Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Wars 3-D: On Schedule? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Star Wars 3-D: On Schedule?
Tom Tomlinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 12:13 PM      Profile for Tom Tomlinson   Email Tom Tomlinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the anouncement for the 30th anniversary and that "A New hope" would be re-released. Memorial Day is over 3 months away but I haven't read anything online lately about it. Am I being premature? I'm curious if it would have to go up against Pirates 3.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-06-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was Lucas I'd be afraid, very afraid to go up against Pirates and all the other blockbusters that are opening in May. This is one of the strongest May lineups in history and he'd be better advised to spring the Star Wars 3-D in August, when the kids are looking for something to see. After all, the last reissues of SW IV, V and VI happened in the off season (January), so why not do a similar thing with this one?

The gross potential is just not that blockbusterish for a 30 year old movie even if it is in 3D.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-06-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that a traditionally slow time of year would be best for the release. The special editions of Star Wars were released in that manner. Universal did the same thing for the 20th anniversary release of E.T.: The Extraterrestrial, pushing it out into theaters in late March of 2002. The original release was in June of 1982.

I'm also wondering if perhaps the arduous process of converting 30 year old 2D film images into 3D is turning out to be more time consuming than originally planned. Certainly ILM must have some new state of the art custom software to help, but the process still must be very far from anything resembling "easy" or "quick."

Either the technical process is proving to be very challenging, or there may be the possibility George Lucas wants the whole original trilogy redone in 3D.

There's also the somewhat slight possibility the whole endeavor could be scrapped as well. I wasn't really sold with the results of the faux-3D work on Superman Returns. However, the original film elements for Star Wars may yield more sharp detail that can be isolated and manipulated into 3D space (as compared to the 1080p-based video imagery of the Superman installment).

It will be good if the 3D 30th Anniversary release of Star Wars can happen in August. I just wonder if the release will make it to theaters during this calendar year.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article in Time or some other news magazine a few months back where they said that EPISODE I was the one they were working on now. So it looks like they'll be releasing them in story order, which is cool.

But Lucasfilm has said that it's taking longer than they thought it would, and even last summer, they were implying that they'd wait until there were more 3D screens out there.

But the other thing that makes me curious is that they've said that some sort of secret event is in the works for the weekend before Memorial Day that's going to take place in LA. Since their big convention is the week after that, I've been guessing that the mystery event will be some sort of screening. Who knows?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 08:17 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the third dimension going to be stuff like TIE fighters coming out the screen or is it giving depth to the environment?

Lucas should leave the films alone. People just want to see the original Star Wars. Would rather money was spent on some new 70mm prints.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 12:37 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Lucas should leave the films alone. People just want to see the original Star Wars.
I agree 100% [beer]

I think the disastrous special edition should have told him that. Leave the old movie alone. If you want to make us fans happy, put out some 70mm prints. The wheel has been invented, now leave it alone.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 03:14 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly, looking at the old prints, the quality of the special effects is not as good as we like to remember, there are so many shades of black ect, special effects just dont hold up anymore in my opinion

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2007 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron, They were OF THEIR TIME and that is indeed good enough. Believe it or not...it was NEVER the special effects that made the Star Wars movies...they augmented the movies...the STAR WARS movies were fun, that is what made them.

I would love to change the copyright laws such that if a work is remade, that the original version would fall into public domain with perhaps a 5-year grace period from the orignal issuance. It would put a stop to this revisionists BS.

Steve

[ 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 01:11 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The special effects were incredible for the 70's. They were in fact ground breaking. But as Steve pointed out, Star Wars (at least the original trilogy) was never about the special effects, it was all about the story and the characters. The special effects made a great story, even better. With the last 3 movies, George put the special effects first and foremost, leaving the characters to entertain us between special effect shots.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-07-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any S.W. film after the first three are a load of [bs] anyway.

Mark

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been films with better acting, dialogue, story, special effects and cinematography but Star Wars is still something that will remain special to many people for a very long time, as long as Lucas doesn't screw around with the re-releases!

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any S.W. film after the first three are a load of [bs] anyway.

Personally I found the re releases of the first 3 brought them down to the same level, the extended special effects sequences boged down the pacing. Although it did reduce the 2nd and 3rd's feeling of being a big budget muppet movies.

quote: Steve Guttag
They were OF THEIR TIME and that is indeed good enough. Believe it or not..
Absolutely agree with you there! When I saw it first release it was fantastic ! My earlier comments were based on my surprise when I saw a brand new 35mm print in 1994, I agree in principle with George Lucus that the restoration was a good idea, The way he did it was not. The film's special effects should simply have been cleaned up, not extended.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 11:41 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree that the special effects were not only good for their time, but more precisely, epic, they could use some modern touch-ups. "Special Edition" should have sufficed with that. Being simply a facelift, and cleanup. For example, fixing the transparancy issues during the cockpit shots. Leave the story, and scene cuts and all alone. Don't revise it.
If you can do that then leave it as is. War of the Worlds has what today would be laughable special effects, but were top of the line in it's day. Even with that, it's still a quite enjoyable movie. Talk about a movie that could use a touch-up. Replace those glass domes, with something more forcefield-ish, but for god sakes, don't replace the fighting machines with CGI ones.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is Lucas' movie, and he should be able to do whatever he wants to it. What he wants is for all six of the movies to work as a seamless cohesive whole. Right now, they don't. But the revisions make them work better than they would have originally. Despite what he's said, I think more changes will be made and eventually the movies will be seamless.

That being said, I still think that the originals should exist as a historical document, and I have major issues with changes being made to EMPIRE and JEDI without director approval (which proves rather challenging in JEDI's case).

And for those who don't like the movies being converted to 3D, well, that's why God created the eye patch.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2007 12:42 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you'd look like a pirate, which only means you shouldn't be watching Star Wars at all. Instead you should be watching Pirates 3, since it seems they'll be out at the same time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: