Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Unusual "I Am Legend" Complaints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Unusual "I Am Legend" Complaints
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 03:02 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight on our last showing of the night for this movie, my coworker had apparently forgotten all about this showing when he was starting his half of the booth so when I got a radio call about it I quickly got it up and running. A little later the complaints started all within moments of each other.

First, the downstairs people tell me that they're complaining about the sound at which point I have to ask what the exact problem is. Then the other booth coworker mentions a sound problem he had earlier that day in that booth that it could be. Then the downstairs people start saying "The sound is starting in the middle." At which point I'm thinking "WTH does that mean?!" Then they elaborate that the guests are saying that the movie is starting out in the middle (I never knew complaints about the order of the movie were sound issues).

As we don't have changeovers, didn't have time to possibly break down the movie & put it back together in the wrong order, and no one else complained the previous showings over the last few days I didn't believe them (even though I hadn't seen the movie). And watching the movie from the booth confirmed they were confused.

So if anyone makes similar complaints... the movie starts out with Smith running around with no one else in site and this is before they do any sort of title sequence.

This also fuels my pet peeve of people relaying problems without a useful description of them.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 04:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
First, the downstairs people tell me that they're complaining about the sound at which point I have to ask what the exact problem is.
I has taken a long time for me to train our floor people -- actually a continuing process seeing as how there is always a high turn-over -- I pound it into their heads that they need to be descriptive and accurate about relaying problems. A typical response to a newbe to a statement like that would be (in a kind and gentle voice), "Son, you are not telling me anything that can help me solve the problem. Go back and get more details." If it is a seasoned manager who should know better, my response would be (sounding annoyed and in a curt voice), "That's useless information; call me back when you know what you are talking about." The latter will usually get me stabbing looks next time they see me, but they won't soon forget to apply what they've been taught.

Two things they are taught to do: relay information about sound and picture that TELLS me what is actually wrong, and 2) NEVER EVER bring me a complaint that they get from a single patron (like, the sound is too loud or to soft) without personally investigating themselves. I tell them, go into the theatre and see for yourself what is going on before taking the easy way out by just calling the booth and telling me what one of our crazed patrons told you. You are the professional; you know what is too loud or too low or any other anomoly. There will always be someone who finds reference level sound too loud. Or the room too hot, or too cold...etc. We don't make adjustments for one individual's personal preference in sound level.

My guys pretty much know the drill by now.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few times I've had someone say it was "too loud" and so I say I'll take care of it, and I go upstairs and then come back down (without changing a thing) and then when I see them after the movie I ask "was that better?" and without fail they say, "Oh yes, it was a lot better, thank you."

Mind games: The professional's choice.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, they only elaborated on the issue once I asked them what the hell they were trying to say.

Though they weren't actually telling me what one crazy person said... I saw with my own eyes (from the mezzanine) as multiple people walked up to them to say something about this.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 10:58 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
A few times I've had someone say it was "too loud" and so I say I'll take care of it, and I go upstairs and then come back down (without changing a thing) and then when I see them after the movie I ask "was that better?" and without fail they say, "Oh yes, it was a lot better, thank you."

Mind games: The professional's choice.

Helluva guy...a true professional, someone to look up to, my hero. Way to treat your customers [thumbsup]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 02:16 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is brilliant!

wish id thought of that one... [Smile] its genius!

remember - 'the customer isnt ALWAYS right'. damn right!

recently we had to reduce all our films from volume 5.0 down to 4.5. i cant see the problem with 5.0.... it IS a cinema - not your front room at home.... sheesh! We have debated this with management but in the end... all films are at 4.5 now and its okay.

I do turn the blockbusters up to 5.2 though just out of spite! speakers are designed to take vol 7.0!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
Helluva guy...a true professional, someone to look up to, my hero. Way to treat your customers
I suppose YOU would have cranked the volume down, thereby ruining the show for the other 132 people in the audience who were having a fine time.

The customer was happy, so where's the problem? If a person complains about volume, usually it's about one little section of a movie. I would rather get the customer back into the theatre to enjoy the rest of the flick than go into a long explanation of why some movies and/or some parts of movies are louder than others.

I should clarify that the scenario in question has only happened maybe three or four times in the 13 years we've had digital sound. As a norm, we get no complaints at all.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 04:05 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I wouldn't have adjusted it unless I went in and heard it was too loud. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel the need to bring it up again to the customer to make myself feel good about myself (or whatever reason you did that for). I don't see a need to put on a show "pretending" to care. It's demeaning to your customers. The very same customers that you spell out the entire name of all features for on your marquee.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for god sake Frank grow up. Your attitude is pathetic. I have seen a pattern over the months/years in your posts that leads me to believe your main priority while working is to make your job as easy as possible, others be damned. Why do a marquee properly? 'Indy 4' is so much easier to spell out that the entire title, or even, god forbid, 'Indiana Jones 4'. Did it ever occur to you that Mike was genuinely interested in whether the customer had a good experience at his theatre? I am willing to bet if the customer had replied to his querry by saying that the movie had still been too loud Mike would have given them passes. I don't know Mike personally but from reading his posts I'm willing to bet that would have been his motivation/course of action. You on the other hand would have likely told the customer too bad, no one else complained about the volume.

Here's a hint-stay in the booth, you obviously don't know a damn thing about customer service.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually if I have a complaint about the sound being too loud, I'll knock it down a fraction. Chances are, if one person complains, there are 10 more in there that think so and don't complain. I've never had anyone complain it's too quiet, well not when it wasn't a technical problem anyway.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would depend on the movie, who complained, more than one? size of the audience. If one geezer said it was too loud on an action picture on a crowded Saturday night and there were no other similar complaints I wouldn't change it. If Bourne Ultimatum played at the same sound level as some romantic comedy it would suck for 99% of the audience. We do run at lower levels on very small audiences. We always check ourselves before changing.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 08:32 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound is extremely subjective. I have checked levels and tweaked things to the point where everything seems perfect, only to have the occasional "too loud" or "too low" complaint. If it's only one complaint, and it's been checked out, then you have to ignore it. Otherwise, you spoil the show for a whole lot of other patrons at the cost of pleasing one, so I agree with Mike Blakesly on this one.

How many times have you heard the "no sound from the surrounds" complaint, knowing full well that you're sitting right at 85db and there is no live track at the point in the film when the complaint was registered?

Then you have your home theater enthusiasts who are used to having their surrounds cranked up, and bitch when one of your houses is properly balanced.

Bottom line is that you can't be all things to all people. Play it the way the director intended, and the bitchers and moaners be damned.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-17-2007 09:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
How many times have you heard the "no sound from the surrounds" complaint, knowing full well that you're sitting right at 85db and there is no live track at the point in the film when the complaint was registered?
I fully concur. I distinctly remember getting a complaint of no sound from them while I'm sitting there staring at the DTS display showing signal from center, left, and right.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 10:03 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one for ya - "Those speakers on the side walls aren't supposed to put out sound - it's just wrong!, the theatre down the street doesn't have them and I've been going there for years"

Of course age was a factor, the theatre down the street was an old mono house and we were the new game in town with all brand new 4 channel systems (this was '90) . . . . not to mention we were militant over verifying proper sound levels almost weekly.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-18-2007 12:55 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the theatre's EQ'd correctly (isn't yours?) then no, I don't go with the whole 'must be played at seven' crap. I do, however, set the levels on peaking dialogue and leave the rest to the director and sound designer/editor.

I therefore go with Mike meaning my levels are just fine for 99% of the audience and the other 1%...I'm sorry, but they just have to suffer. We're not all built the same (thank God)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: