Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How many trailers would you put on? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: How many trailers would you put on?
Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not my intention to whine and complain here, but just out of curriosity, I'd like to know what everyone elses policy on the amount of trailers you put on your movies?
I was at the Carmike in Columbia SC a few days ago with my girlfriend who just graduated basic training. We went to see the simpsons. The runtime of all the trailers, snipes, and screen ads they had up there was well over 23 minutes (I walked out to get my son a soda after that)
To me...thats a little excessive and I know the rest of the audience (7 other people..wow) were not impressed. Do other people do this??

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually run no more than 5 movie trailers, no cell phone snipe, "Feature Presentation" dater, and a digital sound logo with a total run time of 10-15 minutes. We have no pre-show and no rolling stock. I think any trailer pack over 15 minutes is way too long.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2007 09:32 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always play four/five trailers or about 10 minutes worth. - Matt

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always do a cartoon, a PSA and about 4 trailers. About 13-16 min. all together. The cartoon and the PSA aren't seen as ads, but the cartoon as entertainment, the PSA (don't drink and drive, don't polute, etc.) are seen as good neighborly -- and even if some few don't like the PSAs, they are only 60secs and some even 30 secs long....it won't kill them.

If we are running a Roadshow title like MY FAIR LADY or LAWRENCE, we don't play anything in front of the feature (except entr'acte music, of course). We play the trailers out in the lobby instead. The cartoon lovers will just have to come back some other time.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2007 10:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually play four or five trailers, but if a movie is exceptionally popular we'll play six to give the concession buyers more lobby time.

We play the Dolby logo after the trailers. No ads, policies, or any other content.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 02:12 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working for a local art-house chain and a local first-run theatre and both only show app. 7 minutes of trailers & welcome/cell phone/etc. snipes. Same held true when I worked for Landmark.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 02:13 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We play 5 trailers on all features. Then the Dolby, then our Harkins Theatres Presents. If the feature is playing in the Cine Capri then we play the Harkins Theatres presents the Cine Capri before the trailers start. Average Run time is 12 min.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-27-2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Fun thing about working in discounts is that we can get away from adding any trailers if we want to...none of that red tape to follow) ...

But, to be on the showman side .. 2 to 3 tlrs at the most, AND when I get a hot summer movie that definitely has the legs to stay in a disount, then I'll do the digital sound tag - either DTS (the original 'shoosh' tag) or SRD (which has to be either the "city" or "train" tag) - before feature begins.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 08:19 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do 2-3, maybe 4 max . . . our ad show is looped between shows so there are no attached ads . . . . . if a film comes with more and we have multiple prints we will vary the playlist between the same titles.

Years ago my previous employer did 15 minutes of previews - BUT they started 15 minutes early so the advertised time was the actual movie start time . . . . . customers learned that if they wanted to watch previews, come early . . . .

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 10:37 AM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're allotted 15 minutes for ads/trailers, but since we have sponsor logos, often a full 10 mins of ads, and we're pushed to show 4 trailers, we can often run to 20-23 mins.

When possible I cut the trailers back to 3.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a total of 5 trailers, not including our A-Logo & FPS Logos as well as Rolling Stock. The only prints that I don't use the Rolling Stock on are Disney Films. It's company policy to start movies 5 minutes before the actual start-time due to the Rolling Stock, with the exception of the Disney Films which start at the advertised start time. One thing we don't use, and I wish we were allowed to use, are the Digital Snipes.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At VUE cinemas, the actual movie start time is usually 15-20 minutes after the advertised 'start time'. The normal sequence of a movie is as follows:

1. Orange promo advert
2. Pearl & Dean advertising snipe
3. Several commercials
4. pearlanddean.com advertising snipe
5. 4 to 6 trailers, depending on trailer length
6. Gold Spot advert (Pizza Hut for family films, Orange for others)
7. BBFC card and movie

Sometimes, if it's a preview showing or a 'last play' feature, they will skip the commercials and just show a couple of trailers before the movie.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually put 4-5 previews, so long as we can still have 30 minutes between shows, and still finish the last show before 11:00 PM.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-27-2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer pack at Carmike Cinemas varies depending on what studio distributed the feature. I can't remember what restrictions Disney has on what ads can and cannot be shown, but theirs are a bit different.

The growing number of TV product commercials is really serving to bloat the time between projector start and the beginning of the feature.

I don't think very many of the executives calling for ever larger trailer packs are aware of just how irritated the audiences are growing from that nonsense. IMHO, anything over 20 minutes is just plain excessive. Some of those bean counters are probably pushing for 30 minute long trailer/commercial packs. I'll bet at least one jerk or two has floated the idea of placing ads within the movies themselves. Can't we do that sort of thing since the projectors are "digital" now?

Sometimes the trailer pack is long enough that I'll eat most of a bag of Twizzlers and drain half my large cup of soda pop. I run to the bathroom and empty my bladder as much as possible and head to the counter for a pop refill. Usually there's still enough time not to miss the beginning of the feature.

At times customers will chew out the theater manager for the movie having so many trailers and commercials on the front of it -as if the local theater manager has any say on what trailers will be run.
[Roll Eyes]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2007 04:55 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We havent't had a trailer program of less than 20 minutes in a long time. Right now it averages 23-26 minutes with up to 9 trailers. It is irritating to say the least.

Anyone who has been to a Carmike and does not like the number of trailers being played before the feature please go to www.carmike.com and leave feedback. Try to note you hate the screenvisions the most as perhaps that will lead to fewer of those being played; otherwise they may just cut down on previews (which would you rather watch, a preview or a commercial for a new car?). Carmike usually listens to feedback if they get enough of it requesting the same thing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: