Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Overtime for hourly staff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Overtime for hourly staff
Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 06:14 AM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious if there are any theatres out there that do pay overtime (time + 1/2) to their hourly employees if they work over 40 hours? Also, what holidays are recognized as holiday pay (time + 1/2)?
Thank you for your input.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 09:11 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that Kentucky is typical of most states: time and a half from 40-48 hours and double time after that: STATE LAW. Louis

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 10:00 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in California, it's State Law that hourly employees get paid (time + 1/2) in overtime pay. With regards to Holiday pay, Pacific Theatres does the Holiday Pay on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day only, but, in order to get the Holiday Pay, an employee must be scheduled to work that day and work the shift.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It varies from state-to-state and sometimes cities. Most theatre owners I know don't pay overtime to floor staff if not required by law...they would just have another employee work those hours. Now sometimes, during holiday periods, it might come to needing one to work over 40-Hours.

I've known some companies that have theatres in multiple jurisdictions and paid it when required by law and not paid it in other jurisdictions. Just as often, I've seen them pay the same across the company.

I have not seen the DT for 48-hours thing that Louis mentioned.

Now different job classifications my have more inherent perks within a specific company. But that is up to the company.

As to Holidays...those are completely up to the company. The Federal government has their holidays that many follow, to some degree. The entertainment industry generally has taken the view that THOSE are the days that they NEED to be open and are prime work days thus no holiday pay. Notable exceptions are often in Union contracts where, like OT and DT pay, specific holiday pay is covered.

One often misunderstood think is OT pay for salaried workers. It is a common misbelief that a salaried worker is not entitled to OT pay for time worked in excess of 40-hours. In fact, it depends on the state/city laws to determine whom is entitled. I would encourage all to read their local, state and federal labor laws to ensure they are being compensated for fairly.

Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, we have always paid OT (time + 1/2) in the event any hourly employee worked over 40 hours, and we had recognized all Federally recognized holiday as time + 1/2 for any hourly employees working those days. I just happened upon what I believe is a National Government web site that says, specifically, that "motion picture theater employees" are exempt from OT pay. this was a surprise to me. That web site is: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp
I imagine that any theater can take that exemption if they wish to, my problem is enticing workers to a job at a cinema as opposed to working anywhere else, such as a fast food joint, etc., that would pay OT if they worked over 40 hours.

[ 01-05-2008, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Tony Monje ]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I believe that Kentucky is typical of most states: time and a half from 40-48 hours and double time after that: STATE LAW. Louis
Most states give you time and a half for anything above 40 per week.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our Cineworld cinema here in England, we get double time for hours after midnight and time and a half for national Bank Holidays such as New Years day and Boxing day etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the majority of your large circuits really crank down on their managers to ensure that no one get's paid overtime. The usual norm for maximum hours is usually 38 to 39 hrs/week.

Paying out overtime is wasting money for the theatre industry since there is no product being made and sold for profit as with manufacturing industries.

We're just another service based industry that caters to the public like fast foods,"big box" enterprises and the like.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 02:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Union contracts with chains in Los Angeles paid daytime overtime for shows starting before 12 noon and finishing after midnight.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We pay overtime on all hours over 40 but we do not pay a holiday rate! Now if I have people working overtime I will be in serious trouble! In fact we have an un-written rule that employees should be under 32 hours as if they work 32 hours on a regular basis they can claim full time employment! Most of our rules are un-written rules as two of the three owners are lawyers and don't like to put things in writing!

Tony Federal rules only apply if they are stricter rules than the state and local and most states don't allow an exceptions for theaters anymore!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 02:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....as two of the three owners are lawyers and don't like to put things in writing!

[Eek!] [Eek!] the WORST type of theatre owners! I pity the employees who work under these conditions!

Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 03:17 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Federal rules only apply if they are stricter rules than the state and local and most states don't allow an exceptions for theaters anymore!

Apparently Texas still observes this exception.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, I have only worked for them for a bit over a hear and a half and have formed no opinion of the long term yet! Well is that non committal enough? LOL I love my job at least I like the pay (not love it isn't that much).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 08:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're describing this poorly. The Federal rules always apply. For instance, no one can make less than the federal minimum wage. On the other hand, if a state has a stricter rule then it will apply.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-03-2008 08:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
I love my job at least I like the pay (not love it isn't that much).

Sorry on this in being so brash in my statement - just that I've seen operations like this operated by those who only knows the value of numbers.

But, true, if you have no complaints and the bottom line is happy on what you do (and getting the paychecks to satisfy your needs) .. that's all what counts.

My apologies, once again

quote: Chris Slycord
if a state has a stricter rule then it will apply.

like some states will allow lower subminimum pay scales, but the restriction on using these lower pay rates are too much of a hassle, and even with legal issues, to where the employer will go the easy route and follow fed min payscale rulings.

- Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: