Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Drive-in theaters charging $5 fee to bring in your own food (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Drive-in theaters charging $5 fee to bring in your own food
Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2007 11:29 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drive-in dilemma
quote:
Drive-in theaters charging $5 fee to bring in your own food
Some struggling theater owners in the area charge $5 fee for patrons to bring their own food so the screens won't go dark
Monday, July 30, 2007
John Horton
Plain Dealer Reporter
Munson Township -- Don Ross paid $21 Friday night for a parking spot fronting the big screen at the Mayfield Road Drive-In. Sixteen dollars bought admission for his family of four; the rest covered his cooler.

Under new house rules at the outdoor theater, forking over five bucks for a one-night "food license" stands as the only way to bring munchies for the movies.

Basically, Ross' two bottles of Pepsi, sack of McDonald's grub and bag of Doritos needed a ticket.

"If that's what it takes to keep the place open," the Eastlake man said, "I'll give 'em the money."

The pay-to-pack policy is flickering to life at a smattering of drive-in box offices across the country, part of an effort to boost revenues and keep the struggling icons operating.

The ultimate goal of the rule is to discourage outside food and steer more patrons to profitable onsite concessions.

Three of Greater Cleveland's five drive-ins -- North Ridgeville's Aut-O-Rama Twin; Munson Township's Mayfield Road; and Ravenna's Midway Twin -- now charge the fee.

The owner of the other two local venues said he'd consider adopting the rule for next summer.

"But I'm very, very torn over it," said Gary Greive, who oversees the Blue Sky Drive-In in Wadsworth and the Magic City Drive-In in Barberton. "It's tough to make that change after all these years."

Why? Call it tradition.

Emptying the pantry into the car to satisfy the urge to nibble through a double feature stands as a time-honored family tradition at the drive-in. It's right up there with packing pajamas for the kids so they can fall asleep in the back seat after intermission.

Asking customers to pay to keep that perk is "fairly controversial" within the industry, said drive-in promoter Jennifer Sherer Janisch.

She said only a small portion of the nation's nearly 400 remaining outdoor theaters have adopted the policy since it premiered a decade ago near Baltimore.

Typically, box office workers ask patrons whether they're bringing food and inform them of the license (there are also signs alerting visitors as they come in). Staff members also walk around to check if anyone sneaked some food through. Some venues will double the license fee for violators.

"Some places that were thinking of doing it shied away" given worries over upsetting visitors and losing business, said Janisch, who operates the Web site Drive-ins.com.

But supporters call the fee a matter of survival.

The Aut-O-Rama added the surcharge last year to boost the bottom line. Owner Deb Sherman said she heard objections throughout the season; one angry patron even called local police.

But despite the rough transition, the policy paid off. Sherman said the fee - plus increased business at the concession stand, where any theater makes most of its money - helped finance some of the first improvements in years at the screens along Lorain Road.

Sherman said she has heard little grumbling about the fee this year.

"We're not trying to take every last dollar out of people's pockets," Sherman said. "We're just trying to stay open."

The opening previews at the Mayfield Road Drive-In on Friday night told the grim tale of drive-ins, and how more than 90 percent of those operating four decades ago now exist only as memories. The short feature implored viewers to patronize the snack bar.

Owner John Knepp - who also runs the Midway Twin in Portage County - said most people understand the reason for the extra charge once it's explained.

Customers camped in front of the big screen along U.S. 322 on Friday seemed accepting of the new rule. Out of eight license holders surveyed before the late-night feature started, only one criticized the charge. (Scott Davis of Eastlake called the charge "tacky.")

The rest said the fee's a small price to pay to keep their coolers and help the drive-in. "It's better doing this than having them close," said Jill Calabrese of Richmond Heights, as she watched her 3-year-old daughter run around in the twilight before the show. "I'd hate to see a day where our kids couldn't experience this."

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-02-2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why anyone would gripe about this. I don't know what drive-ins charge for food, but I would think you could easily spend that much at the concession stand for even one person. A $5 charge to bring in your own stuff is very nominal. People should quit being such dick-heads.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-02-2007 12:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The people who would complain just don't understand or care about the economics of the business and the fact that concessions is what keeps most theaters open. You could explain it to them until you're blue in the face and all they would care about is their perception that they're getting "screwed" by being charged $4 for a Coke. To them it's the principle of the thing.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2007 10:55 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local drive-in's concession prices are less expensive than my theatre's concessions, and they offer more food items, including the infamous "Chihuahua Sandwich".

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-02-2007 11:41 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the topics that occupy the minds of drive-in owners everywhere, this one seems to be a perennial favorite.

There are those who feel that drive-ins should be no different than indoor theatres. You can't bring your own stuff in there (ok... you're not supposed to). You can't bring your own stuff into a sports stadium. Burger King probably wouldn't want to see you eating KFC in their place. So... why allow it at the drive-in? Of all places that have instituted the policy, new builds seem to have the least trouble, though some "legacy" theatres have gone this route.

Others, including myself, wouldn't touch the idea with a 10 foot pole. We prefer to let our product speak for itself. Many of us have concessions that are hard pressed to handle the business we now get, without trying to pressure (guilt) our customers into spending more. We package the concessions as part of the experience, an approach that works well for us. As for the image that drive-ins are all on the verge, I frankly doubt there are many that are really hanging on by whether you buy a hot dog or not.

Each side has strong arguments for going one way or the other, and few have been convinced otherwise. Like most every drive-in around, this is one of many elements that seem to make us all unique.

Rodeo Drive-In
Home of the infamous "Pizza Dog"!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing I have noticed is that in every story about drive ins, they always emphasize the "few remaining drive-ins," as if they're disappearing....but aren't their numbers growing a bit these days??

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 01:30 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much. There have been a bunch of them built in Texas recently, and a few in other states. Past that, one closes somewhere, and another reopens somewhere else. The reporters don't usually get much factual information past the local theatre they're doing their story about. More often than not, they get a big kick out of being seen, climbing out of a trunk.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 02:49 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not counting the old Kapiolani Drive In Theatre that closed long before the others opened because it had to make way for other business development, Honolulu had a total of four drive in theatres. One of them, the Kailua Drive In operated by Pacific was equipped with the Norelco 70mm projectors from the long defunct Kaiser Dome which was located on the grounds of the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel. Despite the fact that a lot of films played in 70mm in Hawaii, only "MY FAIR LADY" played in the wide format at the Kailua D.I. All of our drive in theares are gone now and everytime I think about them, I still remember the goods times I enjoyed at these outdoor venues with my friends.

-Claude

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 04:01 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tickets without a discount card for a family of 4 would rack up a little under $65 (~$55US) at some of the hardtops here, before concessions. (wow dollars doing great [thumbsup] )

Drive-ins are excellent value, but they must also struggle to survive at low prices. Aggressive internal promotion should not be seen as tacky, its a survival tactic.

Furthermore, why do people feel the need to complain? When at work I am constantly harassed by people who feel that their particular problem is huge. I follow procedure and maintain tact and courtesy and solve these people's problems, but its all me me me. There is so much selfishness around these days, especially at Christmas, "the rude season". People will jump at anything, like additional food charges, just to whine, sad really.

Out of curiosity, does this charge include "cooking-in"?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-03-2007 06:17 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In defense of the charge for "outside food."

One possibility is to ban outside food outright, like every other place with an admission charge (Ky Derby, professional sports, Indy 500, Little League baseball, high school sports, etc.)

The charge for a "one night license" was seen as a way to help people with dietary problems and, if more than 2 are in the car, is actually quite reasonable.

In Kentucky, it is also a way to keep people out who try to sell beer from their car...an illegal act. Louis

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in this day and age it is just, some venues over here prohibit you bringing in any food or drink at all , ie football car racing , they wont let you in at all you have to pay highly inflated prices if you want food or drink.

The drive in I operated had a quality food reputation, we sold good servings at cheap prices , people would coming in just to get a good cheap feed and catch a couple of movies while they were there.

Operated correctly in this forever demanding fast food era we live in drive in operators should take advantage of this for an excellent marketing tool. I would rather sink my fangs into a fresh hot burger than chew on a home made cold pressed chicken sandwich!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 11-16-2007, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Barry Floyd ]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-03-2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me I recall that when the Bengies (D. Edward Vogel?) came up with this, the "permit" was effectively a prepaid coupon redeemable for the equivalent amount in snack bar credit. You had to pay it, but you got food out of it.

Is that how it's being used today? Or do those of you doing this just make people pay it and still charge them over and above for popcorn and what not?

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2007 08:57 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 11-16-2007, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Barry Floyd ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-06-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The opening previews at the Mayfield Road Drive-In on Friday night told the grim tale of drive-ins, and how more than 90 percent of those operating four decades ago now exist only as memories. The short feature implored viewers to patronize the snack bar.
...in a trailer commissioned by Jim Goble and produced by yours truly! [Wink] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: