Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Money Counting Machines

Author Topic: Money Counting Machines
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 04-04-2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody else share their experience with advanced money and coin counting machines? I've heard of some pretty involved machines that some chains use to help process money.

When I was with Century we used Cummins money counters which were pricy and tempermental. One of the Public Markets I work for now has gigantic coin sorter/counter, but they're the only ones who have that.

Do many of you use bill and coin counters? If so, any tips on which have worked better for you?

|  IP: Logged

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a machine from the GLORY company. It's GREAT. You don't have to seperate bills out. It gives you the total of whatever you put in. It's always accurate and very fast. It's only a little tempermental. They have good customer support, we had a belt go bad in it and they came out and fixed it. I hear the machine is uber expensive. But if you handle a lot of cash, it's a must!

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 11:36 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked in a googaplex in a mega market, but I've had some busy days. About 7 years ago we pulled out a 40,000 Saturday, all cash. No coin counters, no bill counters.

Personally I've found the cheap coin counters to be worthless. Unless its 100% reliable what's the point? The really reliable machines are the very pricey ones; I'm not sure the expense is really justified unless you are a super busy location.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 11:42 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cautionary note: the last bill counter I saw had been worn out by being used to count comment cards in a theatre that had a lot of screenings.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely use a counter. Ours is old, almost 8 years of operation, tempermental with new reserve notes that haven't been used yet. Mostly $1 bills. A quick look for money counters yielded ones that have some counterfeit detection and weren't too expensive.

Don't know how well they would work on the lastest scam?
Should work ok as the counterfeits don't have magnetic ink.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
In my megaplex days, one large chain I worked for used three currency machines, one Glory discriminator and two Glory counters. The discriminator identified individual bills, producing a total and breakdown report of denominations (this machine also had a counterfit detector and ability to face bills via two trays). The counter machines just logged total number of items (cash, coupons, passes) passed through, with the ability to conduct bundle counts (i.e. it would stop when a preset bundle count was reached). I found the counter machines to be relatively simple and easy to maintain. The discriminator required more maintainance and frequent cleanings to function properly(we usually found the need to clean out the sensor area after every drop). Both types of machines were used, in tandem, due to this particular company's cashroom proceedures.

Another chain I worked for used a Cummins discriminator and this machine was a nightmare. It seemed as if the slightest irregularity (fold, rip, etc.) resulted in a jam or bills shooting out of the tray. Additionally, there were frequent issues with accuracy.

For coins, we had a bulk hopper (I don't recall the make) that could seperate/count in to bags or load in to "shotgun shell" style rolls (this was in the days before rounded off pricing, so we had a lot of misc. coin). Prior to this machine, which required practically no special care, we had a high end Glory coin sorter that constantly broke down and jammed.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worked in a site that had the coin/note counting scales which seemed to be fairly accurate (I don't know which manufacturer).

It was necessary to group the coins and notes (copper, 5/10p, 20p 50p £1/2, £1 notes, £5 notes ...) but the machine kept track of the total.

The site did have a coin sorting machine, but it was seemingly slower than hand sorting.

--

Note recognition seems to have improved a lot recently (even living in a country where private firms issue banknotes) and are now found in more banks and supermarkets.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: