Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Raw popcorn storage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Raw popcorn storage
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 11:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Cretors popcorn machine that has a metal drawer meant for popcorn storage. A while ago we noticed an infestation of tiny "bugs" in the popcorn, so we tossed out that whole drawer full of corn, deep-cleaned everything in the concession from top to bottom and started using a couple of plastic storage tubs for the corn, which are inconvenient to say the least.

We had a bug-removal team come into the theatre and squirt everything, and we've had no bug problems since. It's been at least two years now.

So I'm wondering if it would be OK to go back to using the popcorn machine drawer again, and also wondering what some of you smaller operators do to store your raw corn.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 12:33 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too many clicks

[ 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We keep 3 or 4 bags in a store room on a 4 inch high platform. Another bag is emptied into a closed wooden bin between the 2 poppers ready for use. We're in an inner city location surrounded by restaurants so mice and roaches are a constant battle though neither seems to have any interest in raw corn. Since we started having an exterminator come in every 2 weeks problems have been almost nil.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 12:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have that 'garbage can' on a roller dolly (called a "popcorn containment kit") that we get from Proctor for our seed storage, then transfer the popcorn to the our metal containment bin for our Presidents.

Do you have a Merchant, Diplomat or President unit? If so, I know ALL about these fool things since I've overhauled these danged Cretors units.

(Dang, ask me if I miss a Manley....nothing could cook popcorn better than a Manley unit.)

Monte

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2007 02:13 PM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for Dickinson, we used the drawer in the Cretors Diplomat unit we had. The bulk bags of corn were stored in the back, something like 2" or 3" off the ground. We never had a problem with bugs in the raw corn, even though the concession employees almost never cleaned out the plastic raw seed tub. [puke]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 03:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We purchased 6 real metal garbage cans which are "new" and never used for anything but corn. A chain with clips on the end threaded through the lid handle stops even the most insistent large rat/animal. I never saw the animal involved, but "evidence" stopped with these cans....metal cans.

Corn is removed from the shipping bag to get more in. Louis

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The moisture content of the un-popped corn is critical to the finished product. The "paper bag" is actually layered with plastic film to preserve the internal moisture. Each of our bags has a number on it to indicate the amount of moisture in the corn when the bag was sealed.

Placing the 'raw' corn into another container is ok for a short period of time but it will deteriorate the ability to fully pop if the moisture drops. Once the bag is opened, the corn should be stored in a sealed plastic tub or container with a tight lid. Smaller amounts of corn could be placed in a smaller tightly covered container until it is popped. (About one day's amount is best)

Always rotate the bags of corn so the older ones are used first. If there is a bag with a hole in it, use that bag first. Keep the unopened bags in a cool dry place until they are needed, then open and place the entire contents into the sealable tub.

That is how our theatres handle the raw popcorn stock.

KEN

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
Placing the 'raw' corn into another container is ok for a short period of time but it will deteriorate the ability to fully pop if the moisture drops. Once the bag is opened, the corn should be stored in a sealed plastic tub or container with a tight lid.
That's what we've done since we stopped using the bin in the machine, but I can't say I've noticed a difference in the amount of "old maids" we get. (We use Orville Redenbacher corn.) Either way, we only open one bag at a time.

I'm curious if the bin in the machine is "air tight" enough. It just has a slider lid that covers the corn, but it doesn't seal...just slides over the top.

Monte - we have a Diplomat machine.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those things aren't air tight at all.

1) The cover/slider, at least at my old theater, just sat on top and had gaps if you looked closely.

2) Even the corners of the tray itself aren't really all that "air tight." Obviously, the gaps in those corners are generally really small but molecules seem to be quite a bit smaller.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 09:58 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you didn't get something "in the bag"...

We have two machines here. One is a floor-model Diplomat, and has a built-in seed drawer. The other is an old "President", which we use one of those "garbage can"-type arrangements with. In 21 years here, we've never had a problem with any way we've stored our seed, regardless how we shut down for the season.

In any case, during the year, nothing stays in those drawers long enough to hatch anything. So... I really wonder how you could have had a problem unless it happened to be in the bag in the first place.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2007 12:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. In the bag. I never thought of that possibility but you could certainly be right. At the time of that problem we were using "Mormac" popcorn. We switched to Redenbacher about a year ago.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had "bugs" in brand new opened bag's.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 10:49 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have always kept the open bag of raw corn in its original bag and then placed inside a plastic garbage can that has a lid.
Plus we roll up the bag inside the can when not popping.
And we have not had a problem with bugs. And we seldom have trouble with moisture getting to the corn.

This was the practice I learned from my drive-in days and it seems to work well.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2007 09:29 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My concession girls "accidently" [Roll Eyes] swept some spilled popcorn kernels under the ice machine this summer, and found out a week later that they had "sprouted". Just the right combination of moisture, heat and light... and they had their own "biology project" growing.

We store our kernels in the 50 lb paper bags they come in and then get transfered right to the plastic bin in the base of the popper only when we need to refill it. We usually never have more than 2-3 bags in house at any time.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess with the bugs was that the popcorn was contaminated prior to you getting the popcorn. Unless of course you located another source. I have seen this once and we called the popcorn company. They immediately recalled several lots of corn. I never got any bugs from any type of storage of dry corn. Definatley try to seal largely due to the moisture levels as previously mentioned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: