Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Religious fervor about "Golden Compass"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Religious fervor about "Golden Compass"?
Mike Sellars
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Mike Sellars   Email Mike Sellars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in South Alabama as we are, we have gotten more than a few complaints from church groups about our pending release of "The Golden Compass". They range from stating that the author of the books the movie is based on is an atheist and the film is anti-Christian, to the point of the movie is that they kill God at the end, etc. [Roll Eyes]

Anyone else gotten grief for this film? We will show it, of course... but it may come with baggage.

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local Catholic priest has spoken to me about the film, volunteering to forward me all the information that he has received about it from his diocese. He would prefer not to see it played in our small community. I'm not scheduled to play this film on the break, so will wait and see what kind of box-office numbers it generates before deciding whether or not to play it.
Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2007 08:19 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Sellars
the author of the books the movie is based on is an atheist
Oh no!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2007 09:47 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've explained to customers...

Muslims/Jews aren't allowed to consume pork.

So, when they order from Pizza Hut, they order Hamburger.

They don't refuse to go to Pizza Hut because they serve pork.

Likewise with the film.

When you come to the theatre, if you're offended, don't buy a ticket for The Golden Compass.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-01-2007 11:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been playing the trailer for several weeks and I have yet to hear anything except for "When is it coming?"

I'm Catholic, so I'm kind of surprised not to have heard anything. But I think it's more because most folks don't give a shit about this kind of controversy. Only a few noisemakers do. The general public at large couldn't care less. If they want to see the movie they will, if they don't, they won't.

By the way, it's the Catholic League, not the church itself, that is stirring up so much racket about this film.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-02-2007 01:46 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
to the point of the movie is that they kill God at the end, etc. [Roll Eyes]
Apparently that's in the book but New Line insisted it not be in the movie.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 12:11 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading somewhere that this movie would do well but it also said that it would do even better if the relgion card came into play. As some one in the forums said i am just a projectionist so i'm really not sure.I think it will do better if people make it a contrversial film.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 04:23 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When will they ever learn: Controversy = Increased Ticket Sales. It's as immutable as Pi. It ALWAYS has the exact opposite effect of what they want. They keep doing the same thing and they keep expecting different results....just like crazy people.

Just once I would like to see these bishops or Legion of Decency or whoever, come out and promote a film that they actually DO like; tell their parishers to GO SEE a movie instead of only opening their yaps whenever they think they've been offended. You ask a theatre not to play this film, then how about you help boost his ticket sales to compensate and get people to go see the film he WILL be running in its stead. Hmmm....fat chance that.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 09:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's official - the Catholic Church is NOT against this film. The USCCB has given it a rating of A-II, which is basically equivalent to PG-13. (The review will show up on the www.usccb.org/movies website when the film is released.)

The USCCB review says the film is not blatantly "against" the church or religion, and that most of the anti- stuff from the book has been excised and/or would probably go over kids' heads. And they address the fear that the film will make kids want to read the books and/or interest them in atheism this way: The movie will provide a good platform for parents to -- here's a novel idea -- talk to their kids about such issues.

It's only the wackos in the Catholic League (not affiliated with the church) that are condemning the movie.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 12:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, (and not meaning to swing this towards a religious/political discussion) that a leftist group had to create an issue like that - in casting judgement on something that they WANT the rest of the world to believe.

Course, there are a-plenty of leftist groups out there that prob feel the same way on how things should run in general - trying to expose the truth so those exposed issues can be used as tools to be used in their favor with what they believe is RIGHT.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 01:46 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did an inspection screening Friday in prep for the Saturday Sneak Peek. I didn't find it offensive or critical of any faith. I did find it somewhat confusing - I'm not familiar with the books, and they seemed to gloss over several points in the backstory to help me understand context. I understand some of that exposition may be overkill, but to simply build a world without any backstory and give brief snippets of "this is this" and "that is that" simply didn't help me much.

One thing that really bugged me is that they seem to have this great propulsion technology - fusion, fission or whatever, but still required hydrogen to provide lift. And were still using steam trains. Huh???

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Blaine Young
And were still using steam trains. Huh???
Well, that's just because steam enginges are automatically cool.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So TOTALLY, MONUMENTALLY true, Mike!!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Golden Compass will bomb and it won't benefit from the controversy. It's PG-13 rating will be the death of it. They just narrowed their audience big time. The religious will likely take and may even deserve some of the credit for its failure, but it is that rating that will be most responsible.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 11:32 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please explain how a PG-13 rating is going to kill this movie? An R rating would of killed this movie, but a PG-13 will only help it. This brings in the older kids/adults and parents still see it as being ok for their children.

This movie will do mega bucks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: