Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Premières, Conferences and Other Events at Movie Theatres

Author Topic: Premières, Conferences and Other Events at Movie Theatres
Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 03:58 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past five years, I've been running special events at the flagship branch of a national operation (for the American audience, a national operation in South Africa is about the size of a state-wide operation there). My efforts were focused on keeping everything flowing smoothly at that one branch at these types of events:

* A simple promotional screening with popcorn and Coke waiting for the guests at the door as they arrived.
* A full scale première with free booze, food, confectionery (popcorn & Coke), celibs and, of course, the movie.
* Seminars / public speaking-type events that didn't involve any movie.
* Events for corporates that didn't involve a movie, but had any combination of all the other elements we can provide.
* Any of the above could involve custom presentation material, like DVD / PowerPoint, etc., for which special equipment and lighting is available, with any extra requirements, like décor and more extensive A/V, hired in.

Ok, so my point is that, here at Film-Tech, you're mostly talking about day-to-day theatre operation, with little emphasis on special events. I think I read somewhere that one of you accommodates religious groups for Sunday worship, but other than that, not much out of the ordinary. On Feb. 19, I'm moving from running this one branch's events to coordinating premières and events on a national basis, and I was wondering about how many of you do these kinds of special events, and whether they're a boon or your bane, any bad experiences with clients, staff or suppliers, or just funny stories you may have.

My exposure to the U.S. movie theater industry is pretty much limited to Film-Tech, so this is the first place I'll come for interesting info!

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-11-2007 09:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These events have a proven record of long term failure in the USA. While there are many reasons for this, my opinion is that the normal staff is stretched fairly thin already. I have thought that a long term approach with a seperate staff might well work. I think you are well ahead of me on this. Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-11-2007 12:51 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Promoting business events or premieres not handled directly by the studios is usually an afterthought in U.S. cinemas. The exception are "party rooms"; especially since some stadium type cinema construction allows a room to be constructed underneath....have a birthday party or other festivity and them go into the auditorium to watch a private show.

My experience out of the USA I see more agressive, coordinated use of properties since some clients are more vertically integrated and can pull it off more easily.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinema I work in does many of the above, Cast an Crew screenings of both Film and T.V, Q&A with directors, Premiers Private functions, Film schools screenings and awards nights. News still photo compilations, French, Spanish , Italian and the Gay and Lesbian Film festivals ect.

With filmmaking being the new rock and roll we also find that there is a market for them to show there short films to there friends in a real cinema.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's some Australian innovation for you - just like what we do. Perhaps the US is stuck in its ways?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you do this sort of stuff beyond a couple of 'flagship' venues? To be honest there are four or five like this in the company I worked for, beyond that it is based on the quality of your film manager.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-12-2007 07:45 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do conferences, meetings, regional premieres, HBO specials, private screenings, etc. frequently. These events are an excellent source of revenue, especially when done during hours outside regular movie times. Frequently the upper lobby is rented along with the balcony so that the movie can be included in a private party held during regular hours.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice - that's what I'm talking about! It is true that this regularly happens at only a couple of our 'flagship' venues, but the intention is to grow this area of the business, hence my interest in your experiences. I expected CA (and Curb Your Enthusiasm comes to mind) for the types of screenings you mentioned, but HBO in VA, hmmm...

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-20-2007 07:48 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done many of those types of screenings in Hollywood or Westwood CA area theatres and here in Manhattan, NYC. The studio buys the house for the entire day. You have a full sound call with a Dolby Tech, as either editorial or yourself builds-up the print and you do a run through of the entire picture. And you report back to the booth an hour before showtime. Here in NYC, I do many cast & crew, editorial Post-Production, critic, Guild and special talent type screenings. It can be 35mm to HD type screenings.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-22-2007 07:53 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back on one of those screenings, I built a print when it came in, they wouldn't run it, and had their tech build the back up print. I watched him put 3 reels in the wrong order because he was talking on his cell. It wasn't my day to supervise this guy, he had been a prick to work with so I figured he had it coming so I said nothing. No prescreening. After the changeover, it went to hell, chaos. Big wigs and people very impressed with themselves mad as hell. They put on my print, Ha! it was right. The prick got a magnificent ass reaming at the end of the film, I loved it.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the distributors want or are willing to pay for is a big factor in how previews go. We had Buena Vista come in a couple months before 'The Guardian' was released. It was a test screening I guess, had focus groups in the bar afterwards. They took over our largest screen for the day, had three heavys on the door taking coats and mobile phones and one up by the booth. Even had their own projector and technicians.

Conversely when I was on floor we had a BAFTA preview for 'Munich', they just had a guestlist and one person from UIP downstairs. It was very rushed, they sent out the wrong region screener DVDs to the voters. I know at least one person got in who wasn't meant to be there. Ended up me apologising for my company not employing enough staff.

Also, you might want to look at:
http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/great_offers/#offer806

Odeon are marketing private parties at selected cinemas. Looks like what you want to do perhaps.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 08:45 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Bill: Right on, brother - I feel your pain!

To Caleb: Thanks - that is very very interesting. Hehehe [Razz]

David Graves
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 11:56 AM      Profile for David Graves   Email David Graves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should most certainly pursue all of the above. It's very hard to squeeze revenue out of most theaters, and turning down $2-3k during an otherwise slow weekday would be silly.

My advice- be on site for the first few. Your only job should be to suck up to the client. Even if things go wrong (and until you and your staff figure out the flow of these things, there inevitably will be), if you as the manager are around to let the client know what's happening and that you're trying to fix it, they'll be eternally grateful.

You'll find that even one well-done event will get you 3-5 more, thanks to word of mouth and repeat business. We had one client rent a morning press screening for $500, and they were so pleased that they turned around and over the next year sent us over $45,000 in business- and that $45,000 is pure income, no splitting with any studio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: