Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Hiring Decision Etiquette (SP?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hiring Decision Etiquette (SP?)
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 06:16 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A close friend of mine went on two interviews with a fairly largeNational company that runs movie theatres and other Amusements . Both interviews seemed to go very very well, he said and the interviewers made a few positive comments on his experience and skills. He also returned all thier paperwork and had an extensive background check performed on him before the second interview. He sais that he was told during the second interview that the interviewers boss was on vacation until the next Monday and that they would call him that Monday or Tuesday to schedule the final interview. The interviewer also said according to my friend that he wanted to move fast to get the positions filled (they are hiring multiple people for similar positions).

That was two weeks ago and my friend has not heard a thing from this company. He tried to call the person who did the second interview and was asked to just leave a message. He sent an e-mail to the person who did the first interview (the 2nd interviewers boss) and has gotten no reply. He has come to the realization that he is not going to be hired here are my questions;

1. Would you tell someone that you want to continue the hiring process with them, when you really have no intention of that?

2. Do you think it's right tell someone that you are going to schedule a third interview with them and that you will call them on a specific date then never call?

3. If you decide not to hire someone do you think you should inform them of such, or just let them figure it out?

4. You members of the forum responsible for hiring people what do you do? Do you tell applicants you have interviewed that you are not interested in person? Over the phone? In a letter? Never tell them?

My friend has been very upset about this. He has other offers on the table but really wants to work for this compnay and is afrais that if he takes another offer that then they will call to schedule the third interview! He doesn't want to keep calling so he doesnt seem like a pain in case they are still considering hiring him. It seems like he is in a really bad position because if he takes another job without bieng 100% sure he could be making a mistake. If he keeps calling trying to find out then they could consider him a pain and decide not to hire him because of that. He's 99% sure that they are not interested and just blowing him off but hes not sure.

[ 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Sean McKinnon ]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-19-2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should call him back no matter what; what they're doing is wrong.

And he should take whichever other opportunity is best; waiting around for a possible job while giving up guaranteed jobs is a huge mistake (one I've done).

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are blowing him off. If they value him as a commodity, they would have it done already. Time to move on. He could try, as a last ditch effort, to give them a "thanks for your time, but if I don't hear from you by such-and-such I'll be accepting a position with so-and-so". Its pushy, but he's not getting this job anyway, so what the heck.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-19-2008 12:02 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Chad and Chris: call one last time, be polite, but then move on. We often hear about inconsiderate potential employees, but there are many inconsiderate employers, too.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-19-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he is a "backup" candidate and they are waiting to see if someone else accepts the job before ruling him out?

It's a pretty crappy way to treat a prospective employee, but I could see something like this happening if there is candidate whom they prefer, but who may not accept the offer.

I always thought that it was rude for employers to list an open position, accept resumes for that position, and then not notify everyone who had submitted a resume (whether interviewed or not) when the position had been filled. I believe that the least that they owe the submitters is a simple "we're not interested" letter. Still, it seems to be common to just ignore resumes from unqualified candiditates. In any case, this guy was interviewed multiple times and is definitely owed a response.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-19-2008 07:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He really wouldn't want to work for such inconsiderate clods anyway. Getting a job is a little bit like getting married; if they treat you this way BEFORE, imagine what AFTER will be like. Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-19-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely with Scott and Louis. I've interviewed for positions with private and public organizations who never bother to get back to me with the outcome, or even "Sorry but you're not the answer we're looking for". It's inexcusable. Did I smell bad? Did I have a booger hanging on my nose? Tell me something, anything.

On the other side, when I recently advertised for an entry-level tech to help me out, I received 70+ applications. I made sure every one of them got an acknowledgement of their application, and later a reject letter or email if they didn't make the initial cut. For the few I interviewed, the rejects also got thank you emails or letters. The company I work for is very good about that but I made sure anyway. It's just common courtesy.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-20-2008 07:49 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget, the internet has changed practically everything in the world of employment hiring, especially to the employer’s advantage. When 20 years ago a company might get 10 applicants for a position, now they get 100. (Think; “Grapes of Wrath.”) It takes time for a personnel department to go through all of the applicants, especially since that personnel department is usually only one guy.

So, I wouldn’t automatically think a company that didn’t get back to me (as described above) was a ‘bad’ company. Inconsiderate, yes, but not bad.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your responses guys. You pretty much echoed what I thought, and I have sent your responses to my buddy in hopes that they will cheer him up. When I was a manager we would get lots of application for floorstaff positions. EVERY application was either called to have an interview scheduled or sent a "TBNT- Thank you But, No Thank you" letter. I can understand though when you recieve many many applicants not having the time to personally respond to every applicant but again, a form letter works nicely. I find it unbelievable that a company would have you come in to interview multiple times (When they know the applicant lives 40-45 miles away and not even respond to an email about it. Maybe they think my friend does not meet thier standards but after this situation they have shown that THEY do not meet HIS, as this is not the way he operates. Again thanks guys! Hopefully your responses will cheer my buddy up, He needs it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-21-2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I frequently received unsolicited CVs, both when working in theatres and archives. My rule of thumb was as follows:

1. If the person looks like a viable candidate from the CV, write and say that you'll keep it on file, and let them know if we're advertising a suitable vacancy. I would often be able to fill posts simply by raiding the files, though in the line of public sector work I'm in now there is a legal requirement to go through a full-scale formal advertisement and interview cycle.

2. If the person doesn't look viable - i.e. their CV doesn't show enough relevant skills or experience to be viable for the job they're interested in at that point, write back with a short explanation of what we'd potentially be looking for, thanking them for their interest but saying that we don't really think they're suitably qualified as yet.

3. Absolutely inform all unsuccessful shortlisted candidates after a round of interviews, immediately after the successful one has accepted the post. If time allows, I'd also try to give them some individual feedback: usually this is along the lines of 'You are perfectly capable of doing the job: it's just that the successful candidate ticked more boxes on the spec'.

4. If you're anticipating too many applications to inform people you don't select for interview, make this very clear in the ad, with a form of words along the lines of 'If you do not hear from us within X weeks of submitting your application, then please assume that you were not selected for an interview. Due to the high volume of applications we anticipate receiving, we regret that we cannot contact all unsuccessful applicants individually'. For one position I had to fill, we had 220 applications. Even with a standard, pre-printed letter it would have simply taken too long to notify all the unsuccessfuls. IMHO it's OK not to, as long as you state clearly in the ad that you're not going to.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In reality, most companies today don't have much hiring manners.

I've had a couple of my kids apply for jobs at what is perceived top notch companies, and they all got the line "you'll hear from us in a week to 10 days." In most case's it was a much longer time frame before they heard than they had been told.

In one case, it was 4 months before my daughter in law heard back after being told 10 days. And they wanted to hire her. She had the pleasure of telling them "your too late."

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
In reality, most companies today don't have much hiring manners.
I'd have to agree. In recent years, I've noticed less and less companies that even bother to send out a form letter. Conversely, I've also noted a decline in the behavior of applicants (lack of proffessional attire for interviews, no shows for interviews, poorly prepared, unrealistic expectations, etc.). In general, the whole hiring process isn't what it once was, for all parties involved.

The thing I find odd about the employers is that so many are turning to a heavy use of personality tests, background checks, drug tests, and skill tests. Yet, they are neglecting the accepted norms of social interaction to such an extent.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Crouch
The thing I find odd about the employers is that so many are turning to a heavy use of personality tests, background checks, drug tests, and skill tests. Yet, they are neglecting the accepted norms of social interaction to such an extent.

The funny thing is that this company did an extensive background check, They checked everything, I wouldnt be suprised if they didnt try to call the physician who delivered him! After they got the results back they set up the second interview so that is why it's so confusing to my friend. He has poor credit but was upfront and honest with them and they said that wasnt such a big deal. Personally, I dont think companies should be allowed to check your credit and use it as a basis to hire you or not. I really do not see what it has to do with anything. If a person get's laid off from a good job and cannot find any other work for a period of time then naturally they are going to fall behind and damage thier credit. Whats to say that a person with perfect credit doesnt have that perfect credit because he stole the money to pay off his bills? For that reason I dont see how you can tell anything, You dont know where the money came from to pay off the bills... Drug Dealing, Theft, Blackmail, Extortion who really knows? As far fetched as it may be that someone with good credit got it through dishonesty it is still possible and its possible that someone with bad credit got it through circumstances beyond thier control so how does running an applicants credit really tell you anything about them?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2008 11:10 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing credit checks is the norm, not the rare. In this day of easy access to all kinds of information it's an option many, if not most, companies are turning to since it's very difficult to let someone go after hiring. If the new employee turns out bad, it reflects on the HR guy. I would not be surprised if a bad credit check *was* the reason they did not get get back to him. They will say 'its no big deal' while interviewing because why start a possible arguement and sour him to the company if he turns out to be the best cadidate after reviewing all who applied? And they are not going to start a fight by telling him it was his credit that disqualifed him.

Of course, I do not know your friend and hope the best for him. But with the internet, your past is easily and cheaply researched. If a company has two otherwise qualified applicants, why pick one with a credit problem?

I went on a interview a few years ago, and they told me if I was called for a second interview to bring my last two paycheck stubs (orginals, not copies.) I could have said no, but they could have said OK, we're not hiring you.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to federl law (The "Fair Credit Reporting Act") you must be told if information in your file has been used against you "Such as denying an application for credit, insurance, or employment" You also must be given the name, adress, and telephone number of the CRA (Credit Reporting Agency) that provided the report. You have the right to request a copy of your report and to dispute anything contained in it. If innacurate information is found it must be deleted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: