Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Going Green (as much as possible) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Going Green (as much as possible)
Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a 3 screen historic theatre that has recently made the switch to recycling nearly everything that the customer uses. The only things that have to go in trash are: lids, straws, napkins, popcorn, candy wrappers. My recycling company can take all of my paper/cardboard products. We are a small theatre that would use a 10X10 dumpster each week into the landfills, 90-95% of which is paper. Now we have a 10X10 recycling dumpster that goes to a recycling center. We have only 4-5 bags of real trash per week now. The customers like it and it makes them and us feel good to do something to help recycle. We are still perfecting our separation process, over the next few weeks I am sure we will have it all down to a science.

Only after I put this program in place did I realize that I am saving $140 per month because I went from a trash dumpster to a recycling dumpster.

I will keep you all posted on our progress and post procedures once we get all the bugs worked out.

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G O O D !!

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is awesome for what you are doing. Keep up the great work. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-14-2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2007 03:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You should check out the Penn and Teller Bullshit show on recycling.

This clip doesn't actually show what the entire point of the show is, but it's pretty funny.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Kara is having tangable benefits from the recycling program. In the past, it would cost businesses more when they would try to recycle as the paper recyclers would find a glut in the market and not be able to pay as much, the glass recyclers ditto...aluminum recyclers tend to make the most money.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-14-2007 05:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eugene is green-conscious to an extreme. I bet if one of the two big chains here - Cinemark and Regal - started making a big deal out of being "green" they could siphon off some business from their rival.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-14-2007 11:53 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in NYC, it is all bullshit. I have a few friends in the Sanitation Department and they said it's a huge scam. NOTHING is recycled. The city fines people who don't do the separation, they triple the polution by sending out three fumes gushing sanitation trucks instead of one and those truck bring the separated "recyclables" to the same fill that where they always took mixed garbage. They dump the stuff in separate sections, it's true, but that's as far as it goes. The separated types have never been moved from those piles to any recycling plant anywhere. But the only money the city makes from recycling is the fines it collects from residence to don't get their garbage in the right containers. At $50 a pop, they are raking it in, even after paying all those extra sanitation workers double and triple time and all the extra fuel needed for the two additional garbage trucks.

Sure green is a noble idea, but only if it really IS green and not some bureauacratic scam to fleece the public of its hard-earned money.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2007 01:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes one wonder on this if it's BS or not...for our part of the state began a recycling program with the trash companies with blue tubs issued to each customer to put the recycle in ... and the cities charges the customer an extra 8 bucks on their city water/sewer/trash bill - which is issued every other month whether the customer uses the service or not.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the episode of Penn&Teller Bullshit that Brad referred to, the conclusion was that the only thing worth recycling (from normal household trash) are metal cans. Paper recycling requires a lot of toxic chemicals and doesn't "save trees". Since it reduces the number of trees needed for paper all it does is allow tree farms (where they get the trees for pulp from) to sell and become housing developments thus decreasing the number of trees. Plastic and glass recycling wastes energy because it takes more energy to recycle than just to produce new.

Metal was worth recycling because it takes less energy to recycle than it does to extract from ore.

But.......if you get financial benifit by doing it than go ahead and take advantage.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2007 06:46 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
paper recycling requires a lot of toxic chemicals and doesn't "save trees". Since it reduces the number of trees needed for paper
Burning the paper as a fuel source is as good as recycling the paper (assuming the paper is sourced from managed forests). Landfilling the paper (and any other waste) is not a good method

One odd thing I have noticed with glass recycling is that the local curbside collection sorts the glass by colour when adding it to the truck, when the collections from pubs do not colour sort (the bottles smash when tipped into the truck so there is no chance they can be sorted later).

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have separate trash bins for the customers that say "bags only" "cups only" etc.? Or do you just throw everything in the recycling bin since most of it is plastic/paper anyway. Either way big ol' [thumbsup] to you! Wish more theatres did that!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-20-2007 07:33 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry folks, I'm not going to separate, pay a fee to dispose of a busted computer, drag a recycle bin to the curb on Tuesday. Why? Just too much trouble, doubtful as to whether anything is recycled anyway. Much recycling costs more energy and resources than producing new. In short, I think the whole thing is BullShit. Additionally, in much of the world, one is paid for the stuff that goes to be recycled. If I'm providing the materials for somebody or company to process and resell, why shouldn't I be paid for the raw materials?

[ 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-21-2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
German speaking countries: plastic, metal, white glass, brown glass, green glass, & refuse. Since there is heavy use of wine & beer, I suppose they actually do keep them seperate & recycle.

Still, since glass is just heated sand, it might actually be cheaper to start anew. Louis

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am suprised nobody has considered solar power.

Granted, most of the power consumption of a movie theater is going to be at night - but theaters typically use a lot of electricity and have large amounts of roof space.

If you set up a small to moderate sized solar system like this one, you could offset a bit of the electric bill selling power back to the electric company during daylight hours.
This could really pay for itself quick in California where electricity is expensive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: