Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Blade Runner in 35mm

Author Topic: Blade Runner in 35mm
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone gotten a 35mm print of Blade Runner? We are told that they are not available.

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2007 08:24 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the Metro Detroit area the Main Art (Landmark) is supposed to get it and last I knew they don't have any digital projectors - my assumption is they are getting a 35mm print. They don't get it until the 16th so until then I won't know for sure.

"The Landmark" in Los Angeles shows that Blade Runner is in "Dolby Digital" which should pertain only to Dolby digital sound on film, not digital cinema by Dolby - maybe call them and as if they have a 35mm or digital.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-02-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a handful of prints of the current version in circulation, but they are probably booked for a while.

The director's cut was reprinted in 1998 for the 75 years of Warner Bros. festival and some of these prints may still be in circulation as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2007 11:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its also possible the 35mm prints were pulled during the digital run which I will say looks and sounds spectaculuar.

Mark

David Graves
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 12:17 AM      Profile for David Graves   Email David Graves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was told by a former colleague currently at WB, there are going be a handful of new 35mm prints of the current "Final Cut" of the film, though they weren't planning on striking any until the digital release at the Zeigfeld in NYC grossed so well. All prints of the "Director's Cut" (from the 1998 reprintings) are out of circulation permanently.

The new prints were struck from the restored digital intermediary (new effects were rendered at 8k!), and feature a cleaned up 5.1 soundtrack- Dolby Digital only as I understand, but he wasn't 100% on that.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 12:11 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discussion of this subject initiated recently in the Happy 25th, 'Blade Runner'! thread (page 3).

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Sydney Australia its rerelease will be in 4k Digital at the Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace. D.Cinema is not rolling out yet here yet, so we are looking at a temporary installation.

Unfortunatly the screen that its going to be on has a pretty terrible speaker system, so I'll probably wait for the home release! I love Vangellis soundtrack and life is too short to hear it that butchered way.

[ 11-06-2007, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Cameron Glendinning ]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 08:23 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hm... i was thinking that BR was too old... perhaps not even on safety film. I forgot about digital screens. Thats one good thing about digital cinemas and projectors... little/no deterioration.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 11-19-2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter David Bruce
Thats one good thing about digital cinemas and projectors... little/no deterioration
You mean other than they are almost impossible to repair on site and are basically obsolete within 18 months?

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um er well

ok so my site hasnt gone digital yet... so i dont know. are there really as many issues as i hear about the new digital age?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread ought to be closed. Please use the other "Blade Runner" thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: