Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Ultra Star Theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ultra Star Theatres
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 02:14 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard of this company out of California? We've heard rumors that they are going to be opening up a couple in the valley of the sun. Anyone heard about this or any info on the chain. Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-15-2007 02:48 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ultrastarmovies.com/

Looks like their an all-digital chain if that helps any.

edit:
They also appear to love the phrase "Pure Digital Cinema" as opposed to other locations using the "impure" variety.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 03:17 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris, I can't access there site from work. I'll check it out when I get home. Don't get it, only two websites other then our company page I can access are IMDB and Film-tech.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask MIchael Schaffer about them... he was their tech for a few years....

Mark

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 09:18 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard of this company. I used to work for them about 6 years ago before they went to Digital. I worked as an Assistant Manager at La Costa 6 as well as being a full-time projectionist.

Michael Shaeffer might know if they are going to your area.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 11:10 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pure digital cinema LOL, experience the future of marketing bullshit today! [thumbsup] I tend to think that generally people love hype! When I was a kid, I was at one stage very impressed with the "This Film is presented in Eprad Starscope Sound" Slide.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2007 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed some of the DLP snipes that accompany films today are quite impressive and way different from anything you'll see on film!! They do grab your attention for sure... The last film I saw was in D-Cinema and they had the TI DLP snipe followed by the Dolby Digital Cinema snipe and then by the THX snipe which at the end of all the snipes was so lame I can't begin to describe what a let down it was. Ha!

Mark

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Is this the "Star Cinemas" that once operated the Rio Theatre in Santa Cruz, CA (and whose president is Robert Reis)? Does anyone know.

Mike

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-16-2007 01:51 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they don't have anything to do with that. They are and have been only in southern California so far, and then there are some locations in Mexico under the brand name Xtreme Cinemas. Before UltraStar, the same owners operated the CinemaStar theaters in southern California.
I indeed used to work for them as Director of Engineering for a while, and they are also one of the customers of the company I work for now (Universal Cinema Services). We will be installing the equipment in a new location in Apple Valley, CA very soon (due to open in late September), but since I do not know at what stage of planning some of their possible future projects are, I can not tell you anything about these. Which means I don't know exactly what they are planning to do anyway, but apart from that, I can not divulge any information about possible future projects of our customers until they decide to release that information themselves. But you could simply contact and ask them.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 02:54 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Indeed some of the DLP snipes that accompany films today are quite impressive and way different from anything you'll see on film!! They do grab your attention for sure... The last film I saw was in D-Cinema and they had the TI DLP snipe followed by the Dolby Digital Cinema snipe and then by the THX snipe which at the end of all the snipes was so lame I can't begin to describe what a let down it was. Ha!
I remember the good old days when theaters cared enough about marketing to run the digital sound and THX trailers before the movie started. As much as technical people like to rail against marketing campaigns and slogans, it's the marketing that brings in the traffic.

After all, isn't exhibition show business? It would seem to me that many theaters have forgotten that fact...

After having had to watch 20 minutes of commercials and movie trailers (and that's just the amount of time after the advertised movie start time), digital sound and THX trailers are a great way to cleanse the palate, so to speak, before the movie begins.

From my understanding, digital cinema makes it much easier for theaters to insert such things, so there's yet another reason for why I'm looking forward to the advancement of DC into the Milwaukee area!

Any chance we could get UltraStar to come to Wisconsin? [Smile]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-16-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
After having had to watch 20 minutes of commercials and movie trailers (and that's just the amount of time after the advertised movie start time), digital sound and THX trailers are a great way to cleanse the palate, so to speak, before the movie begins.
I disagree. To me, it's yet another ad. And to me a feature presentation snipe does a much better "job" at "cleansing the palate" in the sense that it lets you get prepared for seeing the actual movie.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could maybe get behind a feature presentation snipe that has respectable 5.1, or even integrate DTS/THX snipes within the feature presentation snipe. Now that would be cool. If not, I think a seperate sound system logo is the way to go. Anyways, people still love the THX snipes, as little as we see them, since it seems certification isn't very important to theatres anymore. (Not that I blame them, it's semi-useless beyond marketing purposes.)

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 01:48 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see the Bee Movie Dolby Digital snipe?

Stupid and non effective. The sound on it is simply loud, not impressive in the least.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a 'Feature Presentation' snipe for many years now, but I do distinctly remember some of them. Warner Village Cinemas (now VUE) used to have a Feature Presentation snipe featuring the Looney Tunes characters.
Cineworld, between the ad reel and trailer reel, has a snipe that says something like "It's nearly time for the movie, but there' still time to get refreshments". They don't have a feature presentation snipe though.

At cinemas in this country, when they play a movie digitally, they often use a mixture of 35mm and digital projection. They take an advert/trailer reel from a movie that's the same rating as the digital movie, and run that first. However, when it comes across the 'switch to scope' cue on film, it switches over to the digital projector almost seamlessly. The fact that the digital image has no bob, weave or film dirt (plus a different reflectance) makes it more noticeable.

Maybe this is the 'impure' digital cinema variety? [Big Grin]

Also, the 'gold spot' between the final trailer and the actual movie has changed in recent months. It used to be occupied by an Orange ad, but now a 1-minute Pizza Hut ad is there for all family films. The reason I mention this is that it contains many sound effects that appear to move round the auditorium using the screen and surround speakers. Apart from a good way to test if the surrounds are working, I don't think this ad is very effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70NSsPUsD0 if you want to see it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-17-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
I haven't seen a 'Feature Presentation' snipe for many years now, but I do distinctly remember some of them. Warner Village Cinemas (now VUE) used to have a Feature Presentation snipe featuring the Looney Tunes characters.
AMC uses a Feature Presentation snipe. It's pretty basic but gets the job done for getting the people in the mode of "my movie's coming up NOW."

But obviously, there are no AMC's in the UK for you to compare it too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: