Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Pirates 3" Intermission Prints at Odeon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Pirates 3" Intermission Prints at Odeon
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 05:13 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that there are some Intermission Prints of "Pirates3" being played at some Odeon/UCI sites in the UK. [Roll Eyes]

Can anyone give a reason why?
Is it a Sale's thing, certainly not a Technical reason.

|  IP: Logged

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to the Odeon website, go to 'select film' and choose Pirates w/intermission you can see which sites are playing the film in two parts.

quote: Ben Wales
Is it a Sale's thing, certainly not a Technical reason.
Does not having enough prints to satisfy expected demand therefore bicycling some of them come under sales or technical? I'd go for the former.

My initial thought when seeing this was maybe the screens had towers that couldn't take the 3hr+ programme but thats unlikely, right?

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bizarre thing intermissions. We never get asked to do one except for the odd Billowed we show. Have never received a reason as to why 3hr+ Bolly's get an intermission set 3hr+ English language films don't. Anyone out there care to guess?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cultural, have been told most films in India run with intermissions even Hollywood ones. The amount British Asians spend on food at the cinema I'd run an intermission with every Bollywood.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:12 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not in our site, the sneak their own in. Sorri for the Bollywood spelling mistake, used the dreaded spellchecker then it was too late!!!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bollywoods are about the only films people don't sneak food in to at our site. Pret a Manger do better business from our customers than we do for first showings!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 03:41 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Cultural, have been told most films in India run with intermissions even Hollywood ones.
I've also been told that virtually all films run in Iceland have an intermission no matter how long they are.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 04:39 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A film like Pirates 3 can use an intermission because of the runtime. No problem with that. Also concession sales go up.

In The Netherlands intermissions are a common thing. Some cinema groups do not plan intermissions, while others do it all the time.

I like a 10 minute break anyway, no matter what film.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 05:36 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, all sites with multiple prints have intermissions on the 2nd and 3rd print, and selected sites with a single print also have them. It's a 15 minutes interval - firstly it was supposed to be at the end of reel 5, then around 5pm on the opening Friday we get told to re-edit the intermission slightly back from the end of reel 5 to fit in with a scene change.

It's purely a Sales thing, apparently (so were told) it's quite common in Germany for films 2h+ to have intermissions. Our retail sales have benefitted, but I personally don't think it's a good idea.

And it was fully agreed with BVI - they even popped intermission titles in the film cans for us.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Harris
And it was fully agreed with BVI - they even popped intermission titles in the film cans for us.
After what reel was the intermission ?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 12:04 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Says in the above post the intermission is during reel 5.

Was this a ticket sales decision, or kiosk sales, or both?

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2007 04:14 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not only an Odeon thing.

I visited a nearby Vue site recently (to see another film) and they had signs posted up stating that some of their Pirates showings had 15 minute intermissions.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-04-2007 06:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think all movie directors should get a large cup of their beverage of choice and try to sit through their movie without a bathroom break. Then call the editor back in. I'll bet we'd see a flood of 93 minute movies.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Pirates today at a 11:15am show. I choose this time because it did have an intermission. There were 35 people there and I counted as best I could how many came back carrying snacks popcorn or drinks. The count was at least 21 so that was pretty good sales.15 mins is a bit long 10 would easy be long enough.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2007 07:13 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe some sites have difficulties when bicycling the print so 15 minutes gives some leeway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: