Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Comments on Santikos Theatres in Texas?

Author Topic: Comments on Santikos Theatres in Texas?
Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 09:22 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search and could not find much information on this company. Anyone been to their locations that can offer insights? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 01-24-2008 01:32 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about them, but I thought that Santikos sold a number of their original theatres to ACT III which was later purchased by Regal Cinemas. Then at some point Santikos popped up again, I'm assuming when Regal wanted out of various leases that Santikos owned, causing Santikos to run them again.

This is all just from a cloudy memory back from when I first started paying attention to all this merger business back in the 90's.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-24-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe they have built some new screens recently as well.

Sam

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Santikos has been in San Antonio, TX forever. Since 2000, Santikos bought back some properties, renovated everything and has been building about one new megaplex per year here. He is also expanded into the Houston Market. As far as I know, that's the size of the territory. Very nice cinemas. Good sound and presentation in my experience. Better than Regal...

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the history page from the Santikos website?

quote: the Santikos Theatres website
More than 80 years ago, Louis Santikos, a Greek entrepreneur, brought cinema to San Antonio. Having immigrated to Texas Mr. Louis Santikos opened one of the state’s first nickelodeons in the early 1900’s. By 1924, he had established the first opulent movie theatre in San Antonio, the Palace Theatre. This endeavor was only the beginning as the Santikos Company continued to introduce many more of these grand theatres throughout the decades that followed.

Louis’ son John always shared his father’s passion for motion pictures and after graduating from St. Mary's University, he entered the movie business. His first venture was the Olmos theatre in San Antonio, a successful single screen movie house. John continued to bring new cinema experiences to San Antonio when he acquired and built thirteen Drive-In theatre locations, including the historic Mission Drive-In.

Over the next 2 decades, John Santikos added to his entrepreneurial resume with many more theatres across the city featuring the latest ideas in the industry including the first multi-screen indoor theatres, THX sound technology, 3D digital presentation and art houses.

In 1987, the operational division of the theatres was sold to Act III Theatres. However, in May 2001, John Santikos returned to his beloved business by obtaining the theatre chain he had sold. He quickly reinvigorated the company with his passion for films and business savvy.

He then brought another first to San Antonio, the in-theatre dining experience. He redesigned the city’s only art-house, The Bijou at Crossroads and completely remodeled the Galaxy transforming it into The Rialto Cinema Bar and Grill. Today, the theatre circuit also includes the Mayan, The Embassy, The Northwest, The Silverado and the 19 screen Palladium.IMAX. Santikos first theatre in Houston will open in January of 2008. The highly anticipated construction of the Granada and Legacy Theatres and with future entertainment venues to come, Santikos remains a prominent name as the only locally owned and operated theatre circuit in San Antonio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: