Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Standees: Now With "Certified Installation" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Standees: Now With "Certified Installation"
Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe someone here has some more info on this. Last week a standee was shipped to my theater (from Deluxe Media). The box had a large orange sticker on it that said "Hold For Certified Installation". Sure enough, someone came in to assemble the standee for us. I wasn't around or I would have asked questions.

Now, the floor staff is quite capable of putting up standees. So I'm wondering: why was this done? My only guesses are:

1) The movie company wanted to ensure it was put on display.

2) It's a new way to nickel-and-dime the theater - we'll get a bill for this 'service'.

. . . or maybe both. Has this happened to anyone else?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2007 05:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet it's #1. Of course they will not know if you tear it down right after it's installed, but at least they know it's been seen by people.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-12-2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some standees are complicated. Remember the one for Hitch?

I've seen a good number of standees over the years that were not assembled correctly. Keep in mind how America on average sucks at things like math and geometry. Also keep in mind how some high school kids earning minimum wage might sluff off on the task as well.

I think that if the standee is complicated and takes a bunch of time to assemble, then by golly, let the studio send someone to assemble it -just so long as they don't bill you for it (or at least not bill you a lot).

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was an assistant manager in Miami, some of the studios were doing that for their standees (at this point I cannot remember which ones). This was around 7 years ago.
One or two people would show up to assemble the standee and go on to the next theater and do the same thing.
I agree with Mike that they are most likely doing it to make sure it is put up correctly (and maybe displayed in a prominent place in the lobby).

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 02:48 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been mentioned, it's just a way for the studio to ensure the standee is assembled properly, put up in a timely fashion, and placed in a prominant area. While it seems like a "no brainer" task, I've seen plenty of standees assembled in a half assed fashion (or simply left in the box and tucked away in storage).

I've also seen these "hold for assembly" standees put up by staff without incident; the studio assembly rep didn't complain and simply took a picture to verify it was up.

Chris Mosel
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 09:08 AM      Profile for Chris Mosel   Email Chris Mosel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had this happen for the first and so far only time for the movie "Pride." That was a simple standee, wish this had been around for the "Toy Story" giant View-Master standee. That one took me 6 hours and was still trashed by kids in a couple of weeks. It was the best standee I've ever built though.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 09:41 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they'll start doing 'certified disassembly' for standees in the near future? I've seen several that do contain complex fittings, and some that have electronic devices as part of the display. One that springs to mind is the standee for 'Vacancy' where it has lightbulbs behind the word VACANCY flashing on and off in a random order (so it looks like it's flickering)

I also remember a standee that actually contained a plasma screen and DVD player, so it would constantly run trailers for the movie. Without 'certified disassembly', who's to say that the staff won't take the plasma screen for use in the staff common room once the standee is dismantled? [Big Grin]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This does not surprise me. Although you wouldn't think so, Standees are very expensive to produce. I don't blame the studios for wanting to make sure they are assembled correctly and displayed.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 10:22 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Little Rock, we have this happen quite frequently. It seems that Paramount/Dreamworks is easily the most common.

Could have used someone from Fox on The Simpsons and Fantastic Four standees.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 11:22 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Southland Display is the company that is contracted with the film companies (not all of them) to install standees. There is no cost to the theatre, the only cost incurred is to the film companies themselves. Southland usually gets contracted to do a certain number of standees on release at the higher grossing theatres, that is why some theatres have to build the standees themselves and some don't. The whole purpose of this process is for the Film companies to insure that they standees they paid for are actually getting built properly and within the right 'time window'.

The people who actually build the standees are contracted by Southland in the various cities around the country, and are usually college students looking for an extreme part-time gig. They get paid per standee built and are given a time period (usually over a weekend) to get the alotted amount of standess done.

There is no 'certification' involved. Unless you sign up for this job - you can then be certified "stupid".

Oh yes:

quote: Christopher Crouch
I've also seen these "hold for assembly" standees put up by staff without incident; the studio assembly rep didn't complain and simply took a picture to verify it was up.
So they could get paid for something they didn't do!!!!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-13-2007 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know about how much the average standee is worth in dollars? I've always been curious about that.

Shipping costs alone for the things must be outrageous. We've gotten quite a few standees on "overnight" service!

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been told by somebody that would know they are between $500 and $1000 each normally.

They cost that much due to engineering and set-up costs not being spread over a very high quantity.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke to a company a few years ago about doing this very thing. I believe they paid around $10-20 for the average standee and up to $45 for the more complicated ones..

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-16-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens to the standees once they are finished with them? Do the theatres just trash them? We second run outfits would love to be able to get our hands on these things, but of course, by the time we play titles, a call to the publicity department and they act like they never heard of the film. While on the phone, I've actually heard the girl yell to someone else in the office -- presumably someone who was more than 20 years old and who had been working there more than a month, "Hey, Harry, is that our title?"

Occassioinally I've actually gotten standees from video stores after THEY are done with them. Of course those standees require us to fine imaginative ways to cover up the "On DVD such and such a date" text.

I have always been fascinated by standees -- the extreme oragmai of the movie industry. How they can get those very complicated 3D things down into flat, mail-able boxes is fascinating. Lots of times it seems like more creativity has to go into producting the standee than has gone into the film they are hawking.

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2007 02:08 PM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always believed the people who design the standees never really build one, they just tell you tab A will fit in slot B [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: