Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » restrictions on coke bag in a box (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: restrictions on coke bag in a box
Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 12:44 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we currently use coke pre mix, the metal canisters, and want to change to bib. our sales person says that coke has a restriction on bib. they are saying that we aren't doing enough volume to get it. anyone here deal with coke and do you know if there is a restriction or is our sales person just trying to keep their commission up. canisters are more expensive than bib. the margins on bib are much better though.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 02:00 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Coke currently supplying your equipment for free or at a reduced rate(based on volume) as long your serving their products or do you own the equipment? If you're currently leasing the equipment there very well may be a volume threshhold to warrant them sending techs out to do the conversion to BIB. I would imagine that if you were offering to out right buy the equipment they wouldn't be imposing a volume threshhold.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 02:53 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are getting the equipment for free as long as we use their product. The pre mix is just to slow and we are loosing customers at the stand because of it. We have to wait for foam to settle, mostly on diet. Their solution is to switch to 20oz bottles which have even worse margins.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 05:49 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like its time to call Pepsi, or at least threaten to do that. Its been posted on these forums in the past that service from Pepsi is not the best-I can't confirm that myself. The mere threat of dropping coke might be enough to get them to play ball with you though.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Definatetly call pepsi, and then call coke right after and say that pepsi offered to install a post-mix system and also give you this and that and the other thing. Coke should jump to give you a better offer than pepsi. Thats the old trick whenever you want a new sign, or menuboard. I persoanlly know of a very very small and slow theatre that got pepsi to build a marqee for them out in thier parking lot. It's worth a shot!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-08-2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may not have to deal with Coke or Pepsi directly. If there is an independent soda fountain supplier in your area check with them.
The independents usually have products from one or more of the name brands as well as generic brands. Service to smaller customers is often much better than Pepsi or Coke are willing to give, they only seem to be interested is the largest customers. After Coke became indifferent about service we switched to an independent company called Sodibar about 15 years ago and have received excellent service and a better deal on the equipment.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott McGuire
they are saying that we aren't doing enough volume to get it.
That doesn't make sense...as long as you're buying product from them they should sell it to you however you want. The conversion is no big deal.

In our region, Pepsi was EAGER to convert us over to the BIB system. I don't know of anyone around here who's still using the cans.

In this part of the country Pepsi gives FAR better service than Coke. In fact right now we are doing a lobby remodel - we had to remove our Pepsi machine yesterday and reinstall it today after replacing a cabinet. Pepsi sent a two-man crew on a 200 mile round trip each day to take care of us.

It's a pretty regional thing, so your mileage may vary.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy the Coke Bag-In-The-Box products at Sam's Club. No minimums or maximums. Just purchase what you need. And since I am not a volume user the price is a couple of dollars per box cheaper than I can get it directly from Coca-Cola.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-08-2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your equipment is being provided by the supplier at no cost or on a lease, it won't take them long to realize you're buying from Sam's instead of them and they will pull the equipment.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-08-2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy my Coke from Coke... I get it from my foodservice supplier. What should Coke care (and they don't)? It's still their syrup. Been doing it this way for over 10 years, and had my equipment changed out while I was getting it this way.

The impression I get is that the soft drink companies don't look too carefully at volume, unless you're McDonalds or Burger King. Those are customers that would get your attention.

My speculative bet? Scott might be getting his syrup from a local bottler, rather than Coke USA. The bottler's trying to use up their inventory, or has other customers around to prop up their rationale for keeping pre-mix around. I'd be surprised to hear that the national fountain division really cares one way or another.

Roger Summars
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Roger Summars   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Summars       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
You can buy the Coke Bag-In-The-Box products at Sam's Club. No minimums or maximums. Just purchase what you need. And since I am not a volume user the price is a couple of dollars per box cheaper than I can get it directly from Coca-Cola.
Coke and Pepsi both refused to return our calls, no matter how high up the management chain you went. Fortunately, we had an old 6-place post-mix machine laying around that Coke had failed to pick up, even after we called them and told them we set it out at the curb for the trash man to haul off (they almost came un-glued at that idea). Luckily, there are independent companies buying and re-building these great machines, and some of them sell complete refurbished systems that are truly "plug-and-play", and come with some kind of "Soda Dispensing for Dummies" book. I have seen one of these, and they can be put in by anyone with minimal mechanical aptitude.

If I had to do it again, I would still go with the same used machine. We learned to change our own pumps, which cost almost nothing on ebay, and we keep several around as spare. You can change a pump in less than a minute with nothing but a small screwdriver or an ice pick or a pocket knife or an ink pen. Our concession girls keep the dispensers clean, and we buy syrup on an as-needed basis from a local distributor for almost the same price as Sam's.

And we aren't locked-in to selling just Coke or Pepsi products.

Roger

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 02:26 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre, we use the Coke BIB's and the post-mix system. As far as how Coke treats us, I'm only going to guess that it is a good working relationship. We go through tons of Coke and Diet Coke syrups more so than Sprite, Mr Pibb, Minute Maid Lemonade Light and the Coca-Cola Icee's.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Roger Summars
Coke and Pepsi both refused to return our calls, no matter how high up the management chain you went.
Wow, that's amazing.

I should have clarified that we work with a local bottler, not Pepsi national. They bend over backwards to take care of their accounts. In fact the sales rep lives here in town -- the warehouse is in Hardin, 80 miles away -- and he has hauled film for us to the Hardin theatre more than once!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-08-2008 03:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably where the real variables are, Mike. Over here, the national people are MUCH more responsive than the locals.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 03:39 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pepsi all the way, Coke in my experience has been like trying to deal with the devil.
Pepsi has always treated us great, did anything with in reason ever asked of them.
Service? How's on average arrive in less than an hour or less even if it's 8pm on Saturday night when we call.
They've never charged me a dime for equipment or service.

Pre-mix is hard to make any money on, and simply not a viable solution for the fast service times we need.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: