Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Restroom Prank (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Restroom Prank
Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-12-2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this afternoon I walked into my theatre's men's room and noticed a slightly vinegary smell. Definitely not urine, but something else. Some obnoxious little s**t had put two ketchup packets under one of the toilet seats. There was ketchup splattered everywhere. On the floor, on the walls of the stall, on the door of the stall, and most likely on some yet to be identified customers pants. Maybe this one has been around for a while, but I'd never seen it before. Fortunately, it wasn't that hard to clean up. Just some Windex and a few paper towels, but I gloved up anyway. On the one hand, at least it wasn't graffiti or physical damage to the restroom. But it was still obnoxious.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had someone urinate on the ceiling once. Yes, the ceiling. I'm not quite sure how they pulled that off.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-12-2007 10:46 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ky "Cleanup in Stall 5" Boyd
Some obnoxious little s**t had put two ketchup packets under one of the toilet seats. There was ketchup splattered everywhere.
Oh man, that's brilliant. I wish I'd thought of that in school.

I remember a kid in my elementary school collecting a bunch of ketchup packets, stacking them carefully, waiting for a victim, then slamming his foot down as his victim passed, sending a huge mess of ketchup at their leg. Trouble was the packets...all of them...burst open in the opposite direction, covering HIS other leg in ketchup.

Everybody laughed at him AND he got detention.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-12-2007 10:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People at my old theater used to unscrew the coupling at the bottom of the flush valves on the urinals. When some unsuspecting guy came in to take a leak and flushed, he'd get all wet!

We finally put LocTite or something on the threads so they couldn't be unscrewed without tools.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 04:13 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing.

I've had to glove up due to someone taking a dump in the urinal.

Once, one of the other supervisors cleaned up where someone (or possibly a dog, though I doubt it) did the same... this time in the carpet of our video game room.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I can beat that!

Have you ever seen a cloth roll towel cabinet?

-

Instead of paper towels, it uses a long roll of cloth towels that rolls up again when you pull down for the next section.

Years ago, we had one of these in the men's room of my parent's bar. It was my job to change the roll when it was used up.

So, one day, I go into the men's room to check the towel dispenser and I find that the toilet paper had run out so some idiot decided to get up and wipe his ass on the roll towel!

Let's put the hygene issue aside for a minute. HOW did some guy get his ass up THAT HIGH to wipe shit all over the towel?! [Eek!]

It's a mystery that remains unsolved to this day! [Confused]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're not as common as they used to be, but we still have those towel cabinets over here.

There seems to be something hanging down behind the one in your photo through which the used towel passes on its way back into the cabinet; could that be to somehow prevent something that happened here many years ago? I was still at school at the time, and all of the cabinets at my school, and I think at all the schools in London were moved to a lower position on the wall. The reason for this was that a child at a primary school elsewhere in the Country had stood on something, put his head through the loop of towel, jumped off and spun around, with fatal results.

There are other problems with these things; the towel runs out, leaving the tail end of it to get used repeatedly, and it thus gets soaking wet. the towel never seems to take up at the same rate as it feeds out, so the loop either gets too short to use, or so long that it falls on the floor. The supply of clean towels sometimes runs out, so that the old one has to be turned round and used again. Then, of course, there are the rental and laundry costs; you can't exactly wash these things yourself in the sink!

Compare this with paper towels which generate lots of waste and mess, and also run out, and hot air dryers which draw a lot of power, and never seem to be very reliable.

Any inventors here who can come up with a better hand drying system? It's something that's certainly needed.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Properly maintained, they are better than paper. No cleanup. No trash cans and they get your hands drier than paper.

The loop will stay the same size if you thread them right. We ALL know how to thread things correctly... RIGHT?

If the loop is maintained at the correct length, there will be no danger of strangling. And, if you check your restrooms for cleanliness often, there's no problem with them running out and getting all messy.

Heck! If my Dad could teach a ten year old kid to take care of a restroom, I don't think it would be too hard for any other employee!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Properly maintained, they are better than paper. No cleanup. No trash cans and they get your hands drier than paper.

I think I agree; towel to take off most of the water and a hand dryer to finish off works quite well.

quote: Randy Stankey
The loop will stay the same size if you thread them right. We ALL know how to thread things correctly... RIGHT?
I would say that the vast majority do not keep a constant loop size; whether this is due to poor design, poor maintenance abuse by users or something else, I cannot say; I'm not an expert on them.

quote:
If the loop is maintained at the correct length, there will be no danger of strangling. And, if you check your restrooms for cleanliness often, there's no problem with them running out and getting all messy.

Heck! If my Dad could teach a ten year old kid to take care of a restroom, I don't think it would be too hard for any other employee!

How things should be, and how they are, are often two very different things. The ones that were in my school were pretty old, probably early '50s.

As far as I know the fatal accident only ever happened once, but that was enough for the education authority at the time, the ILEA, to mount all towel cabintes so low that most users had to bend down to use them.

In the real world, I still see significant problems with all hand-drying methods.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Any inventors here who can come up with a better hand drying system? It's something that's certainly needed.
First, put the projectors in the restrooms. Next, cut holes in the lamp house. Now you've got a dual-purpose projector/hand dryer. [Big Grin]
Plus, you get an added antimicrobial effect if you don't use OFR bulbs.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 01:01 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all of the cabinets at my school, and I think at all the schools in London were moved to a lower position on the wall. The reason for this was that a child at a primary school elsewhere in the Country had stood on something, put his head through the loop of towel, jumped off and spun around, with fatal results.

Wow....I don't want to sound insensitive, but what did this kid have, some kind of suicide wish? Or perhaps this was just natural selection weeding out really stupid genes. So the next thing the authorities do is scramble to lower ALL the hand towel dispensers down near the floor all over the country so that everyone has to bend down to dry their hands? Seems like that natural selection thing wasn't able to weed out enough of the stupid genes that had evidently worked their way into the staff at the regulatory department.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 03:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the vast majority do not keep a constant loop size; whether this is due to poor design, poor maintenance abuse by users or something else, I cannot say; I'm not an expert on them.
There's a rubber pinch roller that the fresh towel goes through as the user pulls the cloth. Those rollers drive the takeup roller that winds up the used cloth. If you don't thread the takeup correctly, it won't wind up the right amount. At first, it won't wind up enough then, as the roll of soiled cloth gets bigger than the supply roll, it will start pulling in too much.

My Dad taught me how to thread the machine ONCE. From then on, I had to do it myself. If I did it wrong, I got my ass beat... LITERALLY!

I don't think that kids should get their asses beat for making minor mistakes but I do think that too few kids are being held accountable for things they do wrong. [Frown]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 06:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Wow....I don't want to sound insensitive, but what did this kid have, some kind of suicide wish? Or perhaps this was just natural selection weeding out really stupid genes. So the next thing the authorities do is scramble to lower ALL the hand towel dispensers down near the floor all over the country so that everyone has to bend down to dry their hands? Seems like that natural selection thing wasn't able to weed out enough of the stupid genes that had evidently worked their way into the staff at the regulatory department.
It's a long time ago now, probably around 1971-2, but the fatal accident was real, I remember reading about it in the news, so it must have made the national press as it didn't happen locally. As far as I can remember, very soon after it happened the ILEA (Inner London Education Authority), which no longer exists, issued instructions to their schoolkeepers and cleaners that the loop of towel had to be under a certain maximum length, i.e. too short to get a head through, and very difficult to dry hands on as it was almost touching the bottom of the cabinet, and that any cabinet which failed to keep this length was to be taken out of use. This was a temporary measure until the cabinets could be lowered to such a height that the feet of a school-age child would be on the floor if they did manage to put their head through the loop. Some school buildings changed in use over the years, e.g. from a secondary school to an infants one, and nobody tended to bother about mounting the things a a suitable height for the users; people tended not to consider the needs of children when these things were installed, in much the same way that few people considered the needs of wheelchair users until quite recent times. They tended to be mounted at typical adult height, and it was quite common for younger children to have to stand on something to reach the towel. It certainly happened in my school, which was unusual in being all-age from 6-18. This may be how the accident happened; I don't know.

I've never heard of any similar accident, and the chances of it happening again are probably very small indeed, but it was proven to be possible, and with such serious consequences I doubt that the Authority really had any option but to do something about it. Looking at it from the point of view of the parents of the unfortunate child it is understandable. Putting a loop of towel around your neck while standing on something like a chair may not be very sensible, but five and six year olds sometimes do things that aren't very sensible. So do much older people.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer one of the stalls in our downstairs ladies room was discovered with excrement splattering the walls, floor, door, even the sides of the toilet, only the ceiling was spared. Looked like somebody detonated a shit grenade.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2007 12:30 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Taiwan it looks like they solved the issue of drying your hands. Every bathroom I have been in has no paper towels or dryer of any kind sometimes you will see a dishrag hanging there but that is all i have seen. Also the chinese style toilet is quite different I would describe it as a urinal laying in the ground that you squat over. Also you go in one bathroom in some places and there is a separate room in the bathroom for the ladies and sometimes there is not. I noticed also the cleaning ladies come in and clean around you no matter what you are doing at the moment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: