Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Drive-In questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Drive-In questions
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2007 07:50 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't run a drive in since about 1983 or so. I guess I was over a drive-in in 1985 still but I didn't run it I was City Manager then. So I have a few questions.

1. What do the film companies charge for % now?
2. Do drive-ins still get charged less for first run than indoor theaters?
3. What is the protection zone around theaters where they have to share product rather than open at the same product on day and date?
4. Can you still do Car Load specials?

I ask this because I know someone that is looking at opening a Drive-In after the first of the year!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-28-2007 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can answer a few of these just from being here, although I don't run a drive-in.

1. Depends on the movie, but usually starting at 70% for the first week and going down from there -- but sometimes starting at 60% and for a potential flop movie, maybe 50%. If you're playing off the break, usually 35% or 40% unless the movie is a mega-hit, then it could be a bit higher if you're playing in the first month or so...well, like I said, it depends on the movie.

2. I don't think so, but there are no restrictions on "stacking" two movies like there are for indoor theatres. (A stupid rule.)

3. Are you kidding? That's hilarious. No. If you can gross, you can play.

4. See below. (Edited to move incorrect answer)

Why doesn't your friend register here and ask questions? There's a lot of drive-in knowledge here.

[ 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2007 09:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some one correct me if I am wrong but I thought today that the drive-ins are getting decidedly lower percentage deals than first run indoor venues for product on the break or a couple of weeks after the break. From what I am being told they supposedly are here in my area of Central Pennsylvania.

For example one of the things I have seen in my area is where a drive-in opens a picture on break (say for two weeks as the first picture) and then in the third week drops that same picture to the second feature position behind a new blockbuster that is opening on break as the first feature, the drive-ins have been able to keep the hold-over film (that is now moved into second position at the beginning of the third week) for as low as 10% (All this while the indoors may still be paying as much as 50% or more for that same feature). The reason I am told is that the distributor of the holdover film wants to be able to claim the full amount of the new blockbuster gross as part of the reported total for the holdover film. In this example I am talking about films from two different distributors.

Back when I used to do drive-in booking there were a lot of "combo deals" of two pictures from the same company but I understand this doesn't happen that much any more.

[ 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan M. Crist ]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 11-28-2007 10:14 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding was as long as you kept the main feature and co-feature within the same distributor you could get a good deal. It's when you start mixing distributors that each studio wants their fair 70%.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 09:44 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott's got it. We alway play double features from the same studios... to take advantage of the studio combo deals. The studios do it to pad the numbers of the lesser performing movie, as the gross is usually split 50/50 with their own movies. Why else would you play "Spiderman 2" with "White Chicks"? It's a win - win for both the drive-in operator and the studios. Like Scott said, when you start mixing up studios and pairing films from different distributors, they both want their high percentage rates, and most drive-ins owners (I'll include myself in that) can't afford to do it.

From my understanding some studios will not let you open a movie on the break if you have carload pricing.. I know for a fact Warner Brothers won't. But why would you want to have car load pricing anyway? Carload pricing attracts a "different" type of clientel that usually doesn't spend alot of money on concessions anyway.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So they DO allow carload pricing? Does that result in a different percentage deal? How much does a typical "carload" cost these day?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-29-2007 11:17 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studios don't directly ban carload pricing, because they can't legally force what you charge, if anything. However, as you probably know, they CAN enforce a per-capita admission. Lately, we've received letters that remind us of this policy, though we've always been higher than the minimum that would generate that kind of deal. The studios could also refuse to book you "on the break" by enforcing their pass restrictions. Technically, you're charging the driver and letting everyone else in for free. That doesn't work very well for the studio, so why would they be excited about sending you a brand-new print? I think it's still something like 2%, though some of those letters even restrict employee showings.

I haven't heard that the studios have a heartache over carload pricing for sub-run bookings, but there are only a couple of drive-ins (over on the east-side) that I've seen get a carload price on the break. That was a couple of years ago, so it may not be happening now.

A carload policy does not result in a different percentage deal. The studios aren't going to give you a lower percentage because you choose to give their product away. If anything, you'll probably be looking for flat-rentals on your co-features as a way of reducing your costs, because you're not bringing in much boxoffice income to begin with. That will reduce the quality of your overall presentations, imho.

Your boxoffice report will show the number of tickets sold, though that will be in terms of cars, not actual people. The percentage will be calculated based on your gross, as usual. I don't remember ever getting a worse, or better deal based on how I charged, though better grosses do seem to generate more positive attention.

Barry is right about the kind of crowd that carloads tend to attract. Many of them either don't have much money to begin with, or spend what they do have at the local "beverage outlet". In any case, the per-caps are pretty low with these crowds. Also (from our own experience in the past), vandalism and the levels of trash are much higher, as are cases of "negative customer interaction". Generally speaking, the less your customers invest in your product, the less they respect what you offer... which includes your facilities and staff. If you get tired of dealing with it and go to a per-capita admission, you'll get rid of the rowdies pretty much immediately, but it'll take you anywhere from 2 to 5 seasons to redevelop your clientele.

The drive-in environment is a special place that more families are seeking out. I'm not sure why some owners feel they need to give this away, but it's not something I subscribe to. You can't get the experience we offer anywhere else, whether we manage to get 16fL on our screens or not. It's also a lot of work. We commonly put in a full day before we open for a full night. It makes for a long summer, but it is a lot of fun.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how carload pricing works as it relates to your nightly or weekly boxoffice reports... we've never done it and never will. We charge "per person" and always have an accurate count of both the number of cars on the field as well as the number of people in those cars. Without those numbers it would be impossible to calcualte your "per caps" on concession sales as well as total nightly attendance. Each screen has its own colored and numbered tickets for both the adult and child tickets, so figuring out "how many people" are on a particular screen is not that difficult.

This year our "patron per car" average went up as opposed to years past. We had been averaging 2.3 people per car consistantly, but 2007 we saw that number go up to 2.7 for the yearly average.

In "my opinion" (take it for what it's worth) a charge "per person" has a greater "percieved value" more so than the "see how many we can cram in a car" scenerio. We're charging $7.00 per person for adults and $3.00 per person for kids. The only drive-in close to mine that has carload pricing charges $9.00 a carload.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Barry Floyd
...[W]hen you start mixing up studios and pairing films from different distributors, they both want their high percentage rates, and most drive-ins owners (I'll include myself in that) can't afford to do it.

Years ago drive-in double features from the same studio were the norm. In addition to the percentage combos, distributors often sold the main feature percentage with a cheap flat rate (from the same studio) for the second feature (e.g. $150 for the second feature - which amount could itself be deducted from the rental payment amount determined due for the first feature).

However today .... at least in my area...... I am seeing eye-popping combos from different studios. Case in point the Haars Drive In in Dillsburg Pa (www.haars.com) this summer opened "Transformers" on the national break with "Live Free or Die Hard" as the second feature. Haars had not yet played Die Hard which was then only in its second week of release. And Haars is open weekends only! This is the heart of Pennsylvania dutch country where everyone is proud of how frugal they are. I doubt the owners paid big bucks for that combo.

And for the second week of Transformers the Haars got a different second feature (I do not recall the title).

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-29-2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
Years ago drive-in double features from the same studio were the norm. In addition to the percentage combos, distributors often sold the main feature percentage with a cheap flat rate
That's true. But back then, distribution wasn't so wide, cable and home video (tape, dvd, satellite) wasn't prevalent (or even available), so a title had a much longer life. You could book a co-feature 3 or 4 months out, maybe get it flat, and it might still have legs. Nowadays, pretty much anything you can get flat has been out on DVD for some time, and isn't much of a draw for any kind of theatre.

It is more common, at least among drive-ins that book close to the break, to see percentage deals on both features... usually from the same studio, but not always. As noted above, the total gross for the screen is applied to both films (there is no division claimed on the boxoffice report), so there can be benefits for both sides here. Frequently, both features could be playing as singles in local indoor houses, but the grosses could generate the same kind of returns as if they had been booked separately... especially for a weaker co-feature.

I couldn't speak for the Haar's deal, though it is not something you'd see commonly. I also doubt that regional frugality would have mattered. I'd bet they paid a pretty hefty percentage to get a very good, if not unusual booking. The studio may have gone for it in this case, because tagging along with Transformers would have guaranteed grosses for Die Hard that it couldn't have generated with any other picture. I'd even be willing to speculate that Die Hard "grossed" better in its second week with Transformers than it did in its own first week as the headliner at that theatre.

Single screen theatres frequently have to be more creative about their double feature booking, since they don't usually have the holdover capabilities that a multi would have. In order to keep the normal clientele happy, they usually have to turn their pictures over faster, resulting in higher overall percentages for the season. The smaller drive-ins we had were lucky to get two weeks out of a new film, much less the 3 or 4 that the studios would prefer. Under those conditions, your customers would only have one new opportunity to patronize you each month... not such a good deal for a Summertime business.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry - do you have much trouble with people sneaking people inside the trunk of the car, and that sort of thing? That's something I always heard about people doing, but never actually saw when I worked at the drive-in here.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a problem with the "trunk sneakers" as much as it is with the "beer sneakers". We have a zero tolernace policy on any form of alcohol at our place, and the college-aged crowd seems to think that that rule really doesn't apply to them.

From the very few times I've actually worked down in the ticket booth, my hardest issue with admission has been seeing thru the tinted windows of the SUV's & mini vans to verify the number of occupants in the vehicles. All and all for the most part people are honest.

Another problem we have at our place are the ones who try to move from field to field during intermission. Right now we don't have a physical fence to keep them from jumping fields, but our parking attendants watch like hawks and keep them from doing so.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-29-2007 02:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last three seasons, I've pulled a Sunday eve shift at our local DrIn in the area (in which I began this crazy film career at a "ozoner" and never worked in a "hardtop" until 4 yrs later..) and we run subrun movies. Thus our tix prices are simply 6 bucks for 12 and up and 11 and under get in free.

Doing sub rums, film rentals are cheap and films easy to get since don't have to compete with the 1st runs.

(There's buzz in the works that I might take over this DriveIn for next season...but have to wait and see...)

Working in an "ozoner" is definitely different that doing "hardtops" by a long shot .. seems more funner due to the much larger types of crowds (mainly families that comes out to ours....) and the more variety in the snakbar..

-Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-29-2007 10:57 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope that works out for you, Monte. Sounds like you've been part of that operation for a long time.

We get sneakers from time to time. Over the long haul, Cindy (who manages our boxoffices) and our field staff have developed a sort of radar for this kind of thing... nervous singles, trunks that ride too low, stuff like that. It's not a major part of our lives, but it is an ingredient of the whole drive-in picture. Basically, everything that ever happened at a drive-in is still going on, though the balance is probably different! [Big Grin]

We found that making an announcement when the lights to up at credits, stating that cars may not be moved between fields, has reduced that particular problem by at least 90%. That's on a recording our system now plays on each screen as soon as their light cues hit. We mix that in with exit directions, thanks for attending, second features coming up after a short intermission... etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2007 03:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx, Jack - definitely have to wait and see, but not holding my breath, obviously. Doesn't work out, it was meant to be.

Yet, started in this "ozoner" as a projectionist, never started in the yard, box or concession, yet, have performed work in all departments, including yard cleanup during the day.

When I was off, sometimes I would volunteer to do yardboy work, checking speakers before opening, help park cars, jot down license plates where the cars were parked at, so if a speaker was cut off the line (we didn't have the REED speakers with the steel cable within the audio cable, ours was the the old round 8inch can type and no security cable within..), we had a good success rate of getting that speaker back with help from the sheriff dept.

I was like your boxlady Jack, when I would do box...it was easy to notice those oddities in vehicles where I would radio back in the building for the yardboy to check out this particular vehicle and amazing how the percentage rate of catching sneak-in was very high with our 'spy' system.

Our big thing was the exit side of the yard where we had the one way spiked treadles and how many sneak-ins would lose tires do to those spiked treadles - esp with a well-lit warning sign of the treadle usage.

Then during intermission, we had quite the setup for yard flood lights that did a very good job of lighting the yard so that everyone was seen and could be kept track of..

Yes, I had fun working in a Drive-In and would recommend those who've never worked in one to give it a try ... a whole new world to be in.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: