Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pirates 3 is 168 minutes??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pirates 3 is 168 minutes???
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 02:14 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief.

Whatever happened to a decent pair of scissors when it comes to movie lengths? How on earth can a film like this not get its (already) way overlong story told within 2 hours?

Common sense over director's egos every time.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 03:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This third installment might have so much action that the 168m might just disappear without even realizing it.

(after seeing the clips from the presentations at Showest, I think that the running time will not be that all noticable..)

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The running time will quickly become very noticeable as soon as it's run on an old changeover booth...like mine...

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-16-2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or a drive-in that can't start films until 8:30 or 9pm and promises double features every night.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
Why would the picture seem longer run with two projectors than one with a platter?
More activity for the projectionist, sure, but the audience wouldn't know the difference.

DM

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run a drive-in. Double features are a fact of life. I don't care about the film length. If the customers want to see it and patronize the place, I'm open and ready to go. I'll sleep in Tomorrow! [Smile]

We went to the screening yesterday. Pirates ran 2 hours and 40 minutes to the start of the end credits. Add around another 6-ish for the credits and the end bit that's been on all the Pirates shows.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-16-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not worried about having to stay late (I'm the auditor) - I'm more worried about customers not wanting to come see the 9 o'clock show because they know it'll be out late and by the time the second feature starts it'll be near 11:30.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we still talking about drive-ins? If we are, I'd note that our busiest months are July and August, when the shows don't even start until around 10pm.

It seems that owners worry about this far more than the patrons do.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2007 05:18 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it is coming with an intermission to some cinemas in the UK! Guess they've got the projectionists bicyclying a print.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen the schedule at my UK multiplex.

We are running prints both with and without intermision.
We have 12 showings a day, 6 with intermissions and 6 without.
Showing in 5 auditoriums (2 are an inter-lock).

We were advertise the timings to the public so they can choose If they want a showtime with an intermission or one without.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2007 06:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first one was ok, the second one sucked, the third one won't get my attention except for the interlock systems I'm in the middle of installing for it. Print quantities are supposedly more limited than usual. After I'm done with these installs... I'll forget about it completely in about an hour.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-16-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Jack, I find most of the patrons don't care too much about the second show not ending until around 3:30am. You won't see as many of the locals sticking around for the second feature but they'll be lots of cottagers and tourists around.

My only concern is with triple and quad features allowing me enough time to get a bite to eat before heading to work for 8am.

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2007 10:31 PM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard P. May
Ian,
Why would the picture seem longer run with two projectors than one with a platter?
More activity for the projectionist, sure, but the audience wouldn't know the difference.

DM

That's exactly what I meant [Wink] . We do two showings a week, back to back on Sunday nights. Last year they booked Pirates 2 for Parents Weekend, which meant we did an additional two showings (one Friday, one Saturday). Needless to say, late Sunday evening...I mean early Monday morning...we were very happy to pack up the print and ship it far away.

I really like having a changeover booth, it's more interesting than platters...until you get a movie like that. Then I wish I had a platter so I could start it up and take a nap!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-17-2007 02:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not talking about running it and being late out...it's simply from a film-making / script writing point of view.

It's a movie about a pirate for goodness sake...how long do you need to tell the story?

It's the multi-print thing. They don't seem to care how long things run anymore because they can just start another print in an hour and another an hour after that. No problem. If prints were scarce like they used to be and each cinema only got one print running 3 or maybe 4 times a day...do you think Disney'd still be happy with the running time? I doubt it.

The multi print is a two edged sword...yes, you can get many more sessions in from a long film, but the patron has to sit through about an hour's more film than is necessary to tell the story.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-17-2007 02:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Brown
We were advertise the timings to the public so they can choose If they want a showtime with an intermission or one without.
That's very interesting. Ideally I would like to do that somewhere as a test, but with identical start times. That way when they buy their ticket for the 7:00 show, there would be 2 auditoriums starting at 7:00, one with and one without an intermission. I do wonder which one would sell more tickets.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: