Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Tingler seating equipment

Author Topic: The Tingler seating equipment
Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 08:41 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of you learned gents know how the seats were wired for The Tingler? I've heard everything from a joy buzzer-like device (mechanical noise and vibration) to actual electrical current that zapped a few folks (highly unlikely). I'd love to get a print of this and wire up my seats, just for the fun of it. Maybe, though, a newer and better system of making the vibro-buzz would be helpful. I'm open to suggestions...

Mark

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 12:18 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that is was a vibrating motor of some sort. Film director John Waters, in an interview, mentioned that when Tingler opened in the 50's, he checked under the seats until he found one that was wired and that was where he sat. (Not all the seats were wired for cost considerations.)
One should be able to use more modern equipment for the effect, I would think. I don't think today's seat pans are too thick for this... [Confused]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

do you know that fine book on movie gimmicks, BEYOND BALLYHOO?
It covers most of the William Castle installations.
IIRC, they used electric motors with an excenter weight to vibrate the seats.

Maybe easier to recreate the miracle of EMERGO (flying skeleton on a wire flying from the screen side to the projection room). [Wink]

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Heaven knows, I've been to enough $1 second-run houses where the Smell-O-Vision still works. That must be what's happening there, right?

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 10:25 PM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always go down to your local "Adult Bookstore" and get some "Tingler seating equipment". [Big Grin]

E

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working the booth at the Heights
Theatre in Houston way back in the 50's we
ran The Tingler for a week. The vibrators
were a simple device to rock Hell out the
seat they were attached to. The power supply
in the booth was a 12 volt car battery that
powered the whole array. Cues were provided
by cues on the screen. Simple system, but,
a good drawing card. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-07-2007 04:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you can now buy "Butt-Kickers" to vibrate your seat...rather than hooking them up to a car battery...you can feed them just like a speaker.

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Christian, for the book recommendation. I'm a fan of old movies like this, but that particular book got by me. I'm rectifying it now.

If I come up with an acceptable "Tinger" gimmick, I'll be sure to share it with you folks.

Mark

Michael Wilkinson
The Entertainment King of Colusa and Beyond

- posted 08-20-2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine once took an electric fence charger and somehow connected it to armrests which were wrapped in aluminum foil. Low current of course and only some select seats were wired while the others were dummied. All of the audience had to sign release of liability which they readily did.
Sounds crazy but apparently it went well.

Personally I like the vibrating idea because it is probably a little less risky.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: