Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DRIVE-INS: Car-Counters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DRIVE-INS: Car-Counters
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-20-2008 03:08 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since so many drive-ins are operated independently, does anybody still rely on Car-Counters to keep their cashiers honest? We've been testing some more modern counters like parking garages would use, but I stumbled across one of EPRAD's patent details for their Car-Counters and find the detail interesting.

Does anybody still have working car counters and if so who services them? And if somebody out there has updated car counters, what are you using and what are the pros and cons?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-20-2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope....all gone. Too much maintenance; treadles and counters only lasted about a year or two.

Individual owners don't need a counter since it is their own money. There are no "chain" owners left in drive ins. Louis

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-20-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I accept the logic in that. Except I work for a chain of 6 drive-ins. And then there's DeAnza, they're a chain of drive-ins. Somebody else must have car counters!

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try google, plenty of matches!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-21-2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the remains of a drive-in chain up here. They don't use car counters... and neither do we. Unless you charge by the carload, which these days pretty much puts you close to the wrong side of the DVD window, a car counter would only tell you how many transactions you should have, not what those transactions should be.

You'd probably be better off with a couple of well-placed cameras and a recorder. I had a couple of suspected 'problems' cure themselves within 2 days after I mounted one in the boxoffice. Never did get around to hooking that one up. Didn't need it after that.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have electronic car counters per say, we just do it the old fashioned way with either hand tally counters on slow nights or a separate numbered ticket from generic roll stock tickets on extremely busy nights.

We don't have car load pricing at my place, but we use car counts as part of our equation in figuring nightly report data.

We can look at the nightly numbers and see right away if something doesn't quite look right. On average we are drawing roughly 2.3 - 2.6 adult admissions per vehicle, and average of $14.36 +/- per vehicle in concession sales, and each car spends an average of about $30.00 per night while on the property. If any of those numbers skew way too much, then I know I have a problem.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "point" of car counters is to alert the owner of his manager stealing. Louis

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-21-2008 08:45 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the point is also to alert the manager if the cashiers are stealing.

We don't do carload pricing and we do track average number of adults per car etc., but we're still having issues with cashiers not registering 1 or 2 cars and pocketing the charge.

As far as cameras are concerned, how do you run cameras to box offices that are so far from the main building? Our boxes are little tin shacks like these. which offer little to no overnight security.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2008 09:08 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tele-lenses or wireless cameras. Louis

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack said " never did hook that one up" just find some dummy cameras to put in your box office and see if that works. Just the fact that there is a camera there may solve your problem.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fake cameras can do wonders. [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-22-2008 05:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used counters only to make sure we didn't go over capacity.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 04:16 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cashiers scabbing money and reselling tickets was very common when I worked the drive-ins.
One place I worked the manager was the chief thief and taught the cashiers to do it.
And he was able to cover it up, even with a working car counter.

I think that cameras are the best way to keep people honest.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-24-2008 10:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't want to get too far off-topic here, but... we use the RTS ticketing system. It produces one piece of paper, showing the contents of the entire car. For various reasons, pulling a fast one at our boxoffice is pretty difficult.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-24-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently we're on cash registers, so they get one receipt for the entire car contents so reselling isn't an issue. The issue is probably more that we don't have what people consider "tickets" like they'd receive at a walk-so they throw out the receipts much like you would your Panda Express or 7-Eleven receipt.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: