Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Thieves caught on video - now what? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Thieves caught on video - now what?
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is a ground floor question, but it relates to the video store I run rather than the theatre I work in. I hope I can stretch the posting rules a bit...

Someone here is bound to be more experienced with this sort of thing than I am and may be able to offer some sage advice.

The situation is that we've had several DVDs stolen recently from the store, and the other day this young guy was loitering suspiciously, so I captured his photo from the surveillance footage.

Just yesterday, two more DVD's were stolen, and one of them was located right under one of our cameras. I went through the day's footage, and bingo - there's the same guy from the other day's footage (this time with a buddy in tow) and yes, he can be clearly seen picking up the case for the very DVD that is now no longer with us.

What is the best course of action to make sure that this guy and his buddies never bother us again?

I will show the staff the footage so that they all recognise him for next time...but if we spot him in the store, what is the best thing to say or do? I am thinking that showing the footage to the local police may be helpful in case other shopkeepers have reported them already, but I doubt that this will be effective in keeping them away.

Any suggestions? There is a whole world of experience on film-tech. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 04:25 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would call the police and show them the tape then tell them that the next time the guy enters the store you are going to call them. If the tape SHOWS him putting the DVD under his coat or something then I would ask them to arrest him, either way tell the cops you want to place a "No Trespass" order on the guy and his friend. Also, the cops will probably run the guys name so if he has any outstanding warrants or probation/parole they will take him anyway.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 06:17 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh!!!

I just attempted to copy the footage off the hard drive onto a compact flash card. This kept generating an error so I rebooted the recorder. The cooling fans started whining and then the whole thing ground to a spectacular halt.

The techs are on their way but I hope the hard drive is salvagable! Wouldn't it be just the thing if it was unfixable...we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I have the pics of the guy from the other day and now my staff know what (who) to look for. Unfortunately, the recorder powered the cameras - so no cameras over the weekend, either... [Mad]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 04:48 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good/bad thing is they think you're an easy target now so they'll keep coming back-if your footage is lost you will have plenty of opportunity to get new footage.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true. My hope is that next time they enter, the staff on duty will recognise them and ask them to leave.

Once they are recognised, they will not be able to come back successfully and then the mission will have been accomplished. That would be the best case scenario.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I respectfully disagree. The best case scenario would be for this guy to get arrested.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 02:48 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to copy anything anywhere. Call the police, and let them watch the raw footage straight from the hard drive.

Have you tried unplugging the power from the security DVR, leave it unplugged for at least 30 minutes, then plug it back in. See if that helps.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's a freaky break in the story:

About half an hour ago (approx 1:30am) I decided to head down to my local service station/7-11 type place for a snack.

Guess who walks in? That's right - it's our friendly neighbourhood thief! I leave first and get his car licence plates (FWIW, it's a very expensive BMW!). Then I sit it my car (a not-so-expensive Camry), start the engine and turn on the headlights, and sit and wait for him to drive out, with the intention of finding out where he lives by following him home...

Well, he obviously recoginsed me too. This service station sits on a main road and has two driveways on it - one for entry and the other for exit. You can also drive around the building and leave via a back exit. He did this, and I followed him. He sped off, but I saw which direction he headed (at 1:30am, not too many cars on the road). I kept my distance, but I kept up. He turned left, then left again...until he was back on the main road and drove past the service station again! In other words, he could have taken the main, front driveway out to the street and made a left if that's all that he wanted to do. Bingo.

I followed him for another 2 kms or so but then decided to call it off. I figured that I have his plates and can follow up that way. Besides, there was no way in hell he was going to pull up at his house now anyway.

I am hoping that the police will cooperate in following up, especially if I can show them the hard drive footage. If the police knock on his door, maybe I can even get the DVDs back.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 09:47 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that it would be a simple matter to go to the local police station and file a charge for theft of merchandise.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Barry
I followed him.
Probably not the smartest thing to do. What would you have done if the guy had decided to confront you? Call the cops and let them handle it.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Barry
I followed him for another 2 kms or so
I love it! Most of what criminals use against you is the idea the you're afraid of them and they can get away with stuff based on that fear because you'll be too scared to interfere. Cops around here don't pay much attention to property crimes against businesses. Maybe it's the same over there? You probably just kept that guy from ever coming in your store again.

Sometimes taking matters in your own hands can spread a message that you're not afraid to do something. Think about it, how many times have you heard of a theft being foiled by some old lady hitting back with her purse or something similar? I say good for you!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-16-2008 03:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Post his pic from the surveillance cameras in your store and the windows.

If that fails to discourage him, shoot the SOB the next time you see him! Make sure you kill him...ya don't want any law suits! HA! [Wink]

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, since our down-under brethern were forced to give up their firearms Michael might have to use a boomerang on the guy.... Interesting post on crime stats in AUS. link Remember,when boomerangs are outlawed,only outlaws will have boomerangs !!! [evil]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-16-2008 10:02 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The above boarders pretty heavily on political talk, which isn't allowed on the board; just as a warning.

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a joke....or something resembling one... [Big Grin] sorry [Shrug]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: