Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Venturing in Cinema Marketing for first time! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Venturing in Cinema Marketing for first time!
Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 08:17 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. happy new year to all.

Although my full time employment is based in projection, i am soon (today, or monday) venturing into Cinema Marketing. im sure its all the same across the world, but my duties will be MANAGING (whoo hoo!) all the POS (posters, banners, stands) plus also initiating local advertising and promotion of the cinema.

ive got a background in print and design... so I hope I can rise to the challenge - now that ive taken it on so enthusiastically!

So I hope, in this topic, I can pass any ideas i have by you lot, and see what you think? It does feel like i might be going at this alone at the cinema, so any advice or guidance on my ideas would be nice.

What would be a good start to my new duties? How should I really approach marketing? Id like to start the ball rolling on any new initiatives i can come up with.

Many thanks again.
Cheers

Peter

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might look into a subscription to Independent Marketing Edge (www.imeonline.com) - they have lots of great tips and suggestions, along with movie reviews, facts'n'figures, ad slicks, release schedules and so on.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Peter and have fun!

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many thanks guys. that website you mentioned... i will consider signing up for the newsletter, but im from the UK so the shipping cha`rges might be a bit high!

i start on monday, doing a 10-5.30 shift learning the ropes. should be good.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2008 09:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter - IME offers an online option, you can read the newsletters and everything in PDF form. I think the price for that is the same worldwide. They're also working on a "vastly improved" website which should be pretty good, supposedly sometime this quarter.

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were you I would try getting one of the books written by or about Bill Veeck. Veeck was a master at promotions in baseball industry working for the Chicago Cubs (He planted the Ivy on the Outfield wall) and owning the St. Louis Browns and Chicago White Sox.

He is best known for having the miget pitch hitter when he had the Browns and Disco Demolition night in 1976 with the White Sox. Both of these promotions brought in thousands to his ball park.

His books talk about numerous promotion ideas that will work in all aspects of promoting events and the movie business and sports promotions can be very similar I would think.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 05:25 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Holland
He is best known for having the miget pitch hitter when he had the Browns and Disco Demolition night in 1976 with the White Sox.
It's a midget pinch hitter, and the Disco Demolition took place in 1979.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 06:59 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay thankyou all for your advice. I will look into these things.

to begin it looks like I will be managing/directing the POS on the cinema. thats posters and banners and the like. one step at a time I can grasp the basics and move onto my own ideas.

i really want to work to boost our local popularity and image. I know as a smaller site we can never reach that level of wow factor that cinemas in the city do, but i do hope to make this place look and feel a bit more respectable.

[ 02-26-2008, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Peter David Bruce ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to you! At least your customers have three easy to remember names to look you up by [thumbsup] .

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is that a good thing?

[Razz]

*grumble grumble*. ive got this whole huge marketing folder to slug my way through. so much to read... need another beer.... [Frown]

my work (or should i say 'training') begins tomorrow.
...come, my child.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2008 01:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter David Bruce
is that a good thing?

Well, over here it would more than likely be Tom Dick or Harry so I would tend to think its good.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2008 06:49 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so today went well. I changed alot of posters, and turned the marketing store room into a little office for myself. table and all. even drilled holes in the wall to hang our poster record whiteboard. oh, and ive managed to get a hold of a few rare beowulf posters for myself as well.

im going in to do marketing again tomorrow. tidying... mostly. just gonna do 5 hours or so. means i will get more pay this week. i need it.

so yeah its great fun, and just making things look good and making people go WOW when they see a display or something is lovely. im pretty proud and soon enough I HOPE to be able to get onto the next pay grade in projection too. im becoming a UK 'brad miller' at our site! (thats a compliment) [Wink] [Smile]

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter David Bruce
Empire Cinemas flagship site is THE EMPIRE (showplace of the nation) in london leicester square. its where all the premiers happen with all the press and crowds. I know as a smaller site we can never reah that level of wow factor, but i do
Humm.... Recent reports I have been told is their Flagship Cinema now closes the Box Office most of the time and one has to buy their Tickets from the Kiosk, and last Saturday night Customers/Guest were seen wondering about unsure where to buy tickets and then walked out [uhoh]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you need people on drop box and concessions, so keep things organised. However it does seem to work rather well as it is.

[ 02-26-2008, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Peter David Bruce ]

Poon Limpapun
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2008 05:16 PM      Profile for Poon Limpapun   Author's Homepage   Email Poon Limpapun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have our Concierges on to the Lobby guiding guests to the Kiosk machines here. We still open our B/O with around 3 staffs. Two handling the cash line and one handling customers with paper coupons and vouchers.

Our Kiosks only takes credit and our cash card and gift vouchers at the moment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: