Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Lobby Decor in a new Regal (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Lobby Decor in a new Regal
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-30-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: I changed the title of the thread because the lobby turned out looking pretty good to me (read further in the thread). [Razz]

I was at Valley River Mall here in Eugene today. Walked over to where the new 15-plex is going up. You can see the lobby and concessions area through the construction viewing windows. Lots of reds, orange, yellow, creme colors, very warm, looks ok. So far so good.

But then there's the massive wall above the concessions stand. In giant letters, randomly placed several times, is the text "REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP". WTF? They might as well put their stock symbol "RGC" up there too along with a ticker showing the current share price. Maybe a big giant painting of Philip Anschutz.

[ 02-20-2007, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-30-2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean something like this?

Alhambra Renaissance 14

This theater was one of those that Edwards started building right before the takeover by REG, so the outside is all Edwards-y and the inside is all Regal-y.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-30-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goddam, that's ugly! Admittedly this new build isn't finished and there's nothing up there but this text right now, probably gets some more graphics, but still. At least Cinemark 17 here has a nice Hollywood-theme mural and not just a big ugly "Cinemark" logo. It's about entertaining the customer, not promoting the company.

Jeff Arellano
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Alhambra Regal is damn ugly inside.

I really can't wait to see how Anschultz designs the interior of the flagship of Regal....the LA Live theatre scheduled for next year (even though they are still working on the parking structure underground).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-31-2006 02:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that's all of the good ol' "classic" EDW's looks inside at the Alhambra 14 - the carpet pattern and the usage of marble floors are the same as the two EDW 14 units that are here in Idaho but with a slightly different floor layout-with the same high lobby ceiling.

Yet, hallway to the entrances for the smaller auditoriums on each side is basically the same with the two big houses directly behind the snakbar.

Just the usage of "Stadium Theatres" on the front of the Alhambra building looks like a font that REG uses.

You're gonna have to leave Anchutz out of the design thing - he's just the main investor of those three companies that he took control of and he placed REGAL in charge of these three companies in their operations.
-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-31-2006 04:32 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The basic architecture of Alhambra is Edwards, however the touches are Regal. For instance, the large space occupied by the logo was most likely intended for one of the Edwards murals. Edwards wouldn't have painted anywhere in the lobby that shade of yellow either.

As far as REG's newest builds, I think that they've shown a significant improvement over the design of many of their late 90s locations.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, our interior is pretty ugly. Add to it we're over 20 years old, so the painted cinder block has a nice caked effect. Remember public schools, where the brick didn't have any texture anymore, just shiny white paint? Kinda like that, though not as bad, yet. The color scheme is what gets me. I'll see if I can arrange some pics. We are a REG. Was Litchfield, then simply Regal, now Regal Entertainment Group.

I don't think I'm supposed to take and post pics of my own theatre, not sure. Else fails, I'm sure I have a friend willing to post them. [Big Grin]

John Alan Petrey
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2006 11:08 AM      Profile for John Alan Petrey   Email John Alan Petrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[fu]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that was uncalled for. I wonder if your figer may be injured, and you're trying to show me the injury. But most likely it is more childish games. Anyhoo, back to the subject at hand. Our interior color scheme is like something I'd do on a roller coaster on RCT. I always paint them all putrid, I think somehow it adds to the puke fator of the ride. [Big Grin]

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2006 01:42 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John, out of now 15 posts, how many are of you waving that thing around? You keep doing that and it's going to get snapped off. [Smile]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-31-2006 06:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Alhambra 14 is gorgeous compared to Regal's Virginia Center complex in Richmond, Va. Low ceilings, lots of almost institutional greens, like going into a cave. Clean and never had an issue there though.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
like going into a cave
Yes, Bill is right on there. I have actually gone and replaced all of the hallway ceiling lights with fluorescent bulbs, seems to have made a difference, makes the hallways a little brighter. We got new carpet and newer seats in the older part of the building.

Our building is an older design that I wish they'd do a little more to update just for appearance's sake. The Kiln Creek Stadium 20 in Norfolk (VA) is a perfect example. Renovations completed recently included a new concession stand, new carpet and seats throughout the building, a party room, and new wallpaper. Looks really spiffy.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 10:31 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
REG sucks. [Razz]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 02:32 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
REG sucks.
Yeah, I'm sure they're not the finest, but I've worked for worse, far worse. [Cool]

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was more talkin' from a patron's POV...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: