Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Harry Pottter and the Disappearing Floor Staff

Author Topic: Harry Pottter and the Disappearing Floor Staff
Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a high number of staff requests and call offs this weekend related to the Harry Potter book. Most of the requests were from those that wanted to spend all night and weekend reading, and some of the call offs were from parents whose 16 year-old stayed up all night reading and were too tired to work.

Did anyone else see anything like this?

|  IP: Logged

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 12:48 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've currently got a bar person, and two ushers reading the book in work. Obviously putting it down when necessary to serve customers. But it does seem to be a bit of a distraction. Luckily, at the rate they're all reading, they should have finished the book tonight. [Smile]

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the Harry Potter Audio Books would be a better idea; allowing staff to listen to the story on headphones while keeping an eye out for customers. I'd have got the audio book (I don't like reading), but apparently it's going to take 3 weeks to be dispatched [Frown]

I wonder if any projectionists are reading the book in the booth between threading films? Perhaps that's why the last movie I went to see was late - the projectionist might have been too engrossed in the book to notice that it was time, and hurriedly threaded the film and pressed Start... about 3 minutes after the advertised start time!

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 03:47 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Shane Cooper
Most of the requests were from those that wanted to spend all night and weekend reading, and some of the call offs were from parents whose 16 year-old stayed up all night reading and were too tired to work.

None here, but if I had I wouldn't have tolerated it, after all, I still have a business to run. As far as floor staff sitting and reading a book on my time, there is always something to clean even when its extremely slow. And the projectionist better be keeping up with daily duties. I have been known to do surprise inspections and/or set off an alarm to make a point about doing periodic checks. [evil]

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 04:09 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
Perhaps the Harry Potter Audio Books would be a better idea
Really?!?! I would think employees wearing headphones would be far worse than simply reading a book. A lot of customers would perceive this as rude as well. [Frown] I really don't have a problem with employees reading during slow periods. But, come on, it's far easier to "tune out" by putting on a pair of headphone rather than reading a book. Even then, the adage goes, "If there's time to lean, there's time to clean."

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 08:27 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen or heard of anyone at my theatre call out, etc. But, while on the clock, bringing personal items, including the Harry Potter book, onto the floor is prohibited. When there is down time, there is always something to do. When I work booth, I make it a point to always stay busy doing maintenance duties and keeping an eye on the projectors when there is nothing to thread up and start. So, reading a book is not optional, at least for me when I work booth or on the floor.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-22-2007 09:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time our employees would have time to read a book is if we left one of them in charge on the last show of the night. The book could come out after they've done all the cleanup, restocking and other stuff. Normally though, when they get that done they are off for the night and yours truly stays to close up.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 10:25 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing new under the sun.

Dickens' novels were all originally published in parts as serials - people assembled on the dock to meet the boat bringing the last of the 88 parts of THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP, shouting to the sailors "is Little Nell dead?"

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-23-2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I requested off to go get the book at midnight on Friday night. I finished reading it last night - which is just about the fastest I have ever read a 750 page book. It was a great book too. [thumbsup]

Monday morning now... back to my life.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who read the book, I hated the fact that Cyprus television news mentioned a very important spoiler to people who haven't read the book and people who are waiting to see it on film. I won't say anymore but people who read the book know for which spoiler I am talking about. I did not read any of the books and I only viewed the movies for I will read the books afterwards.
Demetris

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2007 09:32 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally it's over...
Come on, read some decent fantasy, like the Discworld novells by Terry Pratchett.

Harry Potter doesn't even remotely come close to the wizards that are lectoring at the Unseen University in Ankh Morpork.

He isn't even the eight son of an eight son!

[Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-23-2007 06:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So how many employees who read the book ended up killing themselves?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-23-2007 06:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
As nature intended, natural selection makes sure those that are losers are eliminated from the gene pool...

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 02:19 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately(?), I don't have a "Harry Potter" fan base with my current staff.

Related story: Around the time the previous book was released, I was working at a theatre that neighbored a Barnes and Noble. One night, after closing, I heard a comotion outside and went to investigate. On entering the lobby, I saw a large crowd outside the front doors. Odd enough to see such a crowd outside the theatre around midnight. Even more bizarre when I noticed they were primarily children and a lot of them were dressed in costumes (wizards, mini Potters, etc.). I soon realized it was the midnight release of the latest Potter book, but, for a minute, I was beyond confused; there is something unnerving about seeing a hundred costumed kids pressed up against the lobby glass.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: