Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » State Cinema, Grays Essex (UK)

Author Topic: State Cinema, Grays Essex (UK)
Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.statecinema.co.uk/

There is a vast collection of photographs to see, the projection room is still fully equipped with 3 projectors and a Brenograph. I visited the State over 18 years ago just before closure and had the pleasure of seeing the box running on changeovers, the platter being only used occasionally. The film showing was Road House with only an audience of 10 in this vast 2,200 seat cinema.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited the State several times while it was being used as 'Charlestons'. The club was located in the foyer, and the main auditorium was only normally used as a fire escape route from it, though occasional events were held. Most of these were organ concerts, but there were also a few others, including at least one boxing match.

The organ concerts were put on by the 'Friends of the State', but I'm not sure what the arrangements were with the then tenant of the building for the use of the auditorium. 'Charlestons' was quite short-lived, and when it closed these events stopped. The Friends presented at least one feature film show, and also occasionally ran short films during the organ concerts.

At this time the projection box looked just as it does on that site; there were three projectors still in place, the one nearest the camera was still carbon, and the other two were xenon conversions. The spoolboxes had been removed, and the large plates fitted in their place, as seen in the photograph. The centre projector is the one which was normally used at this time, and is a Westar; I think the far projector was another Simplex, I know that there were two of one make, and one of the other, and I think it was two Simplex. There were rollers to enable the platter to feed all three projectors, including the one which was still carbon.

The centre projector was the only one which I actually saw running. The xenon lamp in this had recently been replaced, but the screen was seriously under-lit. I think the lamp was a 2.5kW, and it really needed something like a 4k for the screen size they had there.

The Brenograph was largely operational, though I seem to remember being told that the motorised carbon feed no longer worked, worn worm gears I think. At that time one unit, the top one I think, was being used for slides, and the bottom one for effects. That would make sense, since the colour wheel us fitted to the lower unit in the photo.

The spot which can be seen behind the Brenograph is an original Stelmar, with the wires over the top to operate the colour magazine. The similar one from the other end of the box, next to the platter, had been removed, and replaced my a more modern, probably '50s, Philips one. The removed Stelmar was on the floor outside the door to the box. Most of the time during the concerts the Philips spot was used, with the remaining Stelmar only being struck up when both were required, or while the Philips was re-carboned.

I was told by the operators who were there during the concerts that there had been four projectors, and that 3-D had at one time been run with changeovers, on four machines. The fourth one which had been removed to make room for the platter was said to still be in store somewhere in the building. They also told me that the original rectifier plant was intact, and capable of being used, but small rectifiers in the projection box were in use at this time, one can be seen at the far end, and another between the Brenograph No. 1 machine.

The Compton Organ was fully operational, indeed I seem to remember that an extra stop had recently been added to it. There was a grand piano and Compton Melotone unit attached to it, and playable from the main console, though the Melotone was not totally happy at this time. See here for anybody who doesn't know what a Melotone is. There was was also a small portable Melotone organ which I believe belonged to one of the Friends, which was stored in a room in the tower, and brought out and played in the foyer from time to time. The organ console had the illuminated 'jelly mould' surround, which was fairly typical in this Country, and a quite different shape to the unique one on the Compton at the Odeon Leicester Square.

The Organ concerts were introduced by a gentleman by the name of Huw Davis, or it might have been Davies, who I think was Chairman of the Friends of the State.

There were problems with roof leaks at the rear of the auditorium, and possibly elsewhere, though the owners had carried out some repairs shortly before the building finally closed. There had also been some water damage in the toilets, though I think that was a leaking water pipe, rather than rainwater. Only the circle (balcony) was in use for the organ concerts.

If the photographs on that site are recent then it doesn't actually look too bad, considering how long it's been closed.

edit:

Another site I've just found with much more information on the Compton melotone: web page

And one which explains how it actually works: web page

[ 01-19-2008, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Furley ]

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 06:09 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure you are right there being two Simplex projectors, as I don’t even remember seeing the Westar in the middle. The projectionist told me about the four projectors for 3D reels on changeovers!

There was a feature length drama play on ITV a few years ago which included many scenes (if not most) taking place in the projection room. I think it was suppose to be during the 1940’s, there were of course many things you would never had seen during the nitrate days including the projectionist rewinding in the projection room.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 07:35 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow i never heard of this cinema. such a shame its no longer occupied. makes you want to check it out.

im amazed that all this time knowing the Deeper Underground video by jamiroquai i didnt know it was a real cinema. All the time i thought it was some set. incredible.

these old art houses are dissapearing... something must be done!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-20-2008 03:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard,

I think I mis-remembered one detail, it wasn't a boxing match, but a wrestling one. It was due to take place a few days after one of the organ concerts, and there was concern about possible damage to organ console or wrestler, should one fall onto the other. I would have thought that going over the top rope of the ring, and ending up in the pit could be enough to cause serious injury, never mind hitting the organ console on the way down. I think there were plans for protective padding in various places.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 04:22 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrestling and other alternative use allowed might have saved the State, to enable some use of cinema to continue. Surely to also screen the blockbuster films on the release date would have produced good admission figures still.

You may remember a Ben Freidman, who was to become the founder of the Robins Cinemas circuit. Well, he leased the State and run it very successfully for a few years with first run release films, could fill the place with a blockbuster for an admission charge of just £1.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2008 09:47 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it had already closed as a cinema when I first visited it; I only went to a few organ concerts, probably about four or five, and one feature film which the Friends ran.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 04:39 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any other remaining 'old' cinemas from those days? Id love to go and experience some history and heritage. I almost want cobwebs.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 04:58 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter David Bruce
Are there any other remaining 'old' cinemas from those days? Id love to go and experience some history and heritage. I almost want cobwebs.
The State Theatre in Kilburn London is worth a look, now sold to a Church Group.

Cinemas still open, The Rex at Berkampsted is well worth a visit, Art Deco and was refurbished a few years ago and this is one of my favourite Cinemas in the UK.

Also the Electric Cinema in Harwich is of a "Old" style and is one of the oldest operating Cinemas in the UK.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wallpaper at the moment on my pc is the outside of this cinema. I used to visit a pub in banbury where the landlord was the chief at the state kilburn,talk for hours,ahhh happy days

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: