Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Underdog: Hit or miss? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Underdog: Hit or miss?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-25-2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this one really took me by surprise.

When I saw the one-sheets for the Underdog movie, I thought....OK, this is totally going to royally suck. I mean, in the old cartoon, Underdog is a dog, yes...but he's really a boy with a dog's head, if you think about it. He doesn't act like a dog; he talks; he walks on his hind legs, etc. So when I saw they were using a REAL dog for this movie, I thought...well, this is going to royally suck.

Then last night I saw the trailer with Pirates. The trailer is frickin' hilarious! The audience was laughing like crazy and now I've totally changed my mind on the movie. I don't think it's going to be anything stupendous, but it will at least be original and a good kid-pic for August. I actually think it might do pretty good business.

If you don't have a trailer for this movie but expect to play it, I would suggest you should follow any means necessary to get the trailer and program it aggressively. The one sheet will NOT sell this movie, but the trailer will.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 11:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike, I sure agree with you. At first I thought this movie looks lame. Then I saw the trailer and it changed my mind. I must say it looks like a hit.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 11:59 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's PG-13, who do they think their audience is?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-30-2007 01:49 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likely the people, like me, who were old enough to actually remember the show?

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2007 02:36 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's rated PG, not PG-13.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PG or PG-13, it looks stupid as hell.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a movie for kids about a dog superhero. How exactly would you propose to make it look NOT stupid as hell?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It's a movie for kids about a dog superhero. How exactly would you propose to make it look NOT stupid as hell?
Since the very idea sounds stupid as hell, I wouldn't have even let it been made. Since I can't make that call, I simply express my opinion of the movie (that I haven't seen, but still judge anyway based soley on the trailer).

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 06:31 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Stupid" like George of The Jungle?
"Stupid" like Dudley DoRight?
I liked the former.
Dudley not so much.
I'll give Underdog a shot.
(But NOT Nancy Drew. Nancy Drew looks unwatchable to me, like that Hilary Duff movie...what was it called? oh...The Lizzie Borden Movie.)

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 09:47 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I don't want to see it, Nancy Drew looks BETTER than Underdog.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 12:04 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to dress up my beagle opening weekend.

Kara Tillotson
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the preview looks hilarious.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-10-2007 02:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
(But NOT Nancy Drew. Nancy Drew looks unwatchable to me, like that Hilary Duff movie...what was it called? oh...The Lizzie Borden Movie.)
Sadly, we're getting that movie. Nearly every time there's a kid movie, we get it.

And we had that movie, it's Lizzie Mcquire. Glad I never saw that one. On a related note: it's weird seeing her now, you know, actually looking like an adult.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered if anyone was going to catch the Lizzie Borden reference. [Smile]
There is nothing wrong with these type of movies. We are just the wrong demographics.
In the mid-90's, my boss decided that every movie needed to be screened and if one needed to be screened on a Thursday night, one would get assigned to that movie.
I got assigned The Babysitters Club. [Frown]
I stayed in the auditorium long enough to determine that the film was in frame, the sound had no defects, there were no printing errors and the cues were on correctly. The rest of the time, I conversed with the cleaning staff.
The only pieces of the plot I remember was one guy exclaiming "You're THIRTEEN?!!" and somebody's Ice Cream Cake melting.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2007 07:57 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Played the Underdog preview in front of Surf's Up this weekend...got some laughs but nothing special.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: