Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Bourne Ultimatum & motion sickness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bourne Ultimatum & motion sickness
Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had several customers come out of different showings of "The Bourne Ultimatum" complaining of feeling ill and experiencing motion sickness. We have had other films with quick camera work, but it could possibly be that the showings of "Bourne" are pretty full and some customers have to sit rather closer to the screen than usual. Anyone else experiencing these complaints?

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 04:25 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a customer Friday that found the motion of the camera to be too fast for him and got a refund. He was an older fellow.
He's so far the only one I am aware of, but there are probably others. No one has hurled in the auditoriums Bourne is playing in...yet.
The fellow was in our biggest auditorium, with the biggest screen. In a few weeks, when Bourne is playing in "death row" (where our smaller houses are lined up), I suspect the complaints will stop.
Is your theatre located in downtown Weatherford? I knew a girl that worked at a theatre there in the early 90's...

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 07:48 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did have one woman that became ill about halfway through and she reported motion sickness.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-06-2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads-up. We'll be sure to stock some Dramamine in the concession stand for our run.... [Wink]

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2007 12:19 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha, yeah we've had three complaints over the weekend. Luckily the one gentleman who did in fact vomit, made it to the bathroom.
Haven't had a vomit issue since Saw III's brain surgery.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2007 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't encountered that specific complaint, but we had quite a few refunds for people who got there too late and couldn't find seats far enough back... we have it running on a 72 ft wide UltraScreen. There might've been a few more of those complains than usual, but not many more. Since it's such a large screen we seem to get that issue every time it's crowded.

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever sit on the front right seat in a big house? The experience is terrible! Haha I can't blame some people for complaining about the stretched and skewed picture from that angle. [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2007 01:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Blair Witch" - the first one - was a horrible example of rapid camera movement and motion sickness to the hilt! I couldn't even watch that one even when doing focus inspections at our megaplex.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-06-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a puker or two during several Blair Witch screenings, never considered motion sickness as a cause, probably right though.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 01:02 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely right. Many hand-held camera films can cause this. Our brains adjust for our vision when moving around, but if it is an outside source moving, that connection is fooled. My wife is bothered by minor hand-held cinematography, and will simply leave a movie rather than try to suffer through it.
Just reading reviews of BOURNE were a warning to stay away.
To me, this kind of camera work and cutting are so distracting I don't enjoy the movie, anyway.

RPM

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2007 03:36 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember the opening scene in Narc ?

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching a movie once that was shot with the hand-held camera effect about 90% of the time. While not as bad as Blair Witch Project, I still found it very distracting - and had to keep looking off the screen (at the ceiling or sides of auditorium) on a regular basis. Had I kept looking at the screen all the time, I probably would have left feeling sick!

I really can't remember what the movie was called, but it was about a group of men who, after being let down by the justice system, decide to take the law into their own hands. Sound familiar to anyone?

Speaking of which, last time I went in one of those motion ride simulators, I felt so unwell I had to hit the emergency stop button after just one minute! I wonder if I'll survive The Bourne Ultimatum when it comes out?

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just sit in the back 1/3 of the auditorium. You'll be fine. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-12-2007 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard P. May
To me, this kind of camera work and cutting are so distracting I don't enjoy the movie, anyway.

Richard,

Ya really should see it... its a really good film except for the epileptic camera .

Mark

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
I had a customer Friday that found the motion of the camera to be too fast for him and got a refund. He was an older fellow.
He must have come to my theatre last night. He said everything was jumping around and really distracting. He says "When the shot was still, it was good, but the action shots were really distracting". I agreed with him. He felt that I had equipment problems. I told him that other people in internet forums, here, felt the same thing. He left saying he was going to talk to his son and see what he thought.

After he left, another couple validated that all the Bourne movies were like that and didn't feel there was an issue.

Hmmm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: