Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New seating arrangements

Author Topic: New seating arrangements
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been to the Sheffield VUE cinema (Meadowhall), for the first time since it was refurbished after the flood. They've taken the opportunity to update the auditorium seating as well...

I decided to pay the extra £1 to get a 'superior' seat. However, I wasn't that impressed - the seats are little different from the rest of the seats in the auditorium. They were positioned in the centre of the auditorium, but lower than I would have liked to sit. Instead of having all the seats bunched up together, there is one seat's worth of space between each seat (taken up with a wide armrest). They're also leather-coated as opposed to upholstered seats, but I don't see what the point of that is. I tried sitting briefly in one of the 'normal' seats during the end credits, and it didn't feel any different!

They also have an 'Evolution' screen as well. I didn't go to it though, but it sounds bizarre. You have a choice of sitting on a beanbag, on a 2-seater or 4-seater sofa pod, or on one of the 'superior' seats. I don't see why anyone would WANT to sit on a beanbag for an entire movie, nor do I see the attraction of sofa pods (unless couples want to hug during the film!)

They've also started doing allocated seating now; you have to sit on the seat you are allocated when booking. However, you can choose what seat you want when you book online.

What are your thoughts on the new seating arrangements here? Would you do allocated seating?

NB: If this is in the wrong place or inappropriate to the forum, please feel free to move or delete it.

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 03:05 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do something similar and we just converted an entire auditorium to "luxury" seating.

In our big auditoriums the last 3 rows are leather seats with a wide armrest between every 2 seats; these 3 rows also have about 8" of extra legroom. We do reserved seating for weekend shows only, Mon-Thu they are general seating.

Our full luxury auditorium is reserved seating all the time and has custom side panels, light fixtures, entrance doors, etc to give the entire auditorium a luxury feel. Unfortunately we could not increase the legroom but we did remove a row of seats as well as reconfiguring the front rows with better sightlines (i.e. no seats against the wall).

We also do cocktail service in the auditoriums for busy shows (we have a full bar and customers can take their drinks into the theatres).

I think the reserved seating aspect adds value in that you reward customers for buying tickets in advance with their choice of seats. Downside is you have to police the seating until several minutes after the show starts. Biggest question is does the seating conversion expense and labor get offset with enough increased sales.

The Loews Waterfront theatre in Pittsburg has done a really good job in marketing their luxury seating and for popular new movies the luxury section sells out way before opening day. (of course their seats are really nice and big - it's almost like sitting in a Lazy Boy recliner)

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: