Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Vomit count for "Cloverfield" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Vomit count for "Cloverfield"
Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 02:47 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 for the first show. 1 men's room, 1 women's room, 2 auditorium.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 03:13 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a PG-13 movie what can be so bad in it to make people throw up?

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motion sickness [puke] [puke] [puke]

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KWELL

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 01-18-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did a midnight show on Giant Screen. Didn't notice any foul stenches anywhere post-show. But I did find it difficult to watch for prolonged periods.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 04:16 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to have a theater that had relatively small auditoriums (150) but were quite wide so you were not far from the screen and it was 38 feet wide! When we ran Perfect Storm we had major trouble with people sitting near the screen getting ill and having to get out of the auditorium!!!

It is all a matter of how close and how big I guess! Cinearama screens in the front row for any of the original Star Wars movie major stomach jumps! [Smile] But I like that!

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 04:44 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once Cloverfield ends up in the smaller auditoriums with smaller screens, the incidents of motion sickness should pretty much stop.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaky-cam sucks. Whoever shot this thing should take a class in how to hold a camera steady.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 08:22 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was shot that way on purpose to make look like it is home made on cheap camera! I am not saying that it makes sense but they have a reason!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 08:28 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce the point is it isn't supposed to look like a Hollywood film! Have you seen any of the 9/11 home videos? They were all shaky cam, I don't think you could shoot a hand held movie while trying to run from a GIANT MONSTER tearing the shit out of the city. But hey maybe you can.

On the puke line though...

Had it on three screens last night, 992 people. In the Cine-Capri we had 9 people throw up from the Capri. 4 in the theatre 5 in respective bathrooms. Along with about 15 refunds/readmits for motion sickness.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-18-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, watched 5minutes of this today and that was 4 minutes too long for me.. way too much movement for the eye to follow - as with its mentor - "the Blair Witch Project"

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 08:43 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
should I take all this into consideration and suggest to management that we need to keep it OUT of our larger screens? I mean, even for the last Bourne film we had people complaining of motion sickness... this many reports for cloverfield just makes me worried about the size of the cleanup effort and the fallout.

perhaps stick it in a smaller screen, and pack all the seats? I dont know.. we havent recieved this film yet in the UK...

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 02:29 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, that will depend on how much business it does here. If it tanks pretty fast, then you can probably open it in a smaller auditorium.
Thankfully, not too many people are afflicted with motion sickness, so giving the movie seats will still be fiscally prudent IF the movie does well here.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
It was shot that way on purpose
DAH! But it still SUCKS!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2008 09:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter David Bruce
should I take all this into consideration and suggest to management that we need to keep it OUT of our larger screens?
It might be worth considering. Movies like this (using lots of hand held video camera footage) tend to work better when shown on TV screens rather than big movie screens.

I haven't seen Cloverfield yet, but when I do I will probably sit a little farther back in the theater than the usual seats I pick.

This issue also brings up how a number of movies blown up to IMAX DMR sometimes do not work well on the giant screen. To be specific, I'll mention Superman Returns. The framing on that movie was opened up taller than the 2.39:1 version seen by most people. Still the composition didn't work. Close ups of people were way the hell too close (and blurry -thanks for videotaping in 1080p instead of using film). Rapid movement of objects across the frame were often seen as an unintelligible blur. This especially goes for the opening title sequence with all its CGI planets, pixellated lettering and other stuff speeding past in goofy, spastic, fast forwarded fashion. Ugh. That shit might look cool on a computer screen in a visual effects lab, but it plays like indescribable shit on a giant screen.

So...big tip for filmmakers: compose your shots and camera movements for the scale of screen it will be viewed!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: