Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Off duty employee caught drinking (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Off duty employee caught drinking
Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 02:09 PM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of our minor employees (18 yrs old) were caught drinking alcohol while watching a movie. We have a zero tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol. The person who caught them is our security officer, who does security at the high school. He says that if we do nothing, we can be charged with contributing to the deliquency of a minor.

We take our policy seriously, and thus fired both of them (one admitted it, and one denied it). I have not had to deal with this before, and I hated losing one good employee over it (other employee, I can do without).

Anyone had similar issues, and what did you do about it. Could I have done anything else?

thanks

Ramin

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 02:15 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ramin Hashemi
I hated losing one good employee
Drinking in your theater, his place of employment? How good was he? Where was his respect to you, his employer? What kind of example was he setting?

Good riddance to both in my opinion. Rules are rules and they must be followed. Sometimes good employees go bad, or do bad things. In that case, they must be disciplined. I think in this instance you did the right thing. If you let this go, it sets a precedent. Perhaps even an employee meeting is in order to go over rules again.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2007 04:18 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about contributing to the delinquency of a minor, but unfortunately both had to be fired. I say unfortunately, because unlike Frank I do believe you can have a good employee who because of a lack of descretion screwed up, which you feel has happened here. That employee must learn from his mistake and move on. (The one employee in denial likely won't learn and will get in trouble again...but somewhere else.)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-09-2007 06:21 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I'd have to agree with the above.
Last Summer I fired a kitchen person who turned out to be trouble. While he was here, he more or less befriended a couple of field attendants that had worked here for a couple of years. The night I fired the guy, the field people informed me they were going to quit "in support of our friend". Within 5 minutes I had their radios, earpieces and flashlights and they were looking in from the street corner.

Clearly, they hadn't expected us to be quite ready to deal with their tactic. The problem is I don't think you have any choice in the matter. Once you show you're willing to adapt the way you apply your policies, you've lost control. For all the reasons listed above... lack of maturity, bad judgment, lack of respect, stupidity above and beyond... you probably made the only choice you could.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2007 06:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a random, company-wide drug and alcohol testing program in place where I work. An incident with one employee last year caused the program to be expanded to include everyone, not just people who drove crane trucks and such. And I think that's fair.

There's a lot of people in the general public who think they should be able to abuse illegal drugs and alcohol to their heart's content. Unfortunately for them, employers have the right to expect employees to be "clean" and not a walking legal/safety liability.

I'm not sure how the alcohol testing thing works. It isn't something to see if you're drunk on the job right then and there. It has more to do with testing to see if you habitually binge drink. I guess there's certain proteins in your blood or urine that show liver stress or that you're just a freaking lush.

Our system has a sort of "2 strikes" policy to it. If you test positive for something, depending on what it is you may get to do a few weeks of counseling and other stuff as a 2nd chance. Positive tests for certain drugs just get you immediately fired.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-09-2007 08:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is easy and fair to have a "strike one you're out policy;" but only if you apply it evenly. You will need a written list of "things that will get you fired right now...no second chances." (drunkness, drugs, weapons, surly, lieing, stealing, etc.) Make the list, have each employee sign a copy, put it in his employee file for future reference. Be fair. This is cut & dried. Louis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-09-2007 09:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my old theater there was a kid who got caught by mall security smoking pot in one of the mall's bathrooms, got arrested, and trespassed from the mall. Hence he was fired since he wasn't allowed in the mall whatsoever.

And 3-4 people got fired (including an assistant manager) when they got caught smoking pot at a staff screening (the other managers realized they were gone for quite some time and found them in the bathroom).

Though each of those was a long time ago.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-10-2007 01:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't believe in "zero tolerance" anything, because then you're locked into a course of action. I'd hate to be forced to fire an otherwise-great employee because of one screwup.

People make mistakes. Many theatre employees are young kids who are still finding their way in life. I've had employees over the years who were valuable enough to me that I would tolerate a slip-up if it wasn't causing me any harm...and a good chew-out followed by a "I know you're smart enough not to make this mistake again" is better than an automatic "You're fired."

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2007 03:43 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ramin Hashemi
Anyone had similar issues, and what did you do about it. Could I have done anything else?

I've had a few similar incidents over the years. In my opinion, you did the right thing. Anything less would have left the door open for future problems.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so i assume they were drinking on the job then, and not just watching a movie on their free time. otherwise, unless they had glass bottles or were [puke] or something, i don't see what the issue is. you didn't sell it to them, did you?

edit: the topic title says they were off duty... [sleep]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-10-2007 12:22 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though how could the theater owner be charged with anything?

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is "aiding or encouraging improper conduct." Sure, he did it at your place of business but you didn't contribute to it.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the part I had trouble wrapping my mind around: Is this some kind of California law or some local ordinance? I don't feel the theatre is responsible for the deliquency of a minor either. Some of these cops seem to have small-penis issues and like to throw their weight around and make stuff like that up.
Of course, California has the reputation of being more strict than other parts of the country...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is "aiding or encouraging improper conduct."
The guard may mean that, technically speaking, if the employer caught them engaged in underage drinking and DID NOT fire them the employer was at the very minimum encouraging improper conduct.

quote: James Westbrook
Some of these cops seem to have small-penis issues and like to throw their weight around and make stuff like that up.
Which is most likely the case here. It was mentioned earlier that the guard also works in that capacity at the school these former employees attend. Perhaps his comment was a way to even the score for an altercation that began at school.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2007 03:08 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
Some of these cops seem to have small-penis issues and like to throw their weight around and make stuff like that up.

Especially when they are not even cops. Unless I'm missing something, Ramin states the person who caught them is a security officer, not a police officer. Now, I don't know the guy or know the situation, but sometimes security guys can be, how should I say, not so accurate with their interpretation of the law. I'm not saying you shouldn't have fired them - that's your theatre to run - but I don't see any possible way you could have actually been charged with contributing. Then again, California has some VERY weird laws.

My question that I cannot get answered by reading your post, is was this during a regular show with other guests, or was it after hours? I am assuming it was during operating hours unless your security guy stays late. If that is the case, I think there is some grey area here. Essentially, it was a couple underage kids drinking in your theatre, which probably happens on a monthly basis. I know it happens here. Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't have fired them - its your theatre. But had you found them to be drinking elsewhere on their free time would you have been so tough? Odds are most of us managers are well aware that some of our underage employees drink and so long as it doesn't affect their quality of work, we don't pay much attention. This was in the building, but while off work, so I think its a judgement call, not an open-and-shut case. You asked, "Could I have done anything else". I think the answer is yes, you could have, but I don't know for sure if you would have wanted to. I'm with Mike on the second chance ideology. How many of us at one time snuck a little booze in the theatre or drive-in when we were younger?

Is California a "right to work" state?

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2007 03:18 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only had to fire one person for "substance" abuse.
We suspected he smoked pot on his break and we eventually caught him. It was a shame because he was a good worker and not really a bad kid - he just hung with a bad crowd and had low self-esteem.

I think you have to have a zero-tolerance for certain things, like substance abuse and insubordination.

I fired a girl once for getting into an argument and cussing out a customer and then not doing what my Asst-Mgr said when she told the girl to stop. Her Mom called me all upset, threatening to sue, etc. I realized then where the girl got the attitude from.

Now, for general laziness or not doing all your job or maybe back talking in private, or money issues, I'll use the 3-strikes rule.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: