Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Survey of how you receive your preshow content

Author Topic: Survey of how you receive your preshow content
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m conducting an informal survey of the ways various theatres receive their preshow content.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-22-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD-ROM from AccessIT.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-22-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NCM over Satellite feed to a central computer that then distributes it to a computer for each individual pre-show LCD projector dependent on the rating of the movie in that auditorium. All of the info for the show times and rating is picked up off of the point of sale system.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 03:15 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say 'preshow', do you mean the slides that show on the screen prior to the main projector starting up? Or do you mean the commercials and policy snipes that often show before the trailers?

Many cinemas in the UK run their preshow slides on a simple 35mm slide carousel projector. In this case, the slides are usually just sent to the cinemas in the mail, and the projectionists load them into the carousel themselves.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 03:16 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD from AccessIT (formerly Unique Screen Media) - Note that this is a playable DVD looped between shows on a separate video projector (they have not switched us over to using the big digital projectors for their preshow yet).

I know Screenvision delivers via satellite to most sites (I know some sites without satellite get content delivered on DVD-Rom)

I know a few locations that get content delivered via Internet to their playback server (it is a looped show and the software can be managed through a 3rd party website).

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 05:00 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
When you say 'preshow', do you mean the slides that show on the screen prior to the main projector starting up? Or do you mean the commercials and policy snipes that often show before the trailers?
Commercials.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NCM, over satellite, just as Darryl described.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm from Val Morgan

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the garbage!! [evil]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 03:48 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt

Many cinemas in the UK run their preshow slides on a simple 35mm slide carousel projector. In this case, the slides are usually just sent to the cinemas in the mail, and the projectionists load them into the carousel themselves.

We have had commercial advertising in front of films for years in the UK. Generally all cinemas still run 35mm advertising; either from Pearl & Dean or Carlton Screen Advertising. In terms of pure pre-show (i.e stuff that runs in the auditorium before the advertised start time; many sites run slide advertising, alot run nothing just normal non-sync music. I'm not sure of any sites that run any digital pre-show, most just go into the 35mm advertising at show time.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-23-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local Carmike theater is in the process of getting switched over to a new pre-show system. For now, the theater is still showing Screenvision 35mm slides. Most of the hardware for the new system has been installed. Just a few more tweaks here and there and it will be up and running, and using the Christie CP2000 DLP projectors.

I don't know if the pre-show will be running at the same brightness levels as the main feature and trailer pack. Hopefully it won't be the dim "video by Braille" I've seen at certain Cinemark theaters.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife Karen has an independent graphic design business. She prepares our pre-show (at reasonable cost) on Premier Pro and we transfer files on a 1GB stick via USB ports to our server at the cinema. then I assemble the files into a play list for showing on our dlp projector. We used to run glass slides on a carbon arc machine, using the butts from the film projectors. Then we ran 35mm slides on a Kodak Carousel, until we changed to the current system which looks great.

Karen has also worked for other cinemas, creating on-screen and in-foyer presentations. These can be static, dynamic or full motion. At our cinema, we do not play sound commercials. Our pre-show is mainly for in-house promotion with limited local advertising (maximum 2 minutes).

Most trailers are 35mm, very few trailers are yet available on hi-rez files that can be difficult to splice into a show.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2008 07:21 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
over in the UK we used to have slides provided (35mm photo slides for a carousel projector) BUT since the dawn of the new year this has ceased. Pre-show content like adverts are sent to us by Carlton Advertising (UK company) as 35mm reels which we attach to the front of the feature films. New sets of adverts arrive every thursday and are changed during the day in prep for the new week on friday.

all of the ads are made up by hand by carlton, rather loosely onto the reel, and delivered in film cans by a nationwide company, NFT (national film transfer).

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-27-2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Preshow? We don't run no stinkin preshow!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: