Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Beowulf posters...anyoen got em yet?

Author Topic: Beowulf posters...anyoen got em yet?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 02:54 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are apparently supposed to have these posters and display them (according to the company) but we haven't seen one yet. Anyone receive these posters?

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the standee put up this last Thursday.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received the standee as well, but no posters. The footage I saw looked pretty interesting though...

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 04:57 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the standee up in one of our hallways. I also saw the trailer online and I must say it looks good. They people don't look like plastic people like the kids did in Polar Express.

I'm curious if this is going to be Rated R, because comingsoon.net has an R-rated international trailer and shows a little more of Angelina Jolie's character.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-30-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real 3D or faked 3D... anyone know?

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has the Standee's, but, no posters yet.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the standee, too. The women like it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-30-2007 11:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new movie trailer was posted on Apple's Quicktime trailer park site late last week. The official Beowulf website also got updated to actually have some content.

This is an all CGI movie and it will have true 3D content. At first glance, it looks like Robert Zemeckis took the criticism he received from The Polar Express to heart and worked more diligently to make the human CGI characters look more human rather than dead looking or like lifeless mannequins.

Still, I find the first movie trailer to be a bit disturbing. I mean it looks good. But the characters actually look like the people who are voicing them -especially Angelina Jolie. It's a CGI version of her as Grendel's Mother. Ray Winstone is fatter in real life, but as Beowulf, it looks like a younger more muscular version of the guy.

Some people might think this sort of thing is pretty cool. However, I have to ask, "what is the point?" It's kind of an art thing. If you're going to make a painting or drawing look completely photo-realistic, why not just take a photograph with a camera? Artificial, creative types of mediums can add something extra that reality cannot. At any rate, I'm very likely going to watch this movie when it is released in November. God knows, I'd like to see a more visceral, entertaining version of this tale than the boredom I had to endure studying the epic poem of Beowulf in high school. I'm sure Beowulf is worthy of more devoted appreciation. But this, combined with all those damned sonnets from Shakespeare put me in a bad mood when it came to senior English class.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2007 01:58 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's technology-driven,in my opinion. "Look what we can do with this neat software".
I agree it is silly to have animation appear too realistic.

Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2007 03:46 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
I'm curious if this is going to be Rated R, because comingsoon.net has an R-rated international trailer and shows a little more of Angelina Jolie's character.
According to one of the films writers (Neil Gaiman) they are aiming for a PG-13 which he admits will be tuff to achieve but possible, there are plans for an unrated DVD.

Link to San Diego Comi-Con interview, warning link contains spoilers:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/07/26/comic-con-preview-20-minutes-of-beowulf-3d/#more-3799

As far as posters go our theatre hasn't received any but we have had the standee for about a week.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 20,000 large popcorn bags that we're using as a promotional tie-in. The front and back do not have reference to the movie title - and it's only when the bag is opened do you know what movie it is for. The images have been somewhat disturbing to the general populace going to see "Ratatouille" and we've had a number of complaints.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 04:33 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also have the bags, I'll try and grab a picture tomorrow at work.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 02:37 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the bags sanctioned through National CineMedia? All of ours are, but I haven't seen Beowulf bags yet. (doesn't mean they are not on the way...)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: