Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Doris Duke Theatre in Honolulu

Author Topic: Doris Duke Theatre in Honolulu
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-28-2007 04:07 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although the Doris Duke Theatre at the Honolulu Academy of Arts has been opened for several years, I only decided to see a movie there this past Sunday for the first time when I attended a showing of Derek Jarman's 1986 British film CARAVAGGIO. The film with an early 20th century setting instead of the original 17th century when Michaelangelo Marissisi de Caravaggio lived and painted his many exquisite images was difficult to follow and understand because of Jarman's strange film making technique. The theatre itself was delightful with a seating capacity of slightly less than 300 seats. The theatre is below a brand new wing of the museum that was constructed about twelve years ago and is under ground. The theatre has SRD sound and Josh the projectionist said they can also play DTS if they can get prints with discs. Because the booth is very small, there is no room for a film platter and that is the reason they have two projectors and do change overs. In addition to films, the Doris Duke has a stage with proper lighting for live entertainment. Most of the movies this theatre play are foreign films that Consolidated or Regal chose not to show in their auditoriums that are designated for art films. Although many of the films that play at the Doris Duke are excellent, I think if they played films that are shown at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco, I think they will do much better.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news, Claude.

[Wink]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: