Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Switch from common width to common height - trend or aberation? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Switch from common width to common height - trend or aberation?
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 12:54 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHen I went to see THE BOURNE SUPREMECY at Regal's Edwards 14 in Bakersfield, I noticed a major, and most welcomed change. This auditorium always used the good-old stadium design of common width screens since it opened. 1.85 for flat with masking lowered to a cropped scope width of around 2.1 or so. Always looked bad for the video ads "pre-show"entertainment")to be larger than the main feature. Well, they have removed the curtain trim that flanked the screen on the sides and have gone to a full scope width that is dead on correct. In addition, they now have side masking that closes in to 1.85, thereby giving it an image no taller than scope (Scope height stayed the same). Very impressive to watch the side masking open and open after the video ads. I walked into the auditorium next door showing the same movie, and they have done the same thing. This has been done apparently in just the last week. I was wondering if Regal is doing this across their chain or not.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 03:29 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question-if the pre-show wasn't bigger than the feature, what would be the problem with common width (assuming proper aspect ratio, which in this case they didn't have). In your post you even point out that the scope image is only slightly wider than the previous 2:1 ratio screen. Other than improving showmanship by making the preshow smaller all that has been done is to make the flat image smaller.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything. I just get really confused when people rant and rave against common width. What am I missing? A common width screen witht he proper aspect ratio has the largest scope image possible in that auditorium. If a theatre doesn't have a digital pre-show or said pre-show is formated to match the feature....what's the big deal?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point is that a scope image shouldn't be smaller than the flat one. And with that, they shouldn't be using screens that have "flat" dimensions to begin with.

But making the flat image smaller just to give you side masking is stupid IMO.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2007 04:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like someone at Regal is making changes for the better. What people are quick to forget is that flat is a noticeably larger blowup. So when you blowup flat to a larger screen image than scope, not only do you have more bounce to the image, but also even less resolution and most importantly, a very dim picture assuming the lamp was sized properly for scope.

Common width screens are evil and flat out stupid by definition. Congrats to Regal!!! [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-08-2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, remember that a flat image puts out much less light right from the projector. Is projecting a bigger image with less light a proper definition of film done right? No way. Then there is the overall film resolution. There is much less to work with in flat. It's like taking a letterboxed LaserDisc and blowing it up to a proper 16:9 screen, and taking a proper anamorphic 16:9 DVD and displaying it in letterboxed mode on a 4:3 TV. Auditoriums should be designed from the get-go to have as wide a screen as possible.

EDIT: Said basically the same thing as Brad. We must have been typing at the same time. He just pressed "Submit" first. I shall be first next time. Just you wait!!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 07:13 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Common height is of course perfered, but depending on the design of the theater, not always possible. No owner is going to say; "Well, I can't have common height layout, I guess I won't build anything at all." People want big screens; that's a money-making fact regardless of techinal issues. It makes no sense to have common height, but end up with a tiny flat image.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 09:15 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off - I personally prefer fixed height over fixed width.

But . . . . . Fixed width is not stupid, it's a business decision by the exhibitor driven by wanting to maximize picture size for each format and thereby impressing the customer base with the huge pictures. I would also hopefully assume a properly set up fixed width screen would have the lamp sized to properly light the flat image (and a qualified operator could adjust lamp power for each format - Christie's digital projector can do this automatically)

Don't forget the flip side of the light issue - instead of improperly lighting flat maybe they are overlighting scope (we don't know how the designers spec'd the lamp size so who are we to assume that they are screwing up the flat picture and not the scope).

Maybe someone at Regal is thinking "smaller flat screen, need less light, smaller lamp, I save money" and not "it's right to do fixed horizontal masking"

The numbers quoted from digital cinema polls show that the US trend is to build more fixed width screens and the European trend is more fixed height . . . . I think the stadium seating trend opened the door wider to fixed width and with good old American competition the theatre with the biggest picture wins.

Unfortunately DCI was seemingly written to economically favor fixed width - i.e. if you have fixed height you need to buy 2 lenses, use a larger lamp and vary lamp power depending on format; but fixed width can be done with 1 lens (all you do is crop 3"-12" of picture).

Bottom line a properly executed fixed width screen will only have the detriment of having to blow up the flat image larger than normal - and right or wrong morally it can still be done technically correct.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-08-2007 09:45 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For any theatre built after about 1960, there is really no excuse for common-width screens. In older theatres where the procenium was built with a 1.33 or so screen in mind, common-width may be the only option for getting an acceptibly large image for the narrower formats.

Personally, I hate common-width, since it usually requires re-framing when changing formats and also (as Brad mentioned) makes the non-scope formats look really bad due to the increased magnification. I actually know of one venue that is common-width for 1.33 through scope. The Academy image looks like Imax in that room, while the scope image is way too small. When the 16mm image is bigger than the 35mm scope image, something is wrong.

Actually, my preferred masking scheme is common-height for 1.66, 1.85, and scope, and gets slightly taller for 1.33 and 70mm.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 11:41 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott; you allude to reframing. This is only required if the vertical is asymmetrical. Most cheapskates who do common width (the work of the Devil) only want to pay to move one masking.

This situation makes what Brad said even worse.

Why not (when designing a new cinema) consult with someone who knows something? Architects!!!? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2007 12:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
For any theatre built after about 1960, there is really no excuse for common-width screens.
Actually take the case of the theaters that have 23 foot wide screens or smaller! Its much more beneficial to be able to fill the front wall with the flat image and lower the top masking for scope of the same width. Otherwise you'd have a postage stamp sized flat image.

quote: Scott Norwood
Personally, I hate common-width, since it usually requires re-framing when changing formats
While I am NOT a fan of cinstant width either it can work beautifully if its done correctly.

If your projector has a turret then there is no re-framing required since you can adjust the stopped verticle position of the image with the turret. Also if you use an ISCO or Schneider offset adaptor on one of the lenses you also do not have to re-frame since that lens can be permanently offset the required amount. Its all a matter of how the equipment is spec'd out and installed.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 01:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal's brand-new theater here has some common-width screens. Only the largest houses have side masking. I don't see it as a big issue, except that in at least 1 of the smallest houses, the c-w screen is off-center for some reason. It's in a corner of the building, might be some kind of issue with fire exits, I dunno.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-08-2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Zylstra
But . . . . . Fixed width is not stupid, it's a business decision by the exhibitor driven by wanting to maximize picture size for each format and thereby impressing the customer base with the huge pictures.
Fixed width is indeed stupid. That brings up my favorite phase on the subject: "Driving Miss Daisy should not be bigger than Die Hard.

I understand it is a business decision on the part of exhibitors. Still, it is a business decision that makes absolutely no sense at all. They're assuming most major studio releases are 1.85:1. That was true back in the 1980s. These days, the vast majority of major studio releases are 'scope. There's plenty of weeks where the Carmike 8 in my town is playing nothing but 'scope films. And this is a trend that is already a few years old.

Flat releases seem pretty rare unless you're looking at indie product. And even there many small studio features are shot in 'scope as well. Hell, you even get cropped-to-'scope dimensions for shoestring budget movies shot on mere DV.

Basically, there's no excuse at all for common width screens.

Carmike's Sikes Ten theater in Wichita Falls, TX has some examples of the worst in common width screen design. A disclaimer, Carmike didn't built this theater (I think Plitt built it in the late 1970s). Carmike added 4 more screens in the late 1990s. Anyway, the six original small houses have these fixed 1.85:1 screens with the emergency exit door to the left or right of the screen. These screens have no move-able masking at all. When the theater was showing movies on film, any 'scope image would fall off the left or right end of the screen. It was like a really bad form of pan and scan. I don't know how they've changed things since doing the d-cinema conversion months ago. But the only other solution I can see is just letterboxing that 'scope image to fit in the already small-ish screen. It sucks, but it's better than the method previously used. At least you see the whole image. Carmike really just needs to build a new theater in Wichita Falls outside of Sikes Senter Mall and far enough away from Cinemark's new theater so they can break that allocation flip flop crap between studio releases.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 03:17 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Fixed width is indeed stupid. That brings up my favorite phase on the subject: "Driving Miss Daisy should not be bigger than Die Hard
While morally, philosophically and ethically wrong I still would not call it stupid - I would go only as far as echoing John Pytlak's article from 2004 that it is a "poor practice" . . .

Still, it is a business decision that makes absolutely no sense at all
It makes sense if the maximization of each format size keeps customers coming back (i.e. wow factor).

Anyway, the six original small houses have these fixed 1.85:1 screens with the emergency exit door to the left or right of the screen. These screens have no move-able masking at all
There was a trend a long time ago to do a 2:1 format - i.e. screen was fixed at 2:1 and flat was cropped top/bottom and scope was cropped left/right . . . painful to watch either format when you knew what was wrong with the picture . . . . . I wonder if this location was built during that trend (there were an AMC or 2 in my area that was set up like this) - Carmike should have bit the bullet and retrofitted these with the true formats when they added screens.

It's too bad that the studio driven DCI spec reverses the image and light quality issue brought up here - i.e. since the digital scope height is smaller than flat the scope image has to be blown up to fill the screen on a fixed height screen thereby making the pixels larger onscreen and losing light -- digital scope uses about 18% less pixels over 20% more screen area . . . the math shows a 37% loss of luminance - i.e. flat is 14FL but scope is less than 9FL . . . . .

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vue Leeds Light, as I'm sure I mentioned in other posts, has fixed-width screens for all its auditoriums. For scope, a single blind drops from the top (top masking) to make the screen the correct aspect ratio.
I've never once seen the picture need to be re-framed after a scope changeover; I assume they have the turret set to project the scope image slightly lower - possibly with one of those adapters.

I also remember going to see a movie in Vue Sheffield, and they actually had both vertical and horizontal masking (4 blinds)! For scope, the top and bottom blinds move in a little bit, while the left and right blinds open up to full width. I think this is only in the large auditoriums though - the smaller auditoriums in Vue Sheffield use either top & bottom or side masking.

Vue Sheffield also have curtains in each auditorium that can cover the screen, but they're seldom - if ever - used.

With regards to luminance difference between flat and scope features, there certainly isn't any noticeable gain in brightness when a feature switches over to scope. Perhaps if you had a light meter, or could switch over lenses in mid-feature without dropping the douser, you might notice it. I've heard that some lamphouses actually have a kind of douser that comes down in front of the lamp and limits the amount of light. This can be used to 'dim' the light for scope features, so that they're the same brightness as flat features. Anyone had experience of this?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-08-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like how movie theaters have common-width screens now. That means my home theater has less to live up to. The movie theaters cannot offer me a super wide picture, only a letterboxed picture. I can do letterbox at home as well. No need to spend money at theaters! I think they should close all theaters since obviously they offer nothing special anymore. They should also flat out fire everyone who works for or services movie theaters. Why exist when they don't offer wide, spectacular images and instead underlight the flat picture?

Seriously, the only people who would justify common width screens are cheapskate morons who know nothing of presentation and not showmen. They deserve fatal full body herpes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: