Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Screening Rooms

Author Topic: Screening Rooms
Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 08:02 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

Ive been looking at pics of brad millers screening room. It looks amazing! http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=15&category=1

I want to do something simular but in a bigger building and not just have one screen have upto 15 screens in one building. I have suppliers for chairs, projectors etc

Was thinking of getting one of these built http://www.dlgconstructions.co.uk/steel-building/industrial-factory-unit-p-17.html on freehold land and not having them build the shutter doors but have fire exits in each screen in its place.

Im crap at doing floor plans for these type of things, If anyone could help by lending me a copy of thier floor plan to get an idea of how to do them then that would be great.

Also how or where do i get the parts for the chairs so each row of chairs are on a diffrent level so people can see the screen?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-22-2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The building dictates the floor plan to a large extent.
Your question about raising seats - you have either a flat floor and a raised screen so sightlines work out(theatre seats are all the same height off the floor, within an inch or so), a sloped floor (the seats have the floor angle built in to the "legs"), or stadium seating with the seats on a series of wide steps.
So for either sloped or stepped floor, the back of the auditorium is higher than the screen end. That means either an excavated screen end or raised back end.
You need to consider accoustics as well. The ceilings and dividing walls need to be designed to limit sound pollution between adjoining cinemas.
There's no set plan! Local considerations abound - laws and such dictating fire resistance of walls, aisle widths, number of seats between rows, number and location of emergency exits, number or toilets required, handicapped access... a million things. A local architect who knows about this stuff is vital.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-22-2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jamie Glossop
I want to do something simular but in a bigger building and not just have one screen have upto 15 screens in one building. I have suppliers for chairs, projectors etc

Hmmmmmmm that sounds like a movie theatre to me.... [Big Grin]

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It kinda does [Smile]

But some of them will be used as gaming rooms,

Also i came across a few programs that might be of some use,

By downloading this software http://www.blender.org/ i could make my own 3d cgi movie and then use http://www.ddd.com/index.html to project it using a compitable projector.

http://orange.blender.org/download Check out the movie they made with it [Smile]

Sam Cat
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2008 10:00 AM      Profile for Sam Cat   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Cat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a 20 metre throw (3 Metre projection Box)I reckon you could go about 13 metres wide at the most.

You could probably get about 220 seats in there.

In our cinemas the projection Box is about 5 metres from the floor. So you would need about an 8 metre height.

Having said that you would need to decrease your riser height in the stadiums.

Probably if you can do drawings around 250mm riser heights with 12 rows.

The stadiums are supported by poles in the bolted to the concrete kind of like how they support stairs.

I have never seen a free standing stadium of ten rows or so in a cinema but have seen a few rows free standing with stadium seating in old tennis centres.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I'd like to know about Brad's screening room is whether it was a separate newly constructed addition to his house, or was it converted from an existing room (garage?) Brad?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: