Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theater cleaning

Author Topic: Theater cleaning
Bryan Richardson
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Bryan Richardson   Email Bryan Richardson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello-
I'm fairly new to this site and I hope this question hasn't been answered before (I searched pretty extensively before posting). The individual theaters in the cinema I work at are cleaned every night and mopped often, however the floors are looking dirty and there is this black-looking buildup accumulating around the legs of the seat.
The theater is old and it is starting to show. Short of getting on my hands and knees in every theater, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean these floors better than just a mop. The flooring is that vinyl composition tile. I was thinking of getting a power washer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A floor scrubber and power washer, followed by a good sealer or wax should help. I have had pleasant results from ZEP products.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 03:42 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely seal the floor after cleaning. Nothing like that artificial shine, which also helps protects the tiles and makes them easier to clean next time.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2007 07:46 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're looking at syrup building on the standards of the seats. This is likely cuased by not using the proper amount of clean water and degreaser/cleaner additive in the mop water..

A quick way to have this corrected is to use an electric pressure washer to power away the build up.. Something else that helps is to use adequate cleaner, such as greased lightening in the water, assuming that the floor in the auditoriums are concrete.

I was amazed at the DRAMATIC difference I saw when our cleaning service was fired an the new company came in. The new crew changed the mop water TWICE per theatre (16 screens) and used enough cleaner to break down the syrup buildup... They never even thought about using a pressure washer.. Which was fine.. given that it only took about a week to notice the HUGE difference...

A good cleaning service is well worth it... withoout question...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2007 09:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful when using a pressure washer in that to much PSI could blow the tiles right off the floor.

At our theater we usually put together an in-house crew of 5-8 employees who want extra hours after close to wipe down the backs of seats with a cleaning solution and buff with a armor-all. The next evening, the crew comes back and scrubs the floor around each seat. This is mostly done in April - just before the busy season so it can be justified when doing payroll. We have nine auditoriums, so it takes awhile. Your crew size will vary depending on number of screens, but I wouldn't even attempt doing a twin without at least me and two others.

I also believe a good cleaning company is a must.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: