Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How to get an employee to be more "upbeat?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How to get an employee to be more "upbeat?"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a new kid working in concessions. He's a great kid, a good worker, prompt, reliable, his till always balances and everything...but his voice and manner are so monotone that he comes off as being bored/tired, or sometimes unfriendly. Since then I've heard from some of the other employees that the way he talks is "just the way he is" and I'm baffled as to what (if anything) can be done about it.

When we interviewed him we noticed that he was soft-spoken and had a monotone voice, but we thought it was just shyness and he'd come out of his "shell" once he got more comfortable in the job. But, it's just not happening. I asked one of the girls how we could get him to be more "bubbly" and she said, "I don't think he has a bubble."

Anyone had any experience with this kind of situation? What did you do about it? I hate to fire this kid because he does a great job in every other respect.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2007 02:53 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

In my experiences with situations such as that you're in..

There was nothing I could do but deal with it and hope that the person finally broke their mold and hit a groove.

Unfortunately, a few times, this went to the extreme and I wound up with someone who learned to communicate a bit too much.

Regardless of how the coaching was presented, the kid(s) woudl simply not hit that stride that I looked for and, understandably, lots of 'personalities' just don't accept, or adapt, to chnage or modification.

At this point, it simply is what it is... and with my labor market, as long as they didn't piss off the customer, I was forced to work with those few who filled out applications and actually showed up after they were hired.

The best staff I've EVER had was comprised of 75% exchange students from the Eastern European block & Columbia, South America. Hands down, no questions asked.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than getting him laid, about the only thing I could recommend would be to have everyone else on staff try to be a little bit "extra happy" on the job. Being around that will help him relax and enjoy his job more, as such his personality will become more friendly.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2007 03:40 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Other than getting him laid
O my Gawd!! His initials aren't RG by any chance [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
shoot Mike, with a kid with that kind of personality, he could be a great leader someday being that his monotone appearance can make people feel confortable and relaxed as if there is control and organization due to extreme confidence that he is expressing.

Basically, he's gonna be his own person and it's obvious that nobody is gonna take that away from him.

Don't lose him - you got a winner there.

-Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 04:42 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
we thought it was just shyness and he'd come out of his "shell" once he got more comfortable in the job. But, it's just not happening.
How long has he been there? Because I had someone work with me who was like that (would hardly speak) but then after working there for maybe half a year he started to be more outgoing.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'd be pretty lame to fire him just cause he's on the quiet side, especially since your staff seems to "get" him. I used to be that way and still am in some situations. Does this guy possibly have a hearing loss by chance? Perhaps this guy has a shitty home life that he keeps cooped up to himself, or possibly just one of those guys that never catches a break in life. I'd say find out what kind of things he's interested in (hobbies etc) and attempt to break him out of his mold that way.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-04-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Grand-Poopie-BAH
Other than getting him laid...
Gosh Brad, that's sounds like something I'd say! [evil] [Eek!]

quote: Mike Heenan
...he's on the quiet side...I used to be that way and still am in some situations.
Yeah right, Mike H. You expect us to believe that hogwash? You certainly have tossed caution to the wind as you came out of your shell and are REALLY Far Out there now...so to speak. [Razz]

Since Mike B. is in the film exhibition biz and his employees deal with the general public, it is important that all people in contact with the "customers" present a positive and upbeat demeanor.

To me, even though he may consider his employees part of his "family", in reality they are not. It seems like it's not Mike's calling in life to be a "daddy", nursemaid, or psychiatrist to his employees, but to run his business in a successful way. Sometimes that involves "painful" decisions and actions.

It seems the kid is shy or insecure or is unsure of himself. Perhaps he would do better in a position not dealing directly with the public.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 09:19 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Phil; Disney knows that the people who handle the public are, in fact, actors's too.

It is his JOB to assure that the public he serves is affected positively. To do so he needs to leave his "quiet self" behind and "act out" a sincere positive attitude. His failure to do so after awhile means termination. Louis

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-04-2007 10:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno Louis...I don't think terminating the kid is the answer. I think that should be a last resort. The kid deserves a fair shot at a job that he's capable of handling. Ya know, "the right person for the right job."

Don't know his age, but being fired as a young man for being "a bore" would probably emotionally scar him for life...how sad.

Mike's 1st responsibility is to his family... himself, his wife, and his kids, and his biz. The welfare of his employees, while important , should not outweigh his responsibility to his "real" family.

It's easy for me to arm-chair Mike's dilemma and give "what-ifs", but in general, I think the kid deserves a break and be offered a position "behind-the-scenes" with no contact with the patrons.. at least until he gets his social skills up to par.

Just my 2-cents.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 11:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well to answer the above questions - he's been with us about 3 months, so still fairly new on the job.

As for scheduling him with the more upbeat people -- we've done that, in fact almost exclusively since he started, for exactly that reason...hoping some of the bubbly would rub off. I do hope the problem is mostly shyness and "fear of goofing something up." Once the kids realize that they won't get killed for making some small goof, they tend to loosen up. And, must remember this kid is a sophomore in high school and probably still finding his personality, so to speak.

As to his family - we know them well, they are all great people. They live just up the street from us. The dad, especially has a great work ethic and he is passing it on to his kids.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2007 11:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always set an example by planning something with another employee for them to "screw up" and show this kid that you won't castrate them for it. Just be careful to not overdo it or he could end up as a slacker.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 01:52 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's a great kid, a good worker, prompt, reliable,
and you want MORE? Hey, why not train him for the booth? Then like the rest of us, he can be locked away in a room, never allowed to be seen by the public and all you need to do every now and then is throw a piece of raw meat through the door.

But seriously, if he is not messing up and a conscientious worker (and you get him for minimum wage too boot), as others have said, either coach him specifically for dealing with customers and if that doesn't work, move him. Thing is, coaching him could backfire. Ever see what happens when someone who is naturally shy tries tried to force a peppy Kelly Rippa personality? All of a sudden you've got these weird forced smiles and an uncomfortable demeanor that can look downright scary to the customers. Hey, if he were mute, you wouldn't fire him -- you would just treat it as a handicap and let the damn public deal with it.

Believe me, I would much rather have someone who never winds up short at closeout than some perky idiot who smiles and does energetic small-talk but winds up costing me a vacation at the end of the year because he screws up the cash register on a daily basis.

And you know what? The public doesn't need a sit-com personality behind the counter just to buy some coke and popcorn. You won't loose sales because he's not a gabber; they'll stuff their faces no matter who is selling as long as he's not rude. No one has complained, yet right? Hey, they buy stuff from vending machines, don't they?

Then there's Brad's most excellent suggestion -- the all-powerful get him laid prescription. More than likely it will work wonders. Cautionary note tho -- it might take mulitple doses.

And in that same vein, if you know he is "interested" in one of your female employees, you might suggest to her that she be the one to have a sweet talk with him. Let her be his "mentor;" suggest she encourage him to be more outgoing with the customers. You'd be surprised what a dude will do if he thinks it will please a female of his liking. The PROSPECT of getting laid may be a more powerful incentive than actually getting laid (hmmmm....I take that back; it sounds good, but we all know that when you're 17, that's pretty much a load of crap)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 03:21 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I see where Frank is coming from, I think it is wrong for you to purposely use both the guy and the girl like that.

And it could backfire in many ways. HS kids and their "love lives" have tons of drama which can effect things at work, especially if you're choosing to play with it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-05-2007 04:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm..soph in high school, prob first job ... dang, I'd be shy as well adjusting to the outside world.

And, since he's "under two microscopes" since: 1) his folks know's the Blakeley's, that's just more pressure that he's under, and 2) under his dad's work ethics as well - to keep up those standards.

Ya, leave him alone..he'll come around and do good.Prob by the time he's gets to 17 and gets infected by that horrible disease called "senioritis", he'll prob turn around and be the biggest blabbermouth and has developed that personality and attitude that most seniors develop.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: