Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » GRINDHOUSE and Your Theatre Operation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: GRINDHOUSE and Your Theatre Operation
Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's everyone's plan as far as showing Grindhouse warning guests about how it's "supposed to look and sound." Additionally, is anyone going to have thir own intermission? I mean 3 and a half hours without going pee is gonna be tricky. What's everyone's plan?

|  IP: Logged

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have researched, there will be fake trailers between the two movies. This will serve as an intermission.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 11:28 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recieved an informational fax from Weinstein today that, among other things, specifically stated that theatres were NOT to make their own intermissions.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-05-2007 07:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The fake trailers/intermission running time is 7 minutes.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 04:38 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough time to sell more popcorn...

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 01:51 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
send in retro tray sellers during the trailers, then you would sell some popcorn

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 02:20 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not allowing you to stop between movies is just dumb.

7 minutes is not enough time to go pee, buy popcorn and whatever...the second feature's start is going to be missed by a lot of patrons and they won't be happy.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 07:01 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will add an intermission after the first film ...i'm sure. Everynight is a double bill for us...so this might be a triple.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
7 minutes is not enough time to go pee, buy popcorn and whatever...the second feature's start is going to be missed by a lot of patrons and they won't be happy.

Although in the era of double features 5 minute intermissions seemed to be the norm, and sometimes even that was eliminated during non-peak periods. Even top single attraction first runs in big cities would run on the 5-minute break between showings. And this was in the days of few end credits, which could add a bit of extra time for people to leave, etc.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 10:01 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
As Paul just posted. The way the film makers have made this film look and feel is the way Grindhouse theatres operated in the downtown areas of the major cities in the US. Most Grindhouses ran from 9am till 5am the next day and ran 4 different features and then repeated them. And most changed features twice a week. So on those lucky days you would finish the first round of four features and then start the next weeks four features , so the patrons got 8 features for their $1.50 ticket and a cheap motel in it's day. Intermissions were around 5 minutes in those houses.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 01:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they figure if you stop the film and bring up the lights, it would destroy the fantasy world of the movie?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
send in retro tray sellers during the trailers, then you would sell some popcorn

And sell cigarettes too. Just like the old days! [thumbsup]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the tray idea. I would put a note on the door of the screen about the presentation. If there was actually something wrong with the print or the auditorium we'd have a sign at box office and/or tell people when they bought the tickets.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Cinemark the ring leaders wanted the house lights to come up, and then go back down at the 2nd "feature presentation" snipe. Honestly I'm supprised our automation could handle it... [Roll Eyes]

VVV
Yeah we got the Holloween Trailer. I also bumped up the "following are prevues" snipe to the front so it opens the show out of the pre-show with some of the dirtiest leader I could find in our booth. Some of the other operators flipped because I put the start cue during the leader.. ITS OK!
VVV

[ 04-11-2007, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone get the promised HALLOWEEN trailer? I so badly wanted to put trailers for HALLOWEEN, HOT FUZZ, and HOSTEL: PART II on front of this movie so that people would get to see real trailers for movies by all the guys who did the fake trailers. That would have been awesome.

Also, is it true that Canadian theaters got trailers for the trailer contest winner, HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN, to put on the front of their prints?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: