Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » SWEENY TODD Too Expensive for Marcus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: SWEENY TODD Too Expensive for Marcus
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus Theatres are electing not to show SWEENY TODD due to the price quoted by the distributor, Paramount Pictures. No details were given.

Columbus Dispatch article here.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-20-2007 09:05 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmnm....it's about time. Get a couple more chains to join suit and there goes the dictatorial power of the studios. What would a studio do if they could only open a picture in half the number of screens they usually bank on for their huge opening weekend? Seems to me if a consortium of the big theatre chains and owners were created (I mean one where they actually acted together in concert....like the studios have in the MPAA, not the spineless, wussy NATO), such a group could demand a lot more from the studios than theatres do now.

The very first thing such a consortium could do was simply say, if a studio doesn't agree that they will not release a title until x number of months after 80% of all theatres have finished playing it, they will not book it. Period. How different than the totally one-sided deals which theatres have to live with presently, where the studio can pretty much demand anything -- like a theatre must play a picture for so many weeks even if there are no patrons buying tickets.

Imagine a world in which the distributor has to sign the THEATRE'S Master Contract rather than the other way around. All it would take, my friends, are theatre owners with a set of balls and enough smarts to know how much power they really have. Let's see Paramount make their 100 million opening weekend for SWEENY TODD if they are relegated to distributing it to cable outlets and DVD rental stores, because it doen't meet the Theatre Owner's Consortium guidelines. [thumbsup]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 10:09 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me if a consortium of the big theatre chains and owners were created

That would be illegal. It has happened in the past and the theatres got fined for anti-trust violations.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Box Office Mojo, Sweeney Todd is set to open on 1,000 screens this weekend.

I wonder if that is less than they were originally planning?

Here in Milwaukee, Marcus has made a lot of hay about not carrying the movie. It made the news outlets, and the non-Marcus theaters in the area (all four of them) are happily selling tickets to those who want to see the movie either because they always wanted to or they got interested as a result of the announcements by Marcus.

One theater that I work with was getting calls on Tuesday morning, asking if they were going to be showing it. I got their showtimes fast-tracked through the update process so that they would have that information online as quickly as possible.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-20-2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank...check out the law on Collusion. Wikipedia where defintions are subject to popular vote...

"In the study of economics and market competition, collusion takes place within an industry when rival companies cooperate for their mutual benefit. Collusion most often takes place within the market form of oligopoly, where the decision of a few firms to collude can significantly impact the market as a whole. Cartels are a special case of explicit collusion. Collusion which is not overt, on the other hand, is known as tacit collusion."

A Cartel (also illegal) is:

"A cartel is a formal (explicit) agreement among firms. Cartels usually occur in an oligopolistic industry, where there are a small number of sellers and usually involve homogeneous products. Cartel members may agree on such matters as price fixing, total industry output, market shares, allocation of customers, allocation of territories, bid rigging, establishment of common sales agencies, and the division of profits or combination of these. The aim of such collusion is to increase individual member's profits by reducing competition. Competition laws forbid cartels."

Now you may say..."BUT that is what the STUDIOS are doing!" Yeah, prove it. Form an oranization that sets prices and it is easy. If you have a bunch of independant people coming to same result, that is something different. If Wal-Mart sells a widget for $3.94 and the store across the street drops their price on the same widget to $3.94 (from $4.50)...did they collude or did the other store just want to try and stay in business? Now if you can prove that Wal-Mart and the other Store had a meeting to "set prices" that would be to their economic advantage (siffle competition that would lower prices), then that would be illegal.

So if all if the theatre owners were to, on their own, come to the conclusion that they need to have 50/50 boxoffice splits (from day one) with 1-week minimum guarantee play dates, not release the movie to other avenues [home video]for 1-year....etc or they wouldn't book the films...then the studios would probably move in that direction (or cut out theatre exhibition all together). But it would REQUIRE all to independantly to come to such a conclusion and that no one caves...it is this caving that has gotten exhibitors into their current situation of very poor boxoffice deals. One person will always give up a percent or so here and there when drives the market into the studios hands...they have the goods YOU want. There are not that many studios...it is easier for them to effectly get their price.

Now Regal and AMC would not need to collude since they are such massive entities unto themselves. Either one or if both independantly came to the conclusion that they wanted better terms, they have a much greater liklihood of getting it (and probably do) because they talk with much more screen power...losing either one would be a huge market loss.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theatre chains/owners wouldn't necessarily have to "collude", but rather adopt the same policies and practices as their competition(once one or two of the big chains decide to flex some muscle) seperately and independently; much like the studios do when they draw up their master contracts.

As for a chain not picking up a major release, I remember when Regal didn't open (if memory serves) "The Prince of Egypt" on the break. The numbers were dismal and the studio quickly renegotiated.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
One person will always give up a percent or so here and there when drives the market into the studios hands...they have the goods YOU want.
This is the problem, right here.

There's no way that independently, all of the major chains are going to get defensive. And even if they did, there's always going to be one guy that cracks under the pressure.

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 09:40 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Carmike is not breaking Sweeney in any of its Montana theatres...Interesting... [Confused]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 09:57 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet it's because they didn't feel it would perform as Paramount expects. There is so much blood letting & head chopping in the film that many will find it hard to stomach...based on what I've heard from those that have screened it.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 11:26 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We, Carmike, didn't get it either. Well my theater didn't get it, I can't speak for the other Carmikes.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way the terms from Paramount are no differant than they wanted for Bee Movie.

Paramount as of this past Monday was only making 1200 (35mm) prints. Sounds like a lot of spin from Markus.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-21-2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
I'll bet it's because they didn't feel it would perform as Paramount expects.
I feel the same way about HD-DVD. [Razz]

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2007 05:46 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm surprised that it's opening as wide as it is. I believe it was originally targeted to open only on a few screens in NY/LA, but then decided to open it up wider.

The screen count from boxofficemojo indicates 1249 theaters. We got a single print. Sold out a midnight show last night.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-21-2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
Paramount as of this past Monday was only making 1200 (35mm) prints. Sounds like a lot of spin from Markus.
That may be... but I've known of times when we've been asked to decide whether we want a particular film because the studio orders the initial print run based on those choices. If we had said 'no', we wouldn't have been able to change our minds and would have had to wait until after the initial break.

Whether this is normal, I don't know... but it does happen, and not infrequently.

Might Paramount might have done their print run based on initial commitments from the exhibitors?

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it isn't listed on Box Office Mojo, Sweeney Todd is supposed to expand to 2000+ theaters on Jan. 11 according to Paramount Progress.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: