Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC Has No Nickels? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC Has No Nickels?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a strange one [and I'm not sure I believe it] from Consumerist blog . This guy went to an AMC theatre and was owed $.05, but couldn't seem to get it. No comment on where this happened, but there are some implications on the page that it was in Michigan. Here is the report:

quote:
"The ticket was $9 and I had $8 and some change to get rid of. So I paid with 3 quarters and 3 dimes which would have had me with a nickel change. The ticket seller told me they don't carry nickels and if I want my nickel I have to go to the Guest Services desk. I thought this was a bit odd so I went to Guest Services where I was told again...they don't carry any nickels in the drawers. So I asked to speak to the manager. The manager came over... he told me it's policy that AMC doesn't have any change in any drawers. Now I am not bent out of shape over a nickel, I am just utterly confused that a major movie theater chain would not have any coin change in any cash drawers (except maybe concessions). I asked for the managers name and he got an attitude and asked for mine which I gladly wrote down for him. "
This story has been on the front page of DIGG, and is picking up quite a few comments, very few positive toward AMC.

[ 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Howland
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Christopher Howland   Email Christopher Howland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a Regal, and we also don't carry any change except for quarters. The concessions are rounded to quarters as well to eliminate the need for pennies, nickels, and dimes. Unfortunately, when someone pays with change like that guy did,we would run into the same problem!

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 12:25 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even going back many years at G.C.C., when they made all the pricing round to the quarter the only time we ever had anything but quarters is if somebody paid with them.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 01:05 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We round everything to a quarter, but still keep 25 cents worth of dimes and nickels in each concession/box office drawer just in case.

Why didn't the manager or someone pull a nickle out of their pocket/purse and pay the man?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run into the same situation occasionally, but we usually give the customer the benefit by running the drawer short by the nickel, dime, or penny.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 01:51 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would have the same issue, but somewhere somehow this man would have gotten his nickel - most theatres I've worked at always have odd change lying around in pencil drawers and the like (not a slush fund, just the odd penny/nickel/dime/etc that are found lying around after deposits are done), and any manager with sense would find the nickel somewhere even if it was his/her own pocket.

I should touch base with some of the Loews turned AMC managers I used to work with in the area and see if it was their location that did this . . . .

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-01-2007 02:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about kids and even adults that pay for their concession with bills and pocket change when they go see either a kid show or a family movie? Mgmt team drops that change immediately in the safe for after hours countdown?

..goofy operation, it looks like - Monte

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have given a nickle back out of my pocket when this happens. I have also, when I had no change on me, told the concessionist to give one of the dimes back to the customer and run a nickle short in the regester. We have a small bowl of assorted change to draw from to make it even.
Even if I forget to even up the till, it's still only a nickle, for crying out loud...

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 02:59 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have all the prices round to the nearest quarter, but even then we still carried nickles in the registers and just didn't open the roll until they where needed. I think we might have kept a penny roll in there as well as a precaution.

Now however our prices are not rounded so all the cash drawers need a full assortment of change.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 10:05 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manager, in this case, was dead wrong. If you don't have the appropriate change, you eat the nickel, not the customer. Simply give him back the third dime, and say have a nice day! What company is going to notice a nickel drawer shortage, more importantly, care?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2007 02:31 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much else to say, agreed with Mike.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-02-2007 06:30 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dustin, who agrees with Mike [Smile] Give the guy the five cents and forget about it. (I was about to try and type the "cent" symbol, and realized it's not on the keyboard! I guess that shows how unimportant a few pennies have become.)

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2007 09:23 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5¢ saved is 5¢ earned.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe 5 cents earned, but possibly a $15 (assuming he buys a drink and popcorn) loss. This is assuming the next time the guy goes to a movie he will not return to that theater. I wouldn't.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't use nickles or dimes or pennies either.

I just ran in to this also yesterday, a lady came up to guest servies and wanted a quarter for her three dimes. I just gave her one of the dimes back and "ate" the nickle.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: