Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal to buy Movico (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal to buy Movico
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 12:26 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that Regal Cinemas is in the negotiation stages of purchasing the Movico Chain. Our representative that does our carpet cleaning stopped in and setup their date to come in and mentioned this, as Muvico won't give them a yes or no until the deal is signed and has a press release or vetoed. Does anyone have information on this?

[ 02-06-2007, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Dieter ]

|  IP: Logged

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 06:15 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything on this but this is odd for Regal, they ussually don't position themselves to upscale movie goers the way National Amusements and Muvico do with bars and expanded snack offerings. From what I understand Muvico's lounge in Bocca is very successful, would Regal close, I seem to remember them saying they are only in the "movie and snack bar business" that they don't focus on extended menu offerings.

Secondly, if they bought Muvico, Regal would take over the Medowlands Xanadu, some 4 miles away from where Regal tried to open two theaters in the low income neighborhood of North Bergen, Nj a few years ago. The 13-screen Bergen Plaza was a discount house less than a year after it opened, the 12-screen Columbia Park was later sold to a discount opperator. Xandu is a better location but I'd hope the larger than life Muvico sites would have their own brand idenity in the circut the way that The Bridge and the other Cinema De Lux sites do in National Amusement's chain.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Muvico has been up for sale. I am not suprised by this. With Regal's business plan and some of those Megas that Muvico operates - it's a win win situation. As far as Muvico's future locations - I am sure the Regal Real Estate team can spin the leases. Not to mention they can shed any unwanted locations in the next bankruptcy. [puke]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 09:27 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although this is certainly possible as Muvico is up for sale (hence the big fight between the board and the CEO that was fired) and they were working on a deal with AMC a couple of years ago, I doubt the carpet cleaning guy would be privy to these negotiations.

The one in Boca Raton and the one in Davie do astronomical business. $12+ million a year in box office.

Muvico also has locations like Ybor City in Tampa that don't do very much business at all but cary huge debt service because of the very high construction cost.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 01:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying that the person that came into schedule our cleaning was correct, or that they are in on the negotiations. This was information she got from the GM of a theatre that she was trying setup a new account with Muvico, but if Regal were to buy them out they would keep their contract and Regal would want them to do all their carpet in Florida.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-06-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of surprised to see this Muvico buy-out news. Regal is selling any theaters it has in Oklahoma.

The company opened the Crossroads 16 near Crossroads Mall in the southern part of Oklahoma City a few years ago. The Mall itself is in very serious decline. Competition from other malls is fierce and the immediate area around Crossroads Mall is dangerous. A few miles farther south along I-35, Warren Theaters is finally building their new luxurious and huge Warren 20 in Moore, OK. All those factors seem to spell near certain doom for the Crossroads 16 theater.

The last theater chain to do a complete pull out from Oklahoma: General Cinemas. They went out of business not long after that.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Regal is selling any theaters it has in Oklahoma.
Crossroads was the only Regal in OK. It wasn't a bad theatre. It's now an AMC.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 07:22 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cory Isemann
Crossroads was the only Regal in OK. It wasn't a bad theatre. It's now an AMC.
If it wasn't for certain laws put in place Regal and AMC would have merged already.

I give it less than ten years before a merger comes up between these two. Hell, in twenty there may be only one major theatre chain in the U.S.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-07-2007 08:55 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...if there are any movie theater chains left.

Some of the hair-brained ideas various widget-selling business people keep floating (such as releasing movies on video the same day they appear in theaters), combined with certain trends in technology, make the long term view more than a bit scary.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2007 09:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...that makes one wonder then if the Gov't will step in to control any of these potiental monopolies...as they did with MaBell...

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, the mega companies(company) find themselves too bloated to adapt/adjust with changing technologies, market trends, financial demands, etc. at an acceptable rate.

As easily as I could picture the industry consisting of a monopoly, I could picture a "super" company imploding under it's own size and the industry returning to smaller, market tailored companies.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should we be afraid that Sumner Redstone wants his daughter to sell National Amusement's theaters (she claims the future is in going upscale and therefore is building Cinema De Lux sites). I'd hate to see AMC and Regal controll everything, but it seems to be moving towards a total consolidation. There are a few regional players that I don't think would "sell out" - Bow Tie Cinemas is one, a growing chain that also is attempting to make cinema going more upscale. But, in the view of Regal, I think, they don't view film going as an upscale activity - most weatlhy people likely have large screen TVs and may perfer DVD. AMC it should be noted in NJ has only changed signs at their former General Cinema and Loews sites, which is unfortunate since a good number of Loews sites were in poor repair and still are. Shortening the DVD window, thus taking the emphisis off of the movie going experience is indangering the cinema, I hope its stopped or curbed. It's one thing when a small indie film that most people wouldn't have been aware of or had access to at their local multiplex is on DVD, HD Net or IFC on demand while its at the IFC Center, but its another when a major Hollywood movie is on DVD only a few months after it plays in theaters. At the same time Muvico, Cinema De Lux, and Hamid Hashemi's iPic should be recongized as the future in exhibition, AMC only opperates sites like this from GC/Loews mergers (outside of their Buckhead Backlot), Regal as far I know does not.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be of some interest, in regards to this thread:

Regal to take over Pointe Orlando theaters
Orlando Business Journal - 8:32 AM EST Friday, February 16, 2007
quote:
Regal Entertainment Group will take over the 21-screen theater complex at Pointe Orlando effective March 1, according to New Plan Excel Realty Trust Inc., the owner and operator of the lifestyle center.

The theaters will be closed until early summer for renovations, including the installation of Imax motion picture equipment. The current operator, Fort Lauderdale-based Muvico Theaters, had originally installed the oversized projection system and screen, but removed the equipment in March 2001.

The theater includes 67,726 square feet and 3,300 stadium-style seats. The current ticket tower is also being relocated to the first floor with an adjacent vehicle drop-off and pick-up area for easier access.

Pointe Orlando is in the middle of a $40 million renovation that has already seen four new restaurant additions. Five more restaurants and at least five new retail locations will be opening by the end of the summer.

New Plan (NYSE: NXL) is a self-administered and self-managed REIT, with a national portfolio of 477 properties, including 175 properties held through joint ventures, and total assets of approximately $3.5 billion.

Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) is the largest motion picture exhibitor in the world, operating theaters under the Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres brands. They operate 6,403 screens in 39 states and the District of Columbia, about 18 percent of all indoor screens in the United States including 11 theaters in Central Florida.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-19-2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a lease issue. Perhaps the landlord wanted Muvico out and a more friendly operator in.

Matt Kerekes
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 10:28 AM      Profile for Matt Kerekes   Email Matt Kerekes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else want to see Regal STOP expanding as much as they are?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: