Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Film Distributors

Author Topic: Film Distributors
Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are looking for a film distributor in the Mid-South that would be able to get films in DVD/VHS format prior to home release. We are currently using Swank Motion Pictures as we are a non-profit, but if there was someone that could get more and better options sooner we would perfer to use them. If any of you have any contacts that may could help us it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam T. Holland
Chairman
Fiske Theatre Committee
Oak Grove, La.
coachhollandt@hotmail.com

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 03:01 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can check with Criterion and see what they are currently doing in that sort of thing. I have used them for Children series in the summers in the past and they do authorize DVD presentation of films in their library. I know fox is one film company that they represent and several others I don't know if they do current fair or not. I don't have a phone number any more but their web site is http://www.criterion.com they also probable distribute DVD's but you should be able to find your way to booking though the website!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-04-2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than Criterion which Ron mentioned, that's about it (unless you are shooting for really obscure art films). Unless you are in a position to go theatrical, you have to wait for the non-theatrical (DVD) release. There are no more VHS releases, AFAIK.

We're a non-profit theatre running theatrical 35mm in Montgomery, AL. If you'd like to talk with me in more detail off list, email me at  -

[ 01-04-2008, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 03:55 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay the website I posted wont help you sorry it is the retail outlet for DVD sales. I don't have the numbers anymore for them or the web address but will look it has to be in one of my files somewhere.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin M - Putting your email address in your post is illegal on F-T and will get the mods all over you like a cheap suit. Better take it out. People can contact you thru the "who" link.

(BTW this is for your own protection to save you from "spam.")

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-04-2008 05:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least as of a few years ago, 16mm was generally available prior to the general video release, but relatively few features are being printed in 16mm at this point. And, of course, you would need a decent 16mm setup to make this worthwhile. Unless you already have this, it makes more sense to install 35mm at this point.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 05:05 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swank is the contracted non-theatrical distributor for most of the major studios. There is no competition.
Criterion handles Fox.

RPM

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-04-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Moved to ground level. Please pay attention where you create a new thread.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 01-04-2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just hate the interchangeability of how the word "film" is used today. The way I see it is that film=film and DVD/VHS=TV. A movie on DVD is just TV and ain't no film no mo'.

To add to what Richard wrote, there are a number of smaller companies and one-film-wonders that can be dealt with directly on a case-by-case basis.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 12:01 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be clear, what Richard means is that for a given title, there is no competition. If you want, say, Dan In Real Life, and you are not a first-run or second-run venue who may deal directly with BVPD/Disney, then you must go through Swank.

--jhawk

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Martin M - Putting your email address in your post is illegal on F-T and will get the mods all over you like a cheap suit. Better take it out. People can contact you thru the "who" link.
My apologies,forgot about that rule. I see it has already been taken care of.

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help it looks like I am stuck with whatever I can get through Swank until we can get our grant for new 35 mm equipment. We have decided to show the movie Amazing Grace for our Feburary movie of the month since we can't get Beowulf. How did Amazing Grace do for yall when it was out and what can I expect from it. We are a small rural town of about 2,367 in the city limits and 13,000 in the parish. Just watching the trailor it looks like a pretty good movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: