Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Kerasotes Buying Almost All Star Cinema Locations in WI & IA

Author Topic: Kerasotes Buying Almost All Star Cinema Locations in WI & IA
Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes to Buy Six Star Cinema Locations in Wisconsin, Iowa

quote:
Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres, LLC has reached an agreement with AGT Enterprises, Inc./Star Iowa, LLC to purchase six Star Cinemas locations in Wisconsin and Iowa. The transaction is due to be completed on January 31, 2008.

The Star Cinemas locations are:

* Fitchburg, Wisconsin
* Johnson Creek, Wisconsin
* Lake Delton, Wisconsin
* Reedsburg, Wisconsin
* Dubuque, Iowa
* Council Bluffs, Iowa

Star Cinema will keep its Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin location, according to the press release (which is included below).

After the sale, Kerasotes will operate 101 theaters with 947 screens in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Colorado and Wisconsin.
Press Release
KERASOTES SHOWPLACE THEATRES TO ACQUIRE STAR CINEMAS IN WISCONSIN AND IOWA

Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres, LLC has reached an agreement with AGT Enterprises, Inc./Star Iowa, LLC to purchase six theatres in Wisconsin and Iowa. Star Cinemas, located in Fitchburg, Johnson Creek, Lake Delton, and Reedsburg, Wisconsin along with Dubuque and Council Bluffs, Iowa, will be acquired in the transaction scheduled to close on January 31, 2008. However, AGT will retain the Star Cinema in Prairie du Chien, WI.

"Star Cinemas are top quality, beautifully themed multiplexes that will be a wonderful addition to our company. The theatres are both a great fit geographically and culturally. The Adamany family and our company share the common goal of providing industry leading movie going experiences for our guests. We are looking forward to integrating these six fine theatres and their dedicated staffs into our organization," said Dean Kerasotes, Chief Operating Officer.

"Kerasotes runs great theaters and shares many of the values that have helped to make Star Cinemas one of the top theater circuits in Wisconsin and Iowa. We're pleased that a company with such high standards as Kerasotes' will be continuing the movie going tradition in these six communities", said Bill Adamany Jr., co-owner of AGT/Star-Iowa.
About Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres, LLC

Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres, LLC is the sixth largest motion picture exhibitor in the United States. Founded in 1909, the company grew from a single store front nickelodeon in Springfield, Illinois to one of the industry's premier companies. Based in Chicago, Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres is managed by third generation family, Tony and Dean Kerasotes, who have directed the company's aggressive growth since the late 1980's. With the addition of the Star Cinemas, Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres will operate 101 theatres with 947 screens in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Colorado and Wisconsin.
About AGT Enterprises/Star Iowa

Founded in 1982 and based in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, AGT Enterprises, Inc./ Star Iowa, LLC currently owns and operates 87 screens in Wisconsin and Iowa, including an IMAX screen in Madison, Wisconsin and one currently under construction in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Star Cinemas are known for elaborately themed lobbies, three lane drive through canopies protecting guests from inclement weather and other amenities such as high back rocking love seats, wall to wall curved screens and digital sound. AGT is the second largest theater operator in Wisconsin and ranks among the top 50 largest theater circuits nationally.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't surprise me a bit. After Senior sold the bank he certainly didn't have to build movie theaters... or do anything for that matter... At any rate, best of luck to the Adamany Family what ever direction they head!!

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2008 03:40 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've received a few messages already lamenting the loss of Star Cinema as a theater chain. They've always done a pretty good job at presenting movies and creating a welcoming atmosphere in their theaters.

Anyone have experience with Kerasotes and their approach to exhibition?

I wonder if Kerasotes will keep the THX certification in Johnson Creek and Fitchburg...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-23-2008 09:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say I am pretty neutral about Kerasotes. Can't say anything really positive nor really negative. When I lived back there I was to quite a few of their locations... They were clean but to me visiting one of them was just being at another multiplex. They are and always had been miles ahead of the now defunct slum theater operator GKC chain...

Heck, Adamanys gave all those theaters their personal touch... Kerasotes is miles away from ever being able to do that. THX and Kearsotes... you got to be kiddin?

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kerasotes location here is sub par as multiplex's go. They churn thru managers like water.
Multiplex is I think about 8 years old, and looks like its twice that age.
Typically, it's rare to visit that location to view a film and not have several presentation problems.
They don't teach their booth personal what a focus knob or framing knobs are, that's apparent.
Concession personal havn't heard of "wipe off the counters".
Pity any theatre that plays a print they've had their hands on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: