Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Consolidated Theatres in NC

Author Topic: Consolidated Theatres in NC
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for any info on the Consolidated Theatre Chain that is based out of North Carolina (not the one in Hawaii).

I have done the Internet searches. I am looking for anyone that has serviced their theatres, or works there. Just looking to see what type of company they are. Herman Stone is the CEO, I know he sold his original company to Regal a number of years ago.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2007 09:11 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had applied to them for a position before i obtained the job I have now. If you wish to email me I will be glad to email you the information i have

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know they just built a huge 14 screen complex here in Wilson County, TN in the Providence Marketplace in Mt. Juliet. Gorgeous theatre... although it does resemble a big box.

Kind of put a big hurt on our local independant 10 screen theatre here in town. Surprisingly though... didn't affect my drive-in at all.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2007 10:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
Surprisingly though... didn't affect my drive-in at all.

Not suprising Barry. Drive-ins sort of have a niche that everybody sticks to. It's different than sitting in a movie theatre jammed up by a bunch of people.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis:

I knew of two managers who left the company I worked for and were employed by Consolidated.

From what I heard, they were a good company to work for. There pay scale was higher than my old company and they also had a better bonus program. I would almost swear that they were paid a concession bonus off of per/caps and profit.

I know that they were adamant that no one was allowed in the booth. I tried to get a tour a timne or two.. and even knowing the two persons I did, it was a no go. Perhaps becuase they all knew I worked for the competition.. whow knows...

They also spent a decent amount of money on equipment in the new builds back in the late 90's early 2000's. Our PM tech also serviced a few of Consolidated locations..

Good luck in your research...

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-19-2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would you see in the booth that would work for or against the competition?

I'll never understand some chains. Whether you have a Century projector and we have a Christie, it still runs the same show if you service them well enough. It's no major secret. Grrr.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2007 08:07 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott D. Neff
Hmmm, let's see: Dolby or Panastereo processor vs. some other off name sound processors? QSC amplifiers vs. other brands. Actual sound racks vs. projector consoles that have the entire sound system in it. Mono vs. Stereo sound (yes there are mono houses out there still).

There is a lot. Yes- whatever equipment involved needs to be taken care of. Even the cheapest equipment can run a film. But the picture and sound does make a difference. We all know it.
The follow-up is preventative maintenance - which when you walk into a booth you can tell whether or not they take care of their equipment.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-20-2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you can walk into an auditorium as a paying customer and know whether or not all of the above is true.

I don't need to see the projection room to know whether or not they're cleaning their projectors or maintaining their sound equipment.

The only people who don't allow access to the projection room are people that aren't proud of their operation. -OR- people that have had insurance issues letting non-employees into the booth.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Clean ports, but you can spot that one in the auditorium! to me that shows how serious the projection staff are.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2007 09:35 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question was - what would YOU - meaning I - would see. The average customer doesn't even know what a projection booth is. I just had a conversation with an 'average joe' the other day and he was surprised everything wasn't running off of a DVD player at every major theatre in the U.S. He thought this whole D-Cinema thing was a controversy over theatres wanting to upgrade from a VHS (or tape format) to a DVD (or digital format). When I told him that most theatres were still running 35mm film - he said, and I quote "Damn you guys are really behind the times" - at which point I gave up on the conversation.
[Roll Eyes]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I've seen has been first-class.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2007 08:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
When I told him that most theatres were still running 35mm film - he said, and I quote "Damn you guys are really behind the times" - at which point I gave up on the conversation.

Actually, at last to some extent he is quite correct! 35mm film is old hat, obsolete, and relly very archaic. Todays average film print has even gotten to a point that it is very "unreliable".... you just don't know any longer if what you get will look acceptable or not, many prints look awful. Todays average booth monkey just can't deal with film and theater owners obviously don't care either as long as the cash regester goes ka-ching. I certainly don't see D-Cinema as a cure all but perhaps some other system in a couple of decades might advance to a point that it is.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: