Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Naked Woman Shocks 'Last Mimzy' Family Audience (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Naked Woman Shocks 'Last Mimzy' Family Audience
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBS/AP News Story

quote:

Graphic Images Of Dead Baby Birth Shown To Parents, Kids---'The Hills Have Eyes 2' Played In Wrong Theatre

(CBS/AP) HOLTSVILLE, N.Y. Moviegoers expecting to see the PG rated "Last Mimzy" instead watched in shock as a chained naked woman gave birth to a dead baby on screen.

It seems the folks at the Island 16 Multiplex in Holtsville mixed up the films last evening, and the R-Rated "The Hills Have Eyes 2" was played in the wrong theater.

Some 50 people -- including parents with young children -- began screaming and ran out. The manager at the theater got an earful from angry parents.

The staff stopped the movie, gave free ticket vouchers to upset patrons and started the "Last Mimzy" about a half-hour late.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-06-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Who was the projectionist? Tyler Durden?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 02:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does "The Hills Have Eyes 2" have a chained naked woman giving birth in the first 30 seconds of the movie? Because if not, I can't imagine normal people not realizing there was a mistake before anything too graphic occurred. Maybe when the title "THE HILLS HAVE EYES 2" appeared onscreen, it would have been a clue.

Of course these ARE modern parents we're talking about, so I guess anything's possible. I'm sure there will by lawsuits a-flying before the weekend's out.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't this happen in 2005 with Chicken Little? Those crazy New York theaters!

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the curse of programming the big house with the kids' show by day and the adults' show by night....

The content of the trailers probably should have been the first clue to the audience that something was amiss. Or not.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stop making excuses. This should not happen regardless. What happened to showmanship these days? Again, no wonder I don't go to the movie anymore...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 04:12 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nearly did this the other way round with 'Ant Bully' and 'Miami Vice'. Luckily I got to the screen to check before the feature started. Stopped the show between the ad and the ratings card, and put Miami Vice on. I know I screwed up but we did try to sort out the error with no obvious disturbance to the audience. Always put the platter covers on the film not playing after that. What pissed me off at the time was that floor staff hadn't gone in to check things and realised the kids ad reel was playing, no idea about working as a team.

We had someone who was kinda like the hare to my tortoise, he put the wrong film on about twice a month I reckon. It was similar stuff to the news report,'15' rated films going on instead of a kids film. He quit eventually.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
Stop making excuses. This should not happen regardless.
While I agree the projectionist was wrong not to double-check, I am sure you have made a mistake at least ONCE in your life.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that I always do when two movies are in one auditorium is that I always double check the projectionist schedule and double check which print that I am about to thread up that way I won't screw up. Plus, I always leave a print cover on the print that won't be used until a particular show time comes up for that movie.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 07:33 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Seo
Ah, the curse of programming the big house with the kids' show by day and the adults' show by night....
Even worse...they were staggered.

Island 16: Cinema de Lux

quote:
The Last Mimzy
12:30 3:00 7:50

The Hills Have Eyes 2
5:30 10:20 12:30

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2007 12:59 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...that place is right by my house...

If it's the theater I'm thinking of, I've never seen or heard of a mistake like that before.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2007 01:04 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've never heard of or seen such a mistake, then you've either been really lucky or haven't worked in the industry for very long.

You also seem to be a bit geography-challenged as Holtsville, NEW YORK is nowhere near Worcester, MASSACHUSETTS! (Perhaps you are thinking of this theatre?)

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2007 01:47 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
While I agree the projectionist was wrong not to double-check, I am sure you have made a mistake at least ONCE in your life.
I threaded Charlotte's Web when it was supposed to be Rocky Balboa.

I also didn't catch a last minute swap and ended up running (I forget the two movies, but one was X-Men 3 and they were both similar) the wrong movies in the wrong theatre...

Mistakes like that suck, but I'm too over cautious now.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2007 02:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The best trick I've ever found to prevent this is to leave 2 brains in every platter NOT running a double-up. Any auditorium that is sharing two prints a day only gets one brain. That way when the projectionist has to move the brain to thread the next show..."HEY BUDDY, SOMETHING IS WRONG...CHECK THE SCHEDULE" comes into their minds.

Seriously, it works. (Well ok, it doesn't work on Kinoton platters or platters with stationary brains, but still you get the idea.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-07-2007 06:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Any auditorium that is sharing two prints a day only gets one brain.
Agree with this one, since I've done it as well, but went farther .. One brain all the time since we rotated decks for each movie set.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: