Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DreamWorks To Go 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DreamWorks To Go 3-D
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DreamWorks going 3-D in 2009

Article

quote:

DreamWorks going 3-D in 2009
Studio to produce two versions of 'Aliens'

By BEN FRITZ

DreamWorks Animation is joining the digital 3-D wave.
Studio plans to release all its pics in 3-D starting in 2009. That should give a major boost to the fledgling technology now available on just a few hundred digital cinema screens.

New digital 3-D exhibition process, enabled largely by technology company Real D, has been gaining significant interest in Hollywood recently. Fox will release the James Cameron-helmed "Avatar" in 3-D in 2009, and Disney will put "Meet the Robinsons" on about 600 digital 3-D screens this month.

DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg said the studio considered adding 3-D effects to some of its 2007 and 2008 releases but wanted to produce pics with the new exhib process in mind from the outset.

"We have not really been enthusiastic about turning 2-D into 3-D in post-production," Katzenberg said, referring to the way 3-D effects have been added to pics thus far. "It doesn't begin to touch the quality of product that is originated in 3-D."

DWA summer 2009 release "Monsters vs. Aliens" starts production this spring and will be made with 3-D in mind from the outset. Studio will produce two versions, with a standard version for nondigital screens, DVD and TV.

By waiting until 2009, studio will also benefit from a significantly higher availability of 3-D enabled digital screens.

"By that time, I think that in domestic markets we will be able to release a film entirely in 3-D," said Jim Tharp, prexy of domestic distribution for Paramount, which releases DreamWorks Animation pics.

There are just over 500 digital 3-D screens in the U.S., but that's expected to expand to several thousand by 2009.

While the studio is counting on its movies to be available exclusively in 3-D in the U.S., foreign markets will likely still be installing digital cinema systems, which are required for the new 3-D process.

Katzenberg will be discussing the studio's 3-D plans with exhibitors this week at ShoWest. Many in the exhibition industry have been getting excited about digital 3-D as a way to differentiate cinemas from home theater systems. In addition, many exhibs have been charging $1 or $2 more for 3-D films.

"This is the first thing I've ever seen that is an actual opportunity for the movie business to become something completely new and unreplicatable at home," observed Katzenberg.

He said production costs on DreamWorks toons will go up, but he's confident his studio will make up for it with added revenue.

After "Robinsons," next pic released on some 3-D screens will be Par's "Beowulf" this fall.

In 2008, New Line will release "Journey 3-D," the first live-action pic produced exclusively for the new technology.

Disney is also expected to release most of its future toons in digital 3-D, though the studio hasn't announced any definite plans beyond "Robinsons."

DreamWorks has hired Jason Clark, an exec producer on Sony's 3-D toon "Monster House," to head up its 3-D efforts along with Jim Mainard, the studio's head of research and development.

It has also tapped Phil McNally, who did 3-D work on Disney's "Chicken Little" and "Meet the Robinsons," to oversee 3-D for "Monsters vs. Aliens."

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've always said that digital 3-D is "non-replicatable" at home. Why is that? Is it something to do with the projected image vs the plasma image or along those lines?

And even if that's the case, what's to stop a home "projection" system from doing a 3-D process at home?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-13-2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there no proof readers at Variety.com? Oh, well.

quote:
Studio will produce two versions, with a standard version for nondigital screens, DVD and TV.
Two versions? Why not produce both eyes (instead of faking one of them) and just show one eye in the 2D venues? Maybe that's what the author meant. I'm not sure.

quote:
"This is the first thing I've ever seen that is an actual opportunity for the movie business to become something completely new and unreplicatable at home," observed Katzenberg.
I don't know. I can envision a digital projector with a circular polarizer designed for the home. It probably wouldn't take all that much development work to modify one of the new blue laser formats to reproduce that type of 3D in the home.

Chris Parry
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Chris Parry   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Parry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
They've always said that digital 3-D is "non-replicatable" at home. Why is that? Is it something to do with the projected image vs the plasma image or along those lines?
Sports Illustrated had no trouble adding 3-D to their recent Swimsuit Issue. And I seem to recall a Three Stooges film being shown on TV as 3D about twenty years ago - there were free glasses in our daily newspaper and it (mostly) worked like film.

This might be more a case of them not wanting to release 3D to TV to keep the theater as an 'event' venue. At least until some marketing rube figures out it would make money as a 'special edition' DVD.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-13-2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ben Fritz' article
He said production costs on DreamWorks toons will go up, but he's confident his studio will make up for it with added revenue.
I'm surprised the costs for creating 3D animated movies aren't actually declining at least a little. Computer rendering horsepower continues to improve by tremendous leaps and bounds. Granted, studios like Pixar do push the technology they have available to the limit. But today's computers, graphics cards, etc. are hundreds of times more powerful than PCs of just a few years ago. It's going to be over 2 years before Dreamworks' "Monsters vs. Aliens[/i] hits theater screens. By that time any high end gaming computer bought today wouldn't compare well next to an entry level machine bought new 2 years from now.

When it comes to the polarizing method of 3D, I don't think there's any way one can make that work with back-lighted, traditional television sets, whether they're CRT, plasma, LCD or whatever. The trick works by polarizing light beams from a projector and the 3D glasses correctly filtering the reflected light from the silver projection screen. You're not looking at reflected light when watching any back-lit TV set.

To get 3D in the home, one would need a video projector with an active polarizer filter attached to it. Or they would have to align two synchronized video projectors, each with circular polarizer filters turned in opposite phase with each other. Either setup would be expensive. Most people aren't very turned on by video projectors in the first place; they typically want a one-piece TV, preferably a thin, sexy one they can hang on a wall.

I've seen demonstrations of other 3D methods for TV and computer screens. The formats haven't been as effective as polarized 3D. Then there's the high price and lack of product as well.

I suppose some electronics genius somewhere could figure out how to get really good 3D video into the home. Computer gaming would be a huge potential market if the technology could work.

Dolby reportedly has a new 3D system they say is ready for demonstration. They claim it is compatible with standard high gain screens and that silver screens are not necessary. Is it based on something different than polarization? Most important: does it deliver results as good as polarized 3D on silver screens? I'll remain skeptical until I see a successful demonstration.

Some gripe about the higher cost of RealD ticket prices and royalty fees. Doesn't some of that go to pay for many thousands of plastic 3D glasses given away at movie showings? Movie theater staff cannot collect and re-use those glasses -not unless they want to install an antiseptic washing system to clean them between each show. I don't want to get head lice from used RealD glasses!

quote: Chris Parry
Sports Illustrated had no trouble adding 3-D to their recent Swimsuit Issue. And I seem to recall a Three Stooges film being shown on TV as 3D about twenty years ago - there were free glasses in our daily newspaper and it (mostly) worked like film.
I assume you're referring to the old and pretty crappy red/blue 3D glasses method, right? That trick has been applied to printed comic books and a number of black and white movies. I think Shark Boy and Lava Girl or some other recent kids movie also tried to use the old red/blue lens trick as well (with very limited, mediocre results).

It's a different thing entirely to get full color 3D video happening in the home.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even your average multiplex screen is 'unreplicatable at home'. Our studio can be converted into what would be considered a decent home cinema setup, yet it still doesn't come near to the worst screens at the cinemas I've worked in.

I'm all for 3-D digital films but the studios still seem to be ignoring the fact that the poor quality of their output is the major problem they face. The best CGI kids film I saw last year was Over The Hedge and it was just about fun at best.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2007 04:07 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I suppose some electronics genius somewhere could figure out how to get really good 3D video into the home. Computer gaming would be a huge potential market if the technology could work.
i think computer gaming alone could drive such a development and then home 3d "movies" would fall right into place.

the most "unreplicatable" thing about film remains film itself. not entirely, of course, since 8mm and 16mm have been around as home formats for a long time and some do have 35mm at home. but it will always be too expensive and difficult for the mainstream, and the smaller gauges are disappearing anyways, which really is too bad.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-14-2007 03:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't the two blue laser formats already support the possibility of two video streams? I thought I read that somewhere.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff Katzenberg now
quote:
"This is the first thing I've ever seen that is an actual opportunity for the movie business to become something completely new and unreplicatable at home."
Jeff Katzenberg in 2000
quote:
Q: Are you still planning to take Shrek to the IMAX form several months into release, or at the end of the year?

JK: We're trying. We are creating the digital file that would allow us to do that. The problem is the entire exhibitions industry in the United States of America has filed for bankruptcy in the last four months, so that's prohibitive. Unless we can get out into 100 theaters, it's going to be very, very difficult to do. What I'm certain of is that it will have value someday. I would love to be able to do it immediately. We are creating a 3-D, digital IMAX file. When and where and how we get it out there into the world, I'm not sure of. But I am sure that the file will be of great value at some point.

I saw a great technology the other day that, for about $20, there's an attachment that you can put on a VCR or a DVD player that would allow you to watch a pretty compelling 3-D presentation on your television set. That price point is pretty good. So we're ahead of the curve here right now. I don't know whether we're ahead of the curve by three months, six months, 12 months, 18 months. We're not years ahead of it. So, at some point, that 3-D file will make its way out into the world.

Full 2000 Interview

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-14-2007 05:30 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.

He should run for congress or something.

Chris Parry
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2007 01:10 PM      Profile for Chris Parry   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Parry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem is the entire exhibitions industry in the United States of America has filed for bankruptcy in the last four months, so that's prohibitive.
Gee, I wonder why that might be.

So I guess we'll see Dreamworks improving the ticket split sometime soon, huh?

[Roll Eyes]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-19-2007 09:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who said that? They are wrong. Since the mid-80, I've purchased at least ten 3D videos, mostly the 50s classics -- THE HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER, FORT TI, and the 80s -- AW'S FRANKENSTEIN, JAWS 3D, HALLOWEEN 3D, etc. All are in sequential frame 3D using the IMAX-type LCD shutter glasses and a very simple driver circuit about the size of a pack of cigarettes into which you plug the video output of the VCR (or DVDs) and that tells which eye shutter should be opened and which shut. You can use it with any display type, LCD, plasma, old CRT tubes, video projectors -- it doesn't matter because it doesn't rely on polarization. I project an 8ft picture using an old three gun Advent Video beam and the 3D depth is every bit as good as the original film 3D.

The important thing is, this is a VERY reasonably priced system. And it's not proprietary -- many manufacturers make the glasses -- I got a few from Toshiba:  - (Sorry for the focus)

I've got another bunch which I got from Nintendo -- they all work the same. Mine are are wired; for a little more $$, you can get IR versions that need no wire hookup at all, just like the ones that IMAX uses:  -

And they are activate by this little, inexpensive driver unit (sitting on top of the 3DTV Corp's SVHS copy of AW'S FRANKENSTEIN):  -

The only thing about this system is that it does produce slightly more noticeable flicker than watching a normal NTSC signal, but it's not objectionable; in fact, I've shown these titles to many family and friends and everyone to a person is amazed and thrilled by it. They are wildly impressed with the 3D depth. Plus, they can't understand how I've got 3D movies that they've never seen in the rental stores, or heard of this system.

I am certain with a little tweaking and better transfers, and these old classic titles are transfered to DVD and high def, they will figure out a way to reduce the slight flicker, but even if they don't, the 3D is perfectly watchable and enjoyable.

My point is, that given there is an existing method of doing home video 3D, and at a cost-point that is very do-able for the average Joe -- the control box cost about $75 and each pair of shutter glasses cost around $70 -- does anyone REALLY think that the Dreamworks, Pixar, Disney et al are going to limit themselves to releasing their new blockbuster 3D films ONLY to theatres then there is a whole consumer market out there just waiting to pay plenty of $$ to get their fat little hands on these 3D releases for their home theatre screens in 3D? I think not. I wouldn't even put it past the studios to release their 3D titles to the DVD market in horrible anaglyphic, just to grab that lucrative home market. But with this much better LCD shutter system, there is no doubt in my mind that they will eventually make any new 3D release on which they spend millions to produce, available to the vast home video market which we already know brings in more revenue than the theatrical run.

And once again, the exhibitor invested in digital video with the unspoken hope that he will have something totally unavailable to the home video screen, STILL won't have anything the public can't get at home, even though he's had to sell his first born to install that spanking new digital video projector. So sad.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-20-2007 12:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is cool technology, but it doesn't work on my rear projection HD TV. I'm told that it has something to do with that type of TV not updating the fields in a predictable way or something.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It's a different thing entirely to get full color 3D video happening in the home.
There have been some TV programs made using the Pulfrich effect which only required low cost glasses to watch (and could be watched without glasses.

There would need to be a change in the cinematography, with the camera always moving the same way relative to the background.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-20-2007 06:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The camera always has to move the same way relative to the background for the 3D effect to work? I'd call that a deal breaker for the format.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: