Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Manager and Staff Member

Author Topic: Manager and Staff Member
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I just wanted to see how many, if any, were in the same boat as me. I was originally hired in as a staff member and then was promoted to Manager, but the scheduling manager still schedules me as a staffer(at the lower rate of course). This wouldn't be a big deal, but since I'm around the same age as most of my staff, it does create some politics. Hopefully tonight is my last staff night though.

So, are any of you in this boat and have you had any problems because of it?

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll always have opposition from mediocre minds. Remember that.
No matter what the position.

How you carry yourself though will affect you more than any of their nonsense.
Be confident and step correctly. Be sure that what you're doing is right and all they'll have is hollow insults for the goody-two-shoes that earns his daily bread.
And since they are after all hollow insults bred out of jealousy and their own insignificance you don't need to busy your mind with it.

Ignore it and it will go away. Give it your attention and you'll only attract more of it.

Sorry it's not more technical than that but attitude plays a huge role.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not unusual for my managers to assume staff positions - especially in the off season. However, even if they are covering a box shoft or whatnot, they still get their same rate of pay and are expected to present themselves as a member of management.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
That's always a difficult adjustment and the staffing manager isn't making it any easier for you. Hopefully, you'll be scheduled as a manager soon and the staff/manager separation will be official. However, even with the official separation, there will be a transition period, where people adjust to your new role. As long as you conduct yourself in a "professional management" fashion, people will learn to make that adjustment.

The two biggest mistakes I've seen in this sort of situation are either new managers trying to remain "one of the guys" with staff, or taking the opposite extreme of being too gung-ho in their transition. I.E. You'll need to create a professional distance from your former role and embrace your new position, without alienating/offending those you now manage.

This issue is exactly why many large chains require individuals to transfer theatres when they are promoted to management roles.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Thank you for your replies. I've been a manager now for about 5 months at this current theatre, so the dual job wasn't making anything easier. I requested before to only be a manger, but sometimes the scheduling doesn't allow for that. As of lastnight though, I am now only a manager. I wouldn't mind doing it the way Jim mentions, but at the current location when working staff I was payed less and still expected to do the managerial stuff.

Christopher thank you for the advice. I can understand about being one of the guys or going to far. I try to hit the middle mark, but I'm sure I miss it sometimes still. When needed I have no problem helping the staff--I enjoy helping and running popcorn/concession/box/whatever is needeed. I just know that sometimes it's hard for them to take me seriously as the manager when the day before I was in there spot. Or they expect me to go easy on them because I know what it's like, but I am the type of person who believe if you are going to do the job, you do it right even if it takes longer.

Thank you again for all your advice, I'll think about it during my next shift.

Thanks,
Cody

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: