Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » An unprofessional job offer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: An unprofessional job offer
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-12-2007 03:42 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the mall my theater is at there's another theater as well. It's essentially a really fancy bar/meeting facility that's got an auditorium attached to it. Depending on how many groups rent the place out for stuff, they'll play anywhere from zero to 2 movies a day. And since it's mainly a bar it's a 21+ facility.

So we accidentally got a poster for Pan's Labyrinth and it was their's. One of the mgrs asked me to walk it over there and drop off a piece of mail for them. When I got there their manager asked me if I liked projection and when I said yes he told me that if I ever got bored at my present theater that they're always looking for projectionists.

Talk about unprofessional: asking a guy to more or less quit his current job (while actually on duty) to come there. Funnily enough, this isn't the first time these guys did this. Apparently the guy in charge of the place once showed up at our theater during business hours and asked the manager on duty to come work for them.

Plus, I can't possibly see myself purposely quitting my theater to go work for a place that, by default, would have to give me less hours.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-12-2007 04:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(whoops, [Eek!] a "teaser" title...better change it to be more descriptive of what the msg you're trying to get across...like change it to "A unprofessional job offer" or something on that line...)

Maybe, he sees something in what you've got that just might benefit that other operation than what you're doing now - why is he showing some interest in you in the first place? Must be something there...

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2007 05:52 AM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ya just hate it when people offer you jobs?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2007 08:53 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least you know you do your job well enough for it to be noticed by others.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-12-2007 11:43 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have a term for that. It is called Head Hunting. Not something I condone.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-12-2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
At least you know you do your job well enough for it to be noticed by others.
The only reason he noticed was that I was in his place of business.

And he was clearly head hunting. When I walked in he asked me if I was a manager then went to the projectionist question.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why you consider this to be unprofessional. There's nothing unprofessional about offering someone a job. And there's nothing unprofessional about accepting a job.

What would be unprofessional is if you went for a job interview while on your current employer's clock.

And it's unprofessional for clients of companies to "steal" their vendor's employees (and vice-versa), but those limitations are usually spelled out in consulting contracts.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-12-2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Offering a person a job isn't unprofessional.

But the guy has a history of trying to get his competitor's employees while they're working. Like I said, he even came in to our business just to ask the manager on duty to work for him.

David Graves
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 01:54 AM      Profile for David Graves   Email David Graves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's unprofessional at all- you walked into someone else's theater, they need staff, and you are obviously not a moron. A lot of times, particularly when you're just starting out, this is the best way to get a non-entry level new job.

I'd say entertain the idea if you're curious- there's nothing illegal about checking out a new job (but definitely do it on your day off). See what he's about, and if he makes an offer, tell your manager and see what he can do for you. If you're worth it to him, he'll match or raise.

Play the game! Get paid! Unless your father is the manager and it's a family joint, why not?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once hired by a company to open a new location as the GM. During the course of that, I was told by one of the owners to drive over to the competitors theater, go into their lobby and try to recruit their employees by offering them more money. I more or less refused because I consider taking an action like that to be very unethical. Granted the owner was pissed that I didn't do it and it turned out to be the the least worry some considering some of the things I was told to do later on during the course of my employment with that company. Safe to say that I could get away from that place fast enough. [bs]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 08:51 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Head hunting goes on all the time. In the telecom industry it was not uncommon the get many job offers. What one had to realize though, is that company loyalty works both ways. Both the employer and the employee have an agreement (written or not) to exchange wages and benefits for labor and skill. What I read about most often on these forums is how companies are taking advantage of their employees and making the workplace something other than desirable. So where does loyalty end? That's up to the individual. When a job offer comes in one must weigh the benefits of moving versus staying. In either case, I don't see head hunting as unprofessional at all.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-13-2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if this place doesn't play movies every day on a regular schedule, I don't see how it can be a full-time job. Thus, I don't know how they could advertise for a regular employee. It's hard to find projection operators who are looking for part time work.

So, the guy puts out feelers to see if there are people available.

He must think you've got the "stuff" if he just offers you work on the spot like that.

I don't see this as unprofessional.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't actually applied for a job in quite some time. Where I currently work I was called and offered an opportunity and they same thing occurred when I was offered a theatre management position several years ago. I found it flattering, not unethical. They must have respect for my abilities. I currently work part time at an IMAX doing projection as a second job. I was offered this by a board member of the Science Station who is client at my full time job. I simply filled a need and earn extra money.

David Graves
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for David Graves   Email David Graves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Events can require projectionist personnel too- someone needs to set the lights, or run a clip or a slide show, or perhaps just make sure the music and everything is on. This can be pretty lucrative- if you've got a 300 seat theater, and you rent it out for $1,500 for a night, that's more than you'd ever make on a normal weeknight.

Don't knock it until you find the facts. Since you don't NEED a job, you're in an even better position to ask the tough questions- "what kind of hours will I REALLY get", "how can I make enough money- can you give me a minimum salary each week?", that kind of thing.

I'm telling you- play the game.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
When I got there their manager asked me if I liked projection and when I said yes he told me that if I ever got bored at my present theater that they're always looking for projectionists.

Head Huntiong is quite normal and can be lucrative for all involved except the person's past employer who looses out.

The thing that got my attention was the line above from your first post.... "They are ALWAYS looking for projectionists" tells me that they may NOT be a good employer to work for. If they were good then they probably would have several long time employees there locking up the positions.

BEWARE! BE CAREFUL! Especially if you are happy where you are...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: